Skip to main content Skip to navigation


Moving out of your accommodation?

Quick guide to move out of your accommodation

Moving out of your accommodation can be both exciting and challenging. Here are some essential tips to help your process of moving out smoother.

Our SU (Student Union) provides comprehensive guidance on moving out, and the SU Advice Centre is here to help if you face problems with landlords.

For international students - look for accommodation after study

Start looking for post-study accommodations well in advance, ideally 2-3 months before your current contract expires.

If you currently live on campus, the SU Housing Guide provides invaluable insights and tips to navigate UK local housing market effectively.

If you have a job offer:

It's much easier to find accommodation when you have a job offer. This is because local estate agents usually ask for proof of income if you are no longer a student.

You will be expected to provide confirmation of contract with income details or salary slips, and references. You will also be expected to pay a deposit. Additionally, you may also be asked to provide a UK guarantor - you can use private companies such as Housing Hand to act as your guarantor (for a fee). You can also pay the whole rent upfront if you do not have a guarantor.

As you are no longer a student, you will be expected to pay Council Tax and so include this in your monthly budget.

Read the Housing guide from Citizen Advice Bureau, be aware that if you hold a Graduate or Skilled Worker Visa, you cannot claim benefits which means you cannot apply for council housing.

If you do not have a job offer

When your Student Visa remains valid, it is possible to explore whether any off-campus Purpose-build Student Accommodation would accept a short term rent to enable you to stay until your visa expiry date. Some recent graduates have reported success to secure short-term housing this way.

Alternatively, or, once you receive your Graduate Route Visa, you can explore short-term housing options such as Airbnb and SpareRoom.

Without proof of income it will be difficult to secure private housing. There are organisations such as Shelter who can help, but make sure you make them aware that you cannot claim benefits due to your visa conditions.