Supervision Request Email:
Supervising new research projects and the development of PhD research is something I feel passionately about. As such, if you believe that you have a potential PhD thesis, and want me to consider supervising it, then please do contact me on email@example.com with the heading "PhD Supervision Application". You should, however, strongly consider how the thesis fits within my research interests and experience.
Within the email please outline how your research fits with my own. This is important as I receive a considerable number of PhD supervision applications, and so look for the strongest fits with my own research interests. In addition please attach:
1) A Full CV
2) A comprehensive research proposal (between 6-8 A4 pages)
3) The best substantive example of your previous written work
If I do have capacity to take on new PhD candidates, and I feel I have the interest and experience to supervise you, the next step will be to arrange a video-conference call on Skype/Facetime.
The Importance of the Research Proposal:
The MOST important element for me as a supervisor is the research proposal. This is not only because it allows me to see whether the project fits my interests, but because it allows me to see how thoroughly the research project has been designed. This Research Proposal should include:
1) A clear working title for your research project.
2) A clear statement about what you want to work on and why it is important, interesting, relevant and realistic.
3) A strong outline of what the main research objectives are and what problem you are trying to solve.
4) A literature review that outlines of the specific research gap you are filling and the added-value of the research.
5) An extensive outline of the proposed methodology and methods.
6) What you believe the potential impact of the research could be, and who would be interested in the research.
7) Research Strategy, timetable and the obstacles the research may encounter.
8) Consideration of issues around research ethics that the project may face.
9) A Harvard Sytle bibliography (not included in the 6-8 pages).
Examples of Present PhD Supervision Titles:
- Exploring the ontological security dimensions and implications of legislation underpinning the British Government’s Counter Extremism Strategy.
- From Bombs to Ballots: Tracing Hamas's moderation journey from 1996-2006.
- An assessment of the development of G.C.C. countries' security and foreign policy.
- What are the political implications of the trajectory of trade union federations in class-state relationships in the Arab world from independence up to the 2011 Arab uprisings? (Case Studies Tunisia and Morocco).
- Feltrin, Lorenzo (2017) 'The struggles of precarious youth in Tunisia: the case of the Kerkennah movement', Review of African Political Economy
- The rhetoric and reception of U.S. women politicians speeches among Arab women since 9/11.