Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Sowmya Wijayambal Arulampalam
Telephone: +44 (0)24 765 23471
Fax:+44 (0)24 765 23032
Email: Wiji dot Arulampalam at warwick dot ac dot uk
Online advice and feedback hours (held via MS Teams; please book a slot using the tab on top)
Monday 11:00 - 12:00 and Wednesday 10:00 - 11:00
If urgent, please email me for a meeting.
RAE consultations only: Please book a slot using the tab on top.
Professor of Economics
Departmental Responsibilities & Affiliations 2020/21
- Diploma Course Director; Introduction slides presented on 28/09/2020; Optional module slides presented on the 30/09/2020.
- Research Fellow - Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA), Bonn, Germany.
- Editorial Board - Foundations and Trends in Econometrics
Research Interests - Applied Econometrics
- Econometrics, Applications in Development, Education, Health, Labour, Public Economics.
Recent Publications (since 2014; for others see my CV - link on the left)
- Taxes and the location of targets. (Arulampalam, Wiji, Michael P. Devereux , Federica Liberini). Journal of Public Economics, (2019). Vol. 176, p.161-178. (ESRC funded). Paper. (ESRC funded). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpubeco.2019.05.005
- The effect of health care expenditure on patient outcomes: Evidence from English neonatal care. (Watson, S. I., Arulampalam, W., Petrou, S.). Health Economics. (2017) Online 12th May. 1–11. . https://doi.org/10.1002/hec.3503
- Modelling heaped durations: an application to neonatal mortality. (Wiji Arulampalam, Valentina Corradi and Daniel Gutknecht). Volume 200, Issue 2, October 2017, Pages 363-377 Journal of Econometrics. Supplementary material.
- The effects of a one to one nurse to patient ratio on the mortality rate in neonatal intensive care: A retrospective, longitudinal, population-based study (Watson, S. I., Arulampalam, W., Petrou, S., Marlow, N., Morgan, A.S., Draper, E.S., Modi, N.). Archives of Disease in Childhood. (2016). Paper. On-line Appendices. Journal editorial. Journal Press Release 10th Feb 2016.
- The effects of designation and volume of neonatal care on mortality and morbidity outcomes of very preterm infants in England: Retrospective population-based cohort study (Watson, S. I., Arulampalam, W., Petrou, S., Marlow, N., Morgan, A.S., Draper, E.S., Modi, N.). British Medical Journal Open. (2014). On-line Appendix A- Methodology; Appendix B- extra tables.
- Unofficial Development Assistance: a dynamic model of charities donation income (With Arulampalam, Peter G Backus and John Micklewright). Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics. Volume 77, Issue 2, pages 191–209, April 2015.
Stata software code
Heap: A command for estimating discrete outcome variable models in the presence of heaping at known points. (Zizhong Yan, Wiji Arulampalam, Valentina Corradi, and Daniel Gutknecht); forthcoming STATA journal.
Working Papers (Recent)
- Maternal autonomy and child nutrition. May 2020. (Wiji Arulampalam, Anjor Bhaskar and Nisha Srivastava). Online appendix. [An earlier version circulated as: Does greater autonomy among women provide the key to better child nutrition? ][ESRC funded]
- Tax progressivity and self-employment dynamics. (Wiji Arulampalam and Andrea Papini). March 2020.
- Intercept Estimation in non-linear Selection Models, (Wiji Arulampalam, Valentina Corradi, and Daniel Gutknecht). Paper, April 2020.
View a list of other working papers.
Current and Recent PhD students
- Bhaskar Chakravorty (with Sudipa Sarkar) Insitute for Employment Research, WBS.
- Eliverta Doko (with Jacob Glazer).
- Recently completed: Andrea Papini (2018); Divya Deepthi (2018); Mario Sanclemente (2016); Sam Watson (2014); Federica Liberini (2013); Artemisa Flores (2013); Marco Alfano (2012); Yu Aoki (2012); Daniel Gutknecht (2012); Francesco Porcelli (2012) ; Rafael Sanchez (2012); Peter Backus (2011); Asako Ohinata (2011).