In This Section:
|Year 1 MathStat|
|Year 2 MathStat|
|Year 3 BSc MathStat|
|Year 3 MMathStat|
|Year 4 MMathStat|
2.3 Year 2 Mathematics & Statistics Course Regulations
Loading / Requirements
The minimum and normal load is 120 CATS.
The maximum load is 150 CATS.
Students must take all core modules and at least 12 CATS of Optional Modules. In addition, students must select an appropriate number of Optional Modules / Unusual Options to reach the minimum load.
It is not permitted to;
- take more than 30 CATS of year 1 modules
- take more than 30 CATS of unusual options
- take more than one of EC204, EC238 and EC239
- take more than one of IB133 and ST335. It will not be possible to take ST335 in a later year if you have chosen IB133 in year 2.
Other module restrictions may also apply as specified in module information pages.
Any modules not listed (including foreign languages) are classed as Unusual Options and permission to take these modules must be obtained with a completed Unusual Option form submitted to the support office by the specified deadline. Unusual options do not count, under any circumstances, towards required CATS described in the course regulations for Core Modules, Optional Modules or letter Lists (e.g. List A, List B etc.). Further information about Unusual Options and deadlines can be found in section 3.4 of the handbook.
|Module Code||Module Name||CATS||Term†|
|MA258||Mathematical Analysis III||12||1|
|ST218||Mathematical Statistics Part A||12||1|
|ST219||Mathematical Statistics Part B||12||2|
|ST221||Linear Statistical Modelling||12||2 & 3|
Optional modules are subject to change from year to year and some modules may be subject to availability / module pre-registration.
†The teaching term shown is for information only and does not form part of the official course regulations. Variations observed on the module pages and / or university timetable should be considered to be a more definitive source of information.
Notes on Course Regulations
- When choosing 2nd year optional modules consider which modules are prerequisites for modules that you wish to take in later years. For the MMathStat degree the Pathways in the MMathStat Degree web-page illustrates example pathways for a number of different specialisations: warwick.ac.uk/mathstatpathways
- Some optional modules are only offered subject to availability. In particular, WBS normally restricts module pre-registrations for IB modules to 45 CATS for MathStat and MMathStat students.
- Students who have taken IB133 Foundations of Accounting may not take ST335 Finance and Financial Reporting.
- Note that IB132 Foundations of Finance is a prerequisite for IB253 Principles of Finance 1 for Statistics students.
- From 19/20 onwards: IB211 has been replaced by IB320, which is offered as 12 and 15 CATS variants. Second year students who wish to take IB320 must take the 12 CATS variant. Students who have already taken IB211 Simulation are not permitted to take IB320.
Second Year Learning Outcomes
After completing the second year the students will have:
- Covered a range of carefully selected material in mathematics and statistics, and studied some of it in depth.
- Acquired sufficient knowledge and understanding to be in a position to make an informed choice of options in their final year and to have covered the background necessary to pursue these options.