Skip to main content Skip to navigation


These are the guidelines which enable our communities to live successfully together. If you are found in breach of any of these rules then you may go through a disciplinary process. The framework for discipline can be found under the regulations part of this website. It is important you familiarise yourself with these.

IGo to top

Fire alarms

If you hear a continuous fire alarm in your building then you must evacuate immediately by your nearest exit. You must evacuate the building for you own and others safety. Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action.

You need to familiarise yourself with the locations of fire detectors and red break glass points within your block and inform yourself of the alternative means of escape in the event of a fire. If you discover a fire:

  • Raise the alarm by shouting fire.
  • Leave the building immediately, closing any room doors behind you. if you have been cooking in the kitchen ensure you have turned-off the hob / oven / grill before leaving the building.
  • Only use a fire blanket if you are confident that you know how to protect your hands during use.
  • Activate a red break glass if you pass one as you leave.
  • Move away from the building to a place of safety.
  • Report the fire and its location to the Community Safety Team Hub on 024 7652 2222.
  • Stay in a place of safety, keeping socially distant from others who are not in your kitchen group and wait for the attending Community Safety Officers and inform them that you discovered the fire and of any related concerns.
  • Unless instructed otherwise by the attending Community Safety Officers, proceed to the designated assembly point.
  • You must not return to the building until instructed to do so by a Community Safety Officer.

Fire alarms are tested regularly (weekly) at approximately the same time. The alarm will sound for a short duration - unlike a full fire alarm (which sounds continuously). Should you be unable to hear the fire alarm or if you have an issue with evacuating a building is a swift manner then please let your Resident Community Assistant know.

Go to top

Noise in residences

The most common complaint when staying in campus accommodation is noise. Excessive noise at any time of day causes nuisance and can disturb others studying. One antisocial person can disturb the whole residence. Slamming doors, talking and laughing can be extremely irritating to someone trying to work or sleep. Disturbances such as persistently turning up your music, using a Bluetooth speaker, shouting or using your mobile phone during the night can cause annoyance and distress.

Please keep the volume of computers, televisions, speakers and music equipment down at all times. It is recommended that you use headphones to listen to music or online media in order minimise the impact of noise in study bedrooms.

Quiet hours (including exam periods)

Outside of the exam period the quiet hours for halls (which includes study bedrooms, kitchens, corridors and other common areas) are between midnight and 8.00am. The concept of quiet hours does not mean that it is acceptable to make excessive noise in the remaining parts of the residences at other times.

You should be mindful of the noise you make and be considerate of others. Residences are places where students spend time on academic study. Your noise could be disturbing someone who is concentrating on a key assignment, taking part in online learning or who is trying to sleep.

There will be times during the academic year (such as the exam period) when it is important that the rules around noise are obeyed at all times. This means that the quiet hours may be extended. The local Residential Community Team will communicate these quiet periods to residents.

Study bedrooms

Noise that can be heard outside of your study bedroom is not acceptable. Having guests or visitors in your room may well disturb the others around you. The sound of people chatting, laughing or sharing media can carry. You may not be aware of the impact of this noise. If a fellow student or a member of the local Residential Community Team asks you to stop the noise disturbance then please respectfully co-operate with them. This may include asking your guests or visitors to leave your room.

Kitchens and communal areas

Noise from a corridor, entrance or kitchen that disturbs others is not acceptable. The University is a learning environment and it is vital that residents supports this. Please consider the noise you may make as you move through a building or use common areas.

Impact of noise from outside

Returning to halls after a night out, being directly outside listening to music or playing games in the area immediately outside residential halls can also create disturbance. Please be considerate when returning to halls and keep outdoor activities confined to the playing fields or grassed areas away from residences.

You may be tempted to relax directly outside if the weather is good. If you are going to relax close to residences then please don't make noise that will carry back to the block - such as using Bluetooth speakers to listen to music or calling out to passing friends. Such noise can be very disruptive to someone in halls who may be studying, undertaking online learning, taking online exams or trying to sleep.

Social facilities and residential village halls

The same rules with regards to noise apply to the social areas provided for residences. During the week there will be restrictions on when the facilities can be used for social gatherings to minimise the disruption from noise. Students moving between residences and the social facility are asked to be mindful of the noise impact that groups may have on students nearby who are trying to study, undertake online learning, taking online exams or trying to sleep.

If you are disturbed by noise

If you are being annoyed by noise, speak to the offender politely. If they do not respond positively you should raise the matter with the Residential Community Team who may take disciplinary action for excessive noise or disturbance. Noisy individuals or groups will not be tolerated and students who persistently make noise maybe subject to disciplinary action including fines.

