Meeting of the Assembly to be held on 4 October
The Vice-Chancellor has called a meeting of the Assembly of the University to take place on Wednesday, 4 October from 14:00 to 16:00 in Oculus OC1.05.
This meeting has been requisitioned by members of the Assembly, in accordance with Statute 20, to consider a motion on XXX AGREED TEXT HERE XXXX
Agenda and Motion
The agenda for the meeting, along with the full details of the motion, and a list of the proposers, can be downloaded here:
Who can attend?
As outlined in more detail below, membership of the Assembly extends to all staff employed on academic, research-only and teaching-only terms and conditions, and to all staff employed on level 6-9 terms and conditions.
All those who wish to attend are requested to Register Online no later than Friday, 29 September.
On the day
Attendees are requested to arrive at the Oculus Foyer to register from 14:00. Where possible, we would appreciate it if you are able to arrive to register in good time, to help ensure that everyone is seated prior to the start of the meeting.
Given the position of the Assembly in the University Statute, all those attending the meeting will be asked to present their University card on arrival at the meeting to facilitate the accurate recording of attendance and membership for the purposes of establishing quoracy, in accordance with the requirements of the Standing Orders of the Assembly.
About the Assembly
Charter 15 defines the Assembly of the University as a meeting of members of the academic staff of the University. In line with Charter 16, subject to the provisions of the Charter, Statutes may prescribe the constitution, powers, duties and functions (as the case may be) of the Council, the Senate, the Faculties, the Boards of the Faculties, the Sub-Faculties, the Departments, the Assembly, and such other bodies as may be established.
Statute 20 defines the constitution of the Assembly as follows:
(1) There shall be an Assembly of the University consisting of:
- The Vice-Chancellor
- The Deputy Vice-Chancellor
- The Pro-Vice-Chancellors
- The Professors, Registrar, Readers and other members of the academic staff
- The holders of such other academic, research and administrative posts as may be designated by the Senate
- Such other members of the University as may be nominated by the Senate
The Senate, at its meeting of 26 January 2011, approved the following rules for membership of the Assembly, amended to reflect current employment legislation and harmonised terms and conditions, as set out in paper S.22/10-11 (minute 38/10-11 refers):
- (a) All staff employed on Academic, Research only and Teaching only terms and conditions shall become members of the Assembly from the date of their appointment.
- (b) All staff employed on level 6-9 terms and conditions shall become members of the Assembly from the date of their appointment
The Standing Orders of the Assembly can be found here.