Skip to main content Skip to navigation

International Applicants

How can I apply to Warwick's teaching programmes from overseas?

Whatever you need help with, our specialist teams are ready to help.

Can you help me with a visa?

Our Student Opportunity: Immigration and Compliance team has specialists who can advise on whether you have the necessary Visa permissions to study with us.

  • If you're considering the School Direct Salaried route and require a visa, you should contact the school you want to apply to. You will need to hold a visa that permits you to work in the UK, as you'll be required to be employed as an unqualified teacher within a school for the duration of the course.
  • If you're considering the School Direct Tuition Fee route, and you are from outside Europe (EEA and Switzerland) or, from Europe but not eligible for the EU Settlement Scheme we can sponsor a Student Route Visa.
  • If you're considering the PGCE University-led route, and you are from outside Europe (EEA and Switzerland) or, from Europe but not eligible for the EU Settlement Scheme we can sponsor a Student Route Visa.
  • Please be aware that in order to begin the course, you will need to ensure that you have your Visa arrangements fully in place prior to the course start date. If you are applying later than 3 months before your course start date, you may not necessarily have enough time to do so - please contact the Immigration and Compliance Team for advice.

For enquiries related to other types of visas please contact the Student Opportunity: Immigration and Compliance Team at the University of Warwick where there a number of ways of speaking with an advisor.

Will I need to register with the police?

If you are accepted to a course here, please note that some non-EEA International students need to register with the Police upon arrival to the UK. Take a look at our "Registering with the Police" page for more information.

Failure to register with the Police would be a criminal offence, therefore if you are unsure whether you would need to register, please contact our Student Opportunity: Immigration and Compliance Office. Please contact the Student Opportunity: Immigration and Compliance Office for advice and support before you apply.

What are the equivalent qualifications from overseas?

On application, you must have graduated, or be about to graduate, from a UK Higher Educational Institute or equivalent, with a 2:2 or above honours degree. You must also hold at least Grade C in GCSE English Language and Mathematics (and Science, if applying for our Primary PGCE).

If you hold international qualifications, you will need to be able to demonstrate that they are equivalent to our UK entry requirements. You may wish to acquire a NARIC Statement of Comparability before applying (a document that guides universities on how your qualifications relate to UK qualifications and certificates).

This is optional as it does come with a cost, but may be beneficial as not having one may result in delays in the admissions process while we determine the equivalency of your qualifications.

We are unable to accept any equivalence testing offered by other institutions.

Do I need to take any English Language Tests?

If English is not your first language, yes, you will need to undertake an IELTS language test. All of our PGCE courses are Band B, click here for more information regarding the practical English language requirements. An IELTS test will still need to be taken if English is not your first language, even if you have a GCSE qualification. Exceptions may be made if you have been educated entirely in English for the duration of your degree and completed this within the last 2 years before the start date of the PGCE course. Occasionally, we may be able to take into account considerable English language employment history.

Separately, we will look at your English qualification from high/senior school, in order to meet the Government's DfE requirement of demonstrating an English Language GCSE qualification graded at C / 4 (or standard equivalent). If your school qualification is shown to be equivalent to GCSE grade C/4 but considered ‘English as an Alternative Language’ you would need to come in and sit our CTE English equivalence test paper. If you pass this, we will be able to use this pass in combination with your high school qualification certificate to meet the GCSE English Language qualification condition.
If you do not hold a high school qualification in the English Language, we would advise that you sit a GCSE or iGCSE qualification in first language English Language (we are not able to accept equivalence tests in place of this qualification e.g.

During some PGCE Interview Days, there may also be a written English test for applicants of all nationalities, your interview invite would let you know if this is part of your Interview Day activities or not.

What certificates do I need to show you?

We will need to see your original certificates and transcripts in person at the interview stage.

If your certificates are written in a language other than English, we will also need to see a certified translation alongside the original documents.

Do I need to take any Skills Tests?

No, the Department for Education's Professional Skills Tests in numeracy and literacy have now been discarded.

As a Primary trainee, your literacy and numeracy skills will be assessed during the PGCE course. Should it be found that any skills are lacking in these areas, you will be given support from your Personal Tutor, to work on any shortcomings that may be identified whilst you are training.

I've worked in schools overseas, does that count as experience?

Overseas experience in a school will be taken into account, but ideally, we would also expect you to have some experience in a UK school.

Please see our guidance on how to gain school experience.

How will I be interviewed?

Please ensure that you will be able to attend an interview in the UK as all interviews will be held in person at the Centre for Teacher Education.

In exceptional circumstances a Skype interview can be offered, however, this must be a last resort.

What fee status do overseas students have?

If you are a nationality other than 'British' selected on your application you may be classed as having overseas fees status unless proven otherwise.

Please contact our Student Opportunity: Immigration and Compliance Team for advice on your fees status before you apply.

Can I apply for bursaries and scholarships?

International applicants can't apply for UK government bursaries and scholarships, but there may be other financial help available. Please contact student funding to ask your specific question.