I am a third year PhD student in the Department of Statistics at the University of Warwick, under the supervision of Professor David Firth.
My current research interests are in the area of network analysis, in particular rating and community detection. Outside of statistics, I have interests in sport, economics, politics, finance, organisational culture, law, philosophy, and education, and am always on the look out for how my research can intersect with these areas.
Prior to embarking on a PhD, I completed an MSc in Statistics at the University of Warwick, having returned to study after a career as a Foreign Exchange trader in London and Singapore. I hold a BA in Mathematical Sciences from the University of Oxford.
Content is presented here in the hope that it will not only be of interest to readers but may advance their own research ideas, as well as my own. In that spirit, if you are interested in understanding anything more or have suggestions or comments on my approaches, or even if you just enjoyed reading them, please do get in touch. If you use any of this in your own work please acknowledge appropriately.
- "An Intransitive 'better than'" - updated May 2020 - a philosophical discussion of the nature of the relation 'better than'
- "Investigating fixture propensity in a school sports network using latent space models" - updated April 2020
- "Sports Ranking : better than, desert, and why the NCAA have got it wrong" - updated November 2019 - a philosophical justification for a retrodictive approach to ranking (work in progress)
- "Daily Mail Trophy Ranking Methodology" - March 2019 - a consultative report for the organisers of the Daily Mail Trophy
- "Ranking in Schools Rugby" - August 2018 - MSc Dissertation
- "Predicting the Past: A Retrodictive Model for Modern Rugby Union" - Feb 2020 - a presentation to the Statistics, Probability and Applied Mathematics (SPAAM) seminar at University of Warwick
- "Retrodictive Modeling of Modern Rugby Union" - September 2019 - a poster presented at NESSIS 2019
- "Ranking Methodologies (and a few extra bits)" - November 2018 - a presentation to the Young Researchers Meeting (YRM) at University of Warwick, introducing myself and my MSc work
- Honorary Secretary - Royal Statistical Society, West Midlands Local Group (2018-Present)
- MSc Statistics course representative (2017/18)
- ST111 / 112 Probability A&B (T2 2019/20)
- ST301/413 Bayesian Decision Analysis (T1 2019/20)
- Academic Tutor - Widening Participation (Summer 2019)
- ST111 / 112 Probability A&B (T2 2018/19)
- ST116 Mathematical Techniques (T1 2018/19)
i dot hamilton at warwick dot ac dot uk