In July 2017, following the 2016/2017 Academic Governance Review, the University Senate and Council approved the disestablishment of the Board of Undergraduate Studies. This page remains live to provide an archive.
Professor Roger Leng
Two full-time members of the academic staff from each of the Faculties:
Dr Helen Wheatley (Arts)
Professor Christoph Mick (Arts)
Dr Paul Matthews (Medicine)
Dr Andrew Clark (Science)
Dr Philip Young (Science)
Dr Juliet Raynsford (Social Sciences)
Ms Tilly Harrison (Social Sciences)
One member of the Board of Graduate Studies appointed by the Senate
Dr Jonathan Pearson
The Chairs of the Undergraduate Studies Committees of the Boards of the Faculty of Arts, Medicine, Science and Social Sciences:
Dr Joanne Lee (Arts)
Professor Lesley Roberts (Medicine)
Dr Dave Britnell (Science)
Ms Elizabeth Jones (Social Sciences) (Deputy Chair)
One member of staff appointed by and from the Centre of Lifelong Learning
Dr Fergus McKay
Two members nominated by the Union of Students
Ms Hope Worsdale
(1) To consider academic issues relating to undergraduate provision offered by individual departments and across departmental boundaries, including matters that may be raised by academic departments and/or Directors of Undergraduate Studies, and make recommendations or comment to the Academic Quality and Standards Committee and/or its sub-groups, the Boards of the Faculties or other appropriate bodies within the University;
(2) To receive and consider as may be appropriate proposals and reports relating to undergraduate academic provision from the relevant sub-groups of the Academic Quality and Standards Committee;
(3) To scrutinise all new undergraduate course proposals and report to the Academic Quality and Standards Committee on the Board’s consideration and approval of such proposals;
(4) To consider relevant issues relating to undergraduate academic provision noted in the Faculty Summary Reports of the Annual Course Review reports, in Strategic Departmental Reviews or by Student-Staff Liaison Committees and liaise with departments as may be appropriate regarding any issues of interest or concern;
(5) To advise the Academic Quality and Standards Committee on matters relating to examinations processes and procedures in undergraduate courses;
(6) To advise the Academic Quality and Standards Committee on the role of internal and external examiners for undergraduate courses;
(7) To consider external examiners’ reports and departmental responses relating to all undergraduate courses, to discuss particular issues of concern with departments and to report to the Academic Quality and Standards Committee annually on issues raised;
(8) To consider and approve submissions from departments and the Undergraduate Studies Committees of the Boards of the Faculties for non-standard examination methods (including seen papers, open-book examinations and reading time);
(9) To consider and approve variations requested on personal grounds in the arrangements for undergraduate examinations for individual students;
(10) To consider all matters affecting undergraduate admissions practices and policy and make recommendations to the Academic Quality and Standards Committee where appropriate;
(11) To consider and approve requests for variations to the University's Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL) policy for individual students or groups of students;
(12) To monitor the approval process for interdisciplinary undergraduate modules developed and offered by the Institute for Advanced Teaching and Learning;
(13) To advise on matters relating to the policy and strategy underpinning the production of the student Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR).
Click here to see a diagrammatic representation of the Committee Structure.
Secretary: Joe Taylor (J dot A dot Taylor at warwick dot ac dot uk or ext: 22633)
Assistant Secretary: Derek Brandist (D dot Brandist at warwick dot ac dot uk or ext: 74049)
Papers for consideration by the Board of Undergraduate Studies should be submitted to the Secretary two weeks in advance of the meeting at which they are to be considered.
Dates of meetings of the Board of Undergraduate Studies can be found within the University Committee Timetable.
Click here to access minutes of previous meetings.