Skip to main content Skip to navigation

DSA (Postgraduate Social Work Students)

What are Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs)?

DSAs help pay for the extra costs associated with studying that are incurred as a direct result of a disability (for example, mobility impairment, sensory impairment, Autistic Spectrum Disorder, AD(H)D, mental health difficulty, effects of disabling illness, specific learning difficulty). The allowances can help to pay for a non-medical personal helper, items of specialist equipment, assistive software, travel and other course-related costs. The allowance is neither means-tested nor repayable.

Full information regarding the DSA awards for Postgraduate Social Work students can be found on the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) website.

Who is eligible to apply?

You are eligible to apply for a DSA if:

●you are studying a General Social Care Council (GSCC)approved full-time postgraduate social work course;and

●you are eligible for a postgraduate bursary or you have previously received our postgraduate income-assessed bursary.

How do I show that I am eligible?

You will need to provide diagnostic evidence of your disability. If you have more than one medical condition, you should provide evidence for all of them.You cannot use the confirmation of your eligibility for Disability Living Allowance as evidence of your disability.

● If you have a physical disability or mental health disability, you will need an up-to-date letter from your GP or specialist. The letter should detail your disability, the effect the disability has on your daily life and whether the condition is recoverable.

●If you have a specific learning difficulty, you will need a full psychologist ’s report of an assessment that was completed when you were over the age of 16 years.

The GSCC will not pay the costs for providing the diagnostic evidence.

How do I apply?

You need to complete the DSA form on the NHSBSA site.

When do I apply?

You need to apply as soon as you can before your course starts to receive payments promptly. However, you can apply for the DSA at any stage of your course.

When can I apply?

You can apply at any time during your course.

Eligibility for a DSA is not affected by an age limit and, if you are aged 50 or over, you may be eligible even if you are not eligible for a student loan or part-time course grant.