Go to top

Musical instruments

You are not allowed to play a musical instrument in your study bedroom if it can be heard outside your study bedroom door when the door is closed at any time during the day. You may play keyboard and electrical instruments if you are able to use headphones to play them and they are silent in your study bedroom.

If you play a musical instrument, please use the practice rooms available in Warwick Arts Centre and Westwood, as the residences are not a suitable place to play instruments.

Go to top

Parties and gatherings in halls of residence

From the 17th May 2021 you may then wish to hold a party or gathering. Having a party or gathering isn't about the number of people involved but about the impact that groups of people are having on others in the living in residential halls. These events can detrimentally impact on your fellow residents and hall community. In order to minimise disruption, parties and gatherings may only be held at weekends and must end by midnight. There are also restrictions on parties and gatherings in the summer term since exams can be timetabled at weekends and students may be undertaking vital coursework and writing-up.

Written permission for parties or gatherings must be obtained from a member of the Residential Community Team and someone needs to be responsible for visitors and clearing up the space after.

Use of kitchen areas

It may be tempting to:

  • invite others to your kitchen to join in drinks before going on for a night out - either on campus or in the local area
  • invite your friends from your sports club or society back to socialise in your kitchen

You need to remember that the kitchen is primarily a space for preparing, cooking and eating food. Regular gatherings (or gatherings that disturb others) often are inconvenient to other flatmates who may want to use the kitchen to eat but are put off by groups using the space to socialise. The primary purpose of the kitchen space is for the preparation of food.

Visitors or guests in study bedrooms

Gatherings should not take place in student study bedrooms. Students need to limit the visitors to their study bedroom since the noise of people chatting and being together may disturb the others around them - particularly late at night.

Gatherings in the vicinity of residences

Outdoor gatherings in the vicinity of residences are not allowed due to the disturbance these cause to others who live in the halls.

There are some barbecue sites adjacent to residences. These can be used by small groups of up to 20 students. There are guidelines for having a barbecue on campus. If the barbecue is creating a nuisance for others then you will be asked to close down your event and move on.

Large scale gatherings need prior permission. The request to hold such outdoor events can be found on the Community Safety website. The reason for controlling such events is for the health and safety of students, staff and visitors to campus.

Go to top


Smoking or vaping, including electronic cigarettes and vaporizers is not permitted in any University building. In line with the University's commitment to provide a safe and healthy environment for staff and students there is a total ban on smoking/vaping in all student residences. This includes study bedrooms.

You may smoke/vape outside your residence, however, you should be more than 3 metres away from building entrances or windows where smoke may drift in. Some residences have a smoking area outside away from the block. Please be aware that cigarette smoke may be unpleasant for non smokers and if you wish to smoke stay well away from the blocks. You may be asked to smoke further away than the 3 metres limit if the smoke is drifting back through windows and doors and creating a nuisance.

The use of electronic cigarettes is prohibited wherever smoking is prohibited. Cigarette waste should be disposed of properly and considerately in a safe manner.

Students found smoking in or near residences will be fined.

Go to top

Visitors and guests

You may have visitors or guests in residential halls. During the exam and writing-up period there will be some restrictions to ensure that residences provide a suitable environment for academic study.

Guests and visitors include friends, other students, family, etc. Anyone you have invited to come into residential halls:

  • Visitors - are people who drop by to see you and leave before the midnight curfew in halls.
  • Guests - are people who wish to stay with you overnight

You are responsible for the behaviour of your visitors or guests in halls. Having visitors or guests to stay overnight is a privilege - not a right. Should there be an issue which requires disciplinary action then one of the potential sanctions is to suspend your privilege to have visitors and/or guests.


Visitors are friends or family who come during the day or evening to visit but don't stay. The usual visiting hours in residences is nominally 09.00 to 00.00 hours (midnight). This may be different during the exam period.

If you have visitors to your study bedroom and they are disturbing others around you - even during the day - then be prepared, we may ask your visitors to leave.

If your visitor is a member of the University and they are being a nuisance then they too may face disciplinary action.

If you wish to invite more than one friend back to your hall then please be considerate and think about noise. Having several people chatting in a study bedroom can disturb others who are trying to study or sleep.

Overnight guests

You may have an overnight guests to stay for two nights over a weekend, provided the following guidelines are adhered to:

  • Overnight guests must be reported to your local Residential Community Team (see the contact details on the poster in your flat)
  • Students are only allowed one guest at a time. Therefore, no more than two persons should occupy a room overnight
  • Strict two night limit for guest occupancies (Friday and Saturday night only)
  • Should there be a complaint or noise disturbance whilst you have your guest to stay then be prepared for your guest to be asked to leave
  • Lending your room keys/key cards to anyone is strictly prohibited
  • Children may not stay at any time
  • You make your guests aware of emergency evacuation arrangements

Failure to comply with any of these guidelines will result in disciplinary action. You are personally responsible for the conduct of your guests and visitors (members of the University or others) and for any damage or nuisance they cause.

