- Koinova, Maria, "Ethnonationalist Conflict in Postcommunist States: Varieties of Governance in Bulgaria, Macedonia, and Kosovo," University of Pennsylvania Press, 2013.
Tracing the development, continuity and change of informally institutionalized conflict dynamics in Bulgaria, Macedonia and Kosovo, this book analyzes why some conflicts were resolved with minimal violence after the end of communism while others broke out into civil war.
Koinova, Maria. 2017. "Diaspora Mobilization for Conflict and Postconflict Reconstruction: Contextual and Comparative Dimensions," Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, ISI-ranked, online publication on 23 August, 2017, temporary open access.
Koinova, Maria and Gerasimos Tsourapas. 2018. "Migration and Sending States in World Politics," International Political Science Review, expected to be published in 2018.
Koinova, Maria, 2018, forthcoming. "Sending States and Diaspora Positionality in International Relations," International Political Sociology. Short video.
Koinova, Maria. 2018, forthcoming. "Endorsers, Challengers, or Builders: Political Parties' Diaspora Outreach in a Postconflict State," International Political Science Review.
- Koinova, Maria and Gerasimos Tsourapas. 2018, forthcoming. "How Do Countries of Origin Engage Migrants and Diasporas? Multiple Actors and Comparative Perspectives," forthcoming, introductory article to the special issue in International Political Science Review, 2018, forthcoming.
Koinova, Maria. 2017. "Beyond Statist Paradigms: Sociospatial Positionality and Diaspora Mobilization in International Relations," International Studies Review 19 (4): 597-621. Open access, Short video.
Koinova, Maria. 2017. "Diaspora Mobilization for Conflict and Postconflict Reconstruction: Contextual and Comparative Dimensions,” Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, Introductory article to the special issue, ISI-ranked, online publication on 23 August, 2017, temporary open access.
Koinova, Maria. 2017. "Critical Junctures and Transformative Events in Diaspora Mobilization for Kosovo and Palestinian Statehood," Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, ISI-ranked, online publication on 23 August, 2017, free access e-prints.
Koinova, Maria and Dzeneta Karabegovic. 2017. "Diasporas and Transitional Justice: Transnational Activism from Local to Global Levels of Engagement," Global Networks, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 212-233, ISI-ranked. Short video.
Koinova, Maria. 2016. "Sustained vs. Episodic Mobilization among Conflict-generated Diasporas," International Political Science Review, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 500-516. Selected for the IPSR Editors’ Choice Collection “Borders and Margins.” ISI-ranked, open access, short video.
Koinova, Maria. 2016. "How Refugee Diasporas Respond to Trauma," Current History, Vol. 115. No. 784, pp. 322-324, perspective article, invited contribution to a special issue on diasporas.
Koinova, Maria. 2015. "Armenian Diaspora Mobilization in Unity and Diversity," Special issue contribution in German and English in Osteuropa No: 7-10: 285-298, ISI-ranked.
Koinova, Maria. 2014. "Why Do Conflict-generated Diasporas Pursue Sovereignty-based Claims through State-based or Transnational Channels? Armenian, Albanian, and Palestinian Diasporas in the UK Compared," European Journal of International Relations, Vol. 20, No. 4 2014: 1043-1071, ISI-ranked. Short video.
- Koinova, Maria. 2013. "Four Types of Diaspora Mobilization: Albanian Diaspora Activism for Kosovo Independence in the US and the UK," Foreign Policy Analysis, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 433-453, ISI-ranked, open access.
- Koinova, Maria, 2012b. “Autonomy and Positionality in Diaspora Politics,” International Political Sociology, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 99-103, ISI-ranked.
- Koinova, Maria, 2011a. “Challenging Assumptions of the Enlargement Literature: The Impact of the EU on Human and Minority Rights in Macedonia,” Europe-Asia Studies, Vol. 63, No. 5, ISI-ranked.
- Koinova, Maria. 2011b. “Diasporas and Secessionist Conflicts: The Mobilization of the Albanian, Armenian, and Chechen Diasporas,” Ethnic and Racial Studies, Vol.34, No.2, pp. 333-356, ISI-ranked, open access.
- Koinova, Maria. 2011c. “Can Conflict-Generated Diasporas be Moderate Actors during Episodes of Contested Sovereignty? Lebanese and Albanian Diasporas Compared,” Review of International Studies, Vol.37, No.1, pp. 437-462, ISI-ranked.
- Koinova, Maria. 2009a. “Diasporas and Democratization in the Post-communist World,” Communist and Post-communist Studies, Vol. 42 (March), pp. 41-64, ISI-ranked.
- Koinova, Maria, 2009b. “Why Do Ethno-national Conflicts Reach Different Degrees of Violence? Insights from Kosovo, Macedonia and Bulgaria during the 1990s,” Nationalism and Ethnic Politics, Vol. 15 (Spring), pp. 84-108.
- Koinova, Maria, 2008. “Kin-states Intervention in Ethnic Conflicts: Albania and Turkey Compared,” Ethnopolitics, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 373-390.
- Koinova, Maria, 2001. “Saxcoburggotsky and His Catch-All Attitude: Cooperation or Cooptation?” Southeast European Politics, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 135-140.
- Koinova, Maria, 1999. “Ethnic and Religious Minorities in Bulgaria,” South-East Europe Review, No. 2, pp. 147-158.
