I'm an assistant professor at the statistics department at Warwick. My research interests include Monte Carlo methods, statistical inference from stochastic processes and in settings with intractable likelihood, Bayesian nonparametric statistics, coalescent processes, and mathematical population genetics.
Workshop on Modelling and Inference in Genetics
I'm organising a workshop on Modelling and Inference in Genetics on 11-13 December 2019. Registration and submission of posters are now open.
In 2019/20 I am teaching ST341/ST418 Statistical Genetics.
- J Blath, E Buzzoni, J Koskela, and M Wilke Berenguer. Statistical tools for seed bank detection. [arXiv] [GitHub]
- J Koskela, P A Jenkins, A M Johansen, and D Spanò. Asymptotic genealogies of interacting particle systems with an application to sequential Monte Carlo. To appear in Annals of Statistics [arXiv] [WRAP]
- J Koskela, D Spanò, and P A Jenkins. Consistency of Bayesian nonparametric inference for discretely observed jump diffusions. Bernoulli 25(3):2183-2205, 2019 [Bernoulli] [arXiv] [WRAP]
- J Koskela and M Wilke Berenguer. Robust model selection between population growth and multiple merger coalescents. Mathematical Biosciences 311:1-12, 2019 [MB] [arXiv] [WRAP] [GitHub]
- J Koskela. Multi-locus data distinguishes between population growth and multiple merger coalescents. Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology 17(3):20170011, 2018 [SAGMB] [arXiv] [WRAP] [GitHub]
- J Koskela, P A Jenkins, and D Spanò. Bayesian nonparametric inference for Λ-coalescents: posterior consistency and a parametric method. Bernoulli 24(3):2122-2153, 2018 [Bernoulli] [arXiv] [WRAP]
- J Koskela, D Spanò, and P A Jenkins. Inference and rare event simulation for stopped Markov processes via reverse-time sequential Monte Carlo. Statistics and Computing 28(1):131-144, 2018 [S&C] [arXiv] [WRAP]
- J Koskela, P A Jenkins, and D Spanò. Computational inference beyond Kingman's coalescent. Journal of Applied Probability 52(2):519-537, 2015 [JAP] [arXiv] [WRAP]
- EPSRC New Investigator Award EP/R044732/1 (£100k).
- Co-PI, DFG SPP1819 Start-up grant, Population genomics of highly fecund codfish (16k€). Joint with Bjarki Eldon (PI) and Maite Wilke Berenguer (Co-PI).
Other grant involvement
- Collaborator, Icelandic Centre for Research Grant of Excellence 185151-051, Population genomics of highly fecund codfish. PIs: Einar Arnason (corresponding PI, University of Iceland), Katrin Halldorsdottir (University of Iceland), Alison Etheridge (University of Oxford), Wolfgang Stephan (Berlin Natural History Museum), Bjarki Eldon (Berlin Natural History Museum).
- 2016-2017: Postdoc with Jochen Blath at TU Berlin.
- 2013-2016: PhD with Dario Spanò and Paul Jenkins at MASDOC at the University of Warwick. My thesis is available here.
- 2012-2013: MSc with Dario Spanò and Paul Jenkins at MASDOC at the University of Warwick
- 2008-2012: MMORSE at the Department of Statistics at the University of Warwick.
- Suzie Brown (joint with Adam Johansen)
- Jaromir Sant (joint with Paul Jenkins)
- I'm also working with Phil Hanson (supervised by Dario Spanò and Paul Jenkins)
Prospective students should feel free to get in touch. See here for some illustrative ideas of directions for projects.
+44(0)24 7652 8068
j dot koskela at warwick dot ac dot uk