No other person is allowed to occupy your room overnight (whether you are present or absent) without explicit permission from a member of the Residential Community Team (details of how to contact the team will always be available on our webpages or from your residences hub). Domestic assistants are required to report cases of doubtful occupancies and extended absences.


You will not be allowed visitors or guests if someone in your household group is in self-isolation. This is for the health, safety and wellbeing of all.

Go to top


You are responsible for the access to your room and are the named person undertaking the accommodation contract for that room. Subletting is not allowed. This means that you need to take care of your key card and are responsible for any visitors or guests you invite into residential halls.

Go to top

Door locks and keys

No door lock may be changed, modified or added except by authority of the Residential Community Co-ordinator. You are responsible for your key fob / keys and may not hand them over to another individual so that they may use your room.

Go to top

Use of rooms

Rooms may be used only as private living accommodation and for purposes of study. You are not permitted to run any form of a business from your campus accommodation.

Go to top

Restricted areas

Please do not go into linen rooms or the Campus Cleaning Services Team rooms. Gaining access to the service areas, roof voids and roof areas is prohibited and disciplinary action will be taken.

Go to top

Food thefts

Residents should be on their guard against theft from kitchens, particularly fridges and freezers. Thefts of this nature can seriously and permanently damage community relationships. Kitchen security is the responsibility of each kitchen community. It is recommended that you lock your kitchen and mark your food items particularly if they are more expensive or not bought jointly for sharing. In the past, food thieves have been removed from the University residences.

Go to top

Bicycles and scooters


Bicycles must not be taken into the residences. If they are found inside residences they will be removed. Having them inside halls can cause damage to walls, track dirt from outside as well as cause issues for movement in halls if they are left in corridors, stairwells or by fire exits.

You are responsible for securing your bicycle and the University does not accept liability should it be lost or stolen. Please secure bicycles outside using anchor points. D-locks can be obtained from the Community Safety Control Centre.

For help purchasing bikes and equipment or for information about bike maintenance please see the Estates Office website.

We also ask that you walk with your bikes when near to halls. This reduces accidents.


Scooters (not e-scooters) may only be brought to campus and stored in residences if they are placed in a suitable bag to be stored in your study bedroom or nearby trunk room (at your own liability). The bag is required to ensure that the scooter does not cause any mess or damage inside the residences. You are responsible for the cost of repairing any damage.

We ask that you store your scooter away from entrances and corridors for health and safety reasons as residences are areas of multiple occupancy and should the scooter block a fire exit or evacuation route then they will adversely affect many others in the hall.


Privately owned e-scooters are not allowed on campus as they are not road legal and therefore prohibited to be used, stored and/or charged within the confines of the University.

The University has a number of Voi e-scooters which can be hired for use across campus and have been specifically configured for use on campus. Voi e-scooters are permitted on our campus due change in government legislation to enable a UK trial to take place. Voi e-scooters are not allowed to be taken into your hall of residence on campus. Find out more about Voi e-scooters.

As bicycles and scooters increase in popularity it is important that you:

  • are mindful of others when travelling on campus
  • walk with your bicycle / scooter when close to the vicinity of halls in order to minimise the risk of collision with pedestrians or other users of the residential pathways
  • take care when parking or storing your bicycle or scooter and ensure that it doesn't create a hazard for evacuation of an area in the event of an emergency
  • Skateboards, roller blades, etc are not allowed in the vicinity of halls.

Go to top

Shopping trolleys

You are not permitted to bring shopping trolleys on to campus. Shopping trolleys are not allowed in halls or in the vicinity of residential halls. Trolleys can block important access routes and create issues for the health and safety of the campus community.

Go to top

Candles and flames

Do not use candles, oil burners, fireworks, joss sticks, live coals, shishas, hookahs, flammable liquids and gases etc. as they are a potential source of fire, can endanger life and cause damage to your possessions and University property. You may have a candle(s) for decorative purposes however the wick must be clean and the candle(s) not used.

The lighting of fires, use of barbecues in non-designated sites, lighting decorative candles or oil lamps and the setting-off of decorative lanterns which use a naked flame, is not permitted on University grounds.

Go to top

Dangerous and prohibited items

It is a disciplinary offence for any student, without approval from the Residential Community Team, or other authority, to have in their possession or control on campus:

  • An offensive weapon
  • Any item capable of causing injury or adapted to cause injury
  • Store dangerous items

This includes some types of hunting knives, flick knives, CS gas, air weapons, firearms, imitation firearms or anything that has the appearance of being a firearm. Laser pens, or similar items, are also banned from residences.

