Telephone: +44 (0)24 765 75557
Email: Daniel dot Sgroi at warwick dot ac dot uk
Advice & feedback hours: Term 1: Tue 1400-1500, Thu 1000-1100. You must book here in advance.
Professor of Economics
Co-ordinator, Experimental & Behavioural Economics Research Group
Academic Lead, Behaviour, Brain & Society GRP
Associate Member, Nuffield College, Oxford
Research Fellow, IZA Institute of Labor Economics, Bonn
- Behavioural Economics, Experimental Economics, Economics & Psychology.
- Language and Text Analysis, Subjective Well-being, Learning and Beliefs.
Daniel’s current interests lie in attempting to understand how psychological traits, cognitive biases, mood, language and beliefs affect behaviour. He is Co-ordinator of the Experimental and Behavioural Economics Research Group in the Economics Department and is also one of the academic leads of the Behaviour, Brain & Society global research priority (GRP) for Warwick, which oversees the inter-disciplinary DR@W group of behavioural and experimental researchers. Daniel is a member of the World Wellbeing Panel in Barcelona, an Associate Member of Nuffield College at Oxford, a Research Fellow of the IZA in Bonn, and is affiliated with the Behavioural Data Science research programme at the Alan Turing Institute in London. To find out more please visit his personal website.
Current Working Papers
- Self-awareness and Dishonesty,Warwick Economics Research Papers 1307, 2020, with Ceren Cibik Bengu.
- Cultural Identity and Social Capital in Italy, IZA DP 13783, 2020, with Michela Redoano, Federica Liberini, Ben Lockwood, Emanuele Bracco & Francesco Porcelli.
- Climate Change and Diet, IZA DP 13426, 2020, with Neha Bose & Thomas Hills.
- The Effects of Social Capital on Government Performance and Turnover: Theory and Evidence from Italian Municipalities, Warwick Economics Research Papers 1284, 2020, with Ben Lockwood, Francesco Porcelli, Michela Redoano, Emanuele Bracco & Federica Liberini.
- Evaluating the Sunk Cost Effect, CAGE WP 475, 2020, with David Ronayne & Anthony Tuckwell.
- Small Talk and Theory of Mind in Strategic Decision-Making, CAGE WP 409, 2019 (revised August 2020), with Neha Bose.
- Ignoring Good Advice, Warwick Economics Research Papers 1150, 2018, with David Ronayne.
Selected Publications (full list here)
- Happiness, Cooperation and Language, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 168: 209-228, 2019, with Eugenio Proto & Mahnaz Nazneen. WP version entitled The Effect of Positive Mood on Cooperation in Repeated Interaction.
- Historical Analysis of National Subjective Wellbeing using Millions of Digitized Books, Nature: Human Behaviour 15 October 2019, with Thomas Hills, Eugenio Proto & Chanuki Seresinhe. This paper has been cited in the media over 150 times, including the front page of the Times and many radio/TV spots, see here for the press release and initial reactions and here for ongoing reactions.
- Biased Beliefs and Imperfect Information, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization 136: 186-202, 2017, with Eugenio Proto. Final published version.
- Happiness and Productivity, Journal of Labor Economics 33(4): 789-822, 2015 with Andrew Oswald & Eugenio Proto. Final published version here. This paper has been cited in the media over 200 times, see here for initial reactions and here for ongoing reactions, and has over 800 cites on Google Scholar.
- How Should Peer Review Panels Behave? Economic Journal 123(570): 255-278, 2013, with Andrew Oswald. Final published version.
- The Optimal Choice of Pre-launch Reviewer, Journal of Economic Theory 147(3): 1247-1260, 2012, with David Gill. Final published version.
- Herding, Contrarianism and Delay in Financial Market Trading, European Economic Review 56: 1020-1037, 2012, with Andreas Park. Final published version.
- Are Happiness and Productivity Lower among University Students with Newly-Divorced Parents? Experimental Economics 15(1): 1-23, 2012 with Andrew Oswald & Eugenio Proto. Final published version.
- Learning to Play 3x3 Games: Neural Networks as Bounded-Rational Players, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization 69(1): 27-38, 2009, with Daniel J. Zizzo. Final published version.
- Sequential Decisions with Tests, Games & Economic Behavior 63(2): 663-678, 2008, with David Gill. Final published version.
- The Right Choice at the Right Time: A Herding Experiment in Endogenous Time, Experimental Economics 6(2): 159-180, 2003. Final published version.
- Optimizing Information in the Herd: Guinea Pigs, Profits and Welfare, Games & Economic Behavior 39(1): 137-166, 2002. Final published version.