Book chapters and other publications
Koinova, Maria. 2018. "Diaspora Mobilizations for Conflict: Beyond Amplification and Reduction," in Robin Cohen and Carolin Fisher (eds.) Handbook of Diaspora Studies, London: Routledge, forthcoming.
Koinova, Maria. 2017. “Conflict and Cooperation in Armenian Diaspora Mobilization for Genocide Recognition,” in David Carment and Ariane Sadjed (eds.) Diaspora as Cultures of Cooperation: Global and Local Perspectives. London: Palgrave, pp.111-129.
- Koinova, Maria 2014a. “Diasporas and Contextualized Transnationalism” and “Conclusions” in Dino Abazovic and Mitja Velikonja (eds.) Post-Yugoslavia. New Cultural and Political Perspectives, Palgrave.
- Koinova, Maria 2014b. “Conditionality vs. Socialization: The EU Impact on Human Rights in Macedonia” in Henry Chip Carey (ed.) European Institutions, Democratization, and Human Rights Protection in the European Periphery, 2014, Lanham: Lexington Books.
- Koinova, Maria. 2010a. “Unintended Consequences of Diaspora Entrepreneurship during Post-conflict Reconstruction” The Forum, Center for International Relations, VA, USA, Fall.
- Koinova, Maria, 2010b. “Diasporas and International Politics: Utilizing the Universalistic Creed of Liberalism for Particularistic and Nationalist Purposes” in Rainer Bauböck and Thomas Faist (eds.) Diaspora and Transnationalism. Concepts, Theories, Methodologies, Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press, peer-reviewed.
- Koinova, Maria, 2009. “Conditions and Timing of Moderate Diaspora Mobilization,” Working Paper, George Mason University, Center for Global Studies, Global Migration and Transnational Politics Series, October,
- Koinova, Maria, 2007. “Fragments of Conflict Research,” in Eidelson, Roy et al. eds. Peacemaker 101, Philadelphia, PA: Solomon Asch Center for Ethno-political Conflict.
- Koinova, Maria, 2004. “Understanding the War in Kosovo” by F. Bieber and Zh. Daskalovski. Book Review. Nationalities Papers, June.
- Koinova, Maria, 2003. “Three Outcomes of Ethnic Conflict: The Cases of Bulgaria, Macedonia and Yugoslavia (Kosovo) 1989-1999” in Dimitris Keridis, Ellen Elias-Bursac and Nicholas Yatromonalakis (eds.) New Approaches to Balkan Studies. Dulles, VA: Brassey’s, peer-reviewed.
Koinova Maria and Louis Rodriguez-Pinero Royo. 2000. "The State of Human and Minority Rights, in Italian] pp. 132-148; and Maria Koinova and Eduardo Trillo "Kosovo Roma and Other Minorities"] pp. 151-153. in La Pace Intrattabile. Kosovo 1999/2000: Radiografia del Dopo-bombe [Kosovo 1999-2000. The Intractable Peace. A Radiography of the Early Post-War], edited by Francesco Strazzari, Louis Rodriguez-Royo, Gabriella Arcadu and Barbara Carrai. Trieste, Asterios, peer-reviewed.
Koinova, Maria 2017. "Trouble in Macedonia as Ethnic Tensions Run High," Blog Post in The Conversation, 9 May.
- Koinova, Maria and Daniel Naujoks. 2017. “Global Diaspora Mobilisation. Understanding How EU Member States Can Engage Refugee and Migrant Diasporas,” High Profile Policy Event in Brussels, 28 March.
- Koinova, Maria. 2017. “Close to Home: Involvement of Diasporas in Conflicts and Post-conflict Reconstruction” interview for the European Research Council Brochure on Migration and Asylum, published also separately online on 28 March.
- Koinova, Maria. 2017. “Why is Erdogan Chasing Turkey’s Overseas Voters so Hard?” Blog Post in The Conversation, 16 March.
- Koinova, Maria. 2016. “Diasporas and Contested Sovereignty: An Interview with Prof. Maria Koinova,” Canadian Foreign Policy Journal, 20 October.
- Koinova, Maria and Sjir Shuett 2015. "Refugees and Diasporas in Conflict and Post-conflict Reconstruction," Politics Reconsidered Blog, following a public event at the University of Warwick, December 7.
- Koinova, Maria, Eric Gordy, Waqar Azmi Obe, and Dzeneta Karabegovic 2015. Public Event on "Bosnia-Herzegovina 20 Years After Dayton," University of Warwick, 26 November.
- Koinova, Maria 2015. "Diaspora, Politics, and Armenian Genocide Recognition," Politics Reconsidered Blog, University of Warwick, April 28.
- Koinova, Maria 2015. Public discussion on Armenian Genocide Recognition, following the screening of the film "Grandma's Tatoos," Faculty of Social Sciences Festival, University of Warwick, May 16.
- Koinova, Maria, co-authored with Dzeneta Karabegovic 2015."Remembering Srebrenica in Different Contexts," Politics Reconsidered Blog, University of Warwick, July 17.
- Koinova, Maria 2014 “Referendums: A Legitimate Democratic Tool or a Mechanism for Nationalist Co-optation?” London School of Economics LSEE Blog, June 8.
- Koinova, Maria 2014 “The Ukrainian Crisis and Ethnonationalist Conflict in Postcommunist States" Politics Reconsidered Blog, University of Warwick, May 12.