Where a weapon or an article capable of causing injury or being adapted for that purpose is required to be kept in a student's room within a University owned or managed residence, for the purpose of engaging within a recognised sporting activity, it will be the responsibility of the student concerned to make this known in writing to the Residential Community Co-ordinator of the residence concerned, clarifying how the item(s) will be secured when not in legitimate use and ensuring that written permission is received in return; a copy of such permission being forwarded to the Community Safety Manager.

The University does not permit the use (or storage) of fireworks, similar pyrotechnics or the release of sky lanterns on University grounds or within University residences (unless part of a centrally organised event where appropriate permission has been obtained).

The bringing in and/or storage of nitrous oxide canisters in halls is prohibited on safety grounds. Items which may reasonably deemed as intended to support substance misuse - such as cannabis grinders or similar - are also not allowed to be brought in to and/or stored in residential halls.

Go to top

Social facilities including village halls

Some of the residential halls have dedicated social facilities or a village hall. These facilities are for the use of the students in local residential area. Students from other halls who are creating a nuisance will be asked to leave.

Each facility will have rules for the various areas that may be contained:

  • study areas - students need to be mindful of the need to keep noise to a minimum
  • TV/cinema room - there will be restrictions on the number of people who are able to use the facility and what time the facility will close. These facilities will need prior booking.
  • music practice room - there will be restrictions on the number of people who are able to use the facility and what time the facility will close. These facilities will need prior booking.
  • social space - this facility will need to be booked.

Students using these spaces need to be mindful of the others around them.

Go to top


Do not affix any items such as posters, timetables etc. to walls, doors or ceilings within your residence (other than on notice boards provided).

If you use LED type lights then please ensure that they are not left unattended or left on overnight. Do not stick LED lighting strips directly to the walls and paintwork using the adhesive backing. Any damage to paintwork will be charged to you.

Students are allowed to decorate residences as long as the decorations are not obstructive to the general function of the residences, do not obstruct fire safety equipment and exits and are not readily combustible i.e. paper chains across kitchen ceilings. Do not use spray imitation snow in residences.

Please remove decorations at the end of the celebration or at the end of term.

Go to top

Notices and flags in windows

In order for the residences to retain a pleasant and harmonious appearance for all students, please do not display flags, posters, notices, etc. in, written-on or from the windows of residences. Exceptions can be made during events of significant importance such as student elections and international events such as World Cup Football.

Go to top

Wiring and additional electrical equipment

Electrical appliances may be operated only from the fixed power points provided. Students may not install any additional electrical wiring, computer cabling, television receivers or telephones.

No additional space heating appliance may be used without permission from the local Residential Community Team. Cooking and other domestic appliances such as microwaves, toasters, kettles, beverage makers, rice cookers, deep fat fryers, humidifiers, fridges and freezers may constitute fire hazards and as such are not allowed in study bedrooms without prior approval of the Residential Community Team.

Study bedrooms are designed to be used with a limited range of electrical equipment such as laptops, hairdryers, mobile phone charges, cooling fans, etc. Please take care when using this equipment. Never leave a laptop on a bed where it may overheat or place a hot hairdryer or hair straighteners down onto a surface which may burn. Only use electric cooling fans and electrical hair equipment when you are present in the room and ensure that you turn-off this equipment when you leave your study bedroom.

You may be asked to remove and take home electrical items if they are deemed unsafe or inappropriate for use in a study bedroom.

Go to top

Proof of ID

There may be occasions when you are asked to provide proof of ID. This request is deemed to be reasonable if you are asked to identify yourself by another member of the University such as Community Safety, the Residential Community Team or other staff members going about their day-to-day activities. It helps if you have your University ID card with you at all times.

Failure to comply with such a reasonable request may result in disciplinary action. If you provide false details then this too may result in disciplinary action.

Go to top

Room inspections

Your accommodation contract asks that you keep your accommodation in a clean and tidy condition. The University periodically throughout the academic year, will undertake room checks (having given you notice of when these checks will be taking place). If the condition of your room is unacceptable and there is a need for cleaning - or if there is damage - then the University may charge for the cost of the work to reinstate the room.

Go to top

Animals and pets

Pets or other animals are not allowed in University residences, unless prior permission is sought with regards to animals that assist a person with disabilities.

Go to top

Motorbikes and mopeds

Motorbikes and mopeds may not be parked next to halls or secured to bike racks next to halls. This minimises noise disruption and nuisance to residents.

Go to top


The flying of drones in or around the vicinity of residences is prohibited. This is for the safety and privacy of residents.

Go to top