What is H5P?
H5P is described by Hart (2017) as a content development tool and an instructional tool as it can be used to create both interactive content and instructional content such as quizzes.
H5P stands for HTML 5 Package and as the name suggests is HTML5-based.
Benefits of H5P
- does not use Flash and consequently works well on mobile devices.
- It is an open source package and you are encouraged to share any resources that you create with it and to add to the open source community if you adapt the code.
- You do not need coding skills to use HTML5 as it has a template-type editor that is quite straightforward to use. You can add your creations to Moodle courses, WordPress and Drupal sites and use them as standalone content on ordinary websites as I've done with the learning theories examples.
- It is a module-based software with lots of different 'modules' that you can use to create different types of content.
- It offers activities from fairly basic presentations to more sophisticated videos with interactive components.
- It is free to use: register on https://h5p.orgLink opens in a new windowLink opens in a new window or use it within your Moodle space by selecting Add an activity or resource link in each section. More details are available here.
Suggested uses include creating:
- anonymous formative assessment to check knowledge and understanding
- flipped learning content
- richer content that is more engaging e.g. for health and safety notifications
- interactive videos with hotspots to add more information and question points to check understanding