In This Section:
|Year 1 MORSE|
|Year 2 MORSE|
|Year 3 BSc MORSE|
|Year 3 MMORSE|
|Year 4 MMORSE|
2.13 Year 4 MMORSE Course Regulations - All Streams
Loading / Requirements
The minimum and normal load is 120 CATS.
The maximum load is 150 CATS.
Students must take, over their third and fourth years, at least 210 CATS of level 3+ modules including at least 120 CATS of level 4+ modules given by the Departments of Economics, Mathematics, Statistics and Warwick Business School.
At least 90 CATS of level 4+ modules must be taken in the fourth year. (NB: Level 3+ should be interpreted as: xx3xx, xx4xx, xx5xx, xx9xx. Level 4+ should be interpreted as:- xx4xx, xx5xx, xx9xx)
There are additional requirements for each stream which must also be satisfied.
It is not permitted to;
- take more than 30 CATS of unusual options
- take more than one of ST339, EC333 and IB253
- take more than one of ST339 and IB254
- take more than one of EC334 and IB254
- take more than one of ST342 and MA359
- take ST346 in 2020/2021 if you have already taken ST332/ST409
- take the level 3 and level 4 version of the same module
- take module combinations from different streams in year 3 and year 4. Stream transfers are permitted at any time but the module choices must satisfy the requirements for a single stream in both years.
Other module restrictions may also apply as specified in module information pages.
Any modules not listed (including foreign languages) are classed as Unusual Options and permission to take these modules must be obtained with a completed Unusual Option form submitted to the support office by the specified deadline. Unusual options do not count, under any circumstances, towards required CATS described in the course regulations for Core Modules, Optional Modules or letter Lists (e.g. List A, List B etc.). Further information about Unusual Options and deadlines can be found in section 3.4 of the handbook.
Notes on Course Regulations
- Students entering in 2020/2021 and later will not be permitted to take Level 2 modules in their fourth year (Note, Level 2 should be interpreted as xx2xx).
- Some optional modules may be subject to availability. Economics modules do not run if there aren’t sufficient numbers and so check with Economics Department. WBS normally restricts module pre-registrations for IB modules to 60 CATS for fourth year MMORSE students (not counting the dissertation module IB403).
- All fourth year students have to complete a dissertation (ST415 or EC400 or IB403) and it is required to pass this module for the award of a Masters
- Certain third and final year options have prerequisites which are not in the compulsory component of the second year. It is the responsibility of each student to be in a position to understand the modules chosen.
- It is a student’s responsibility to ensure that the modules they are following are permitted — either because the modules are given explicitly as options by the regulations or because permission has been sought and granted by filling in an unusual option form.
- You are not allowed to take both the level 3 and level 4 version of the same module, e.g. ST323 Multivariate Statistics in Year 3 and then ST412 Multivariate Statistics with Advanced Topics in Year 4, or ST343 Topics in Data Science in Year 3 and ST419 Advanced Topics in Data Science in Year 4. So, again, when choosing your 3rd year options it is advisable to consider your 4th year options at the same time.
- The Pathways in the MMathStat degree webpage also provides further examples of module combinations relevant for a career (including a PhD) in Financial Mathematics as well as other specialisations.