Skip to main content Skip to navigation

EU, EEA and Swiss Nationals

Brexit: What's changed?

From visa requirements and revised university fees to essential considerations such as healthcare and employment opportunities, this page provides you with an overview of what has changed and how it impacts your academic journey in the UK as an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen.

Is it too late to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme?

Although the application deadline of 30 June 2021 has passed, you may still be able to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme.

Read the guidance below to determine whether you are eligible to apply late. You may also wish to seek Independent Immigration Advice from a qualified Immigration Adviser.

Types of Visas that grant the Right to Study at Warwick

You will need to check if you need a UK visa, as you are no longer eligible to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme unless you were living in the UK before 31 December 2020.

Student Funding

Brexit means that citizens of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland are no longer able to apply for a tuition fee or maintenance loan from the UK Student Loans Company.

Tuition Fees

Since 1 August 2021, students coming from the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland are no longer eligible for home fee status.

See guidance below on your tuition fees options:


If you are an EU/Swiss citizen and fall ill during your temporary stay in England, you can use a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) issued by your home country to access healthcare. The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance; it will not cover any private medical healthcare, being flown back home, or lost/stolen property. Therefore, you should ensure you also have valid travel insurance that covers the duration of your visit to the UK.

If you are a Student Visa holder, you will have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS), and if you bring family members with you, they must also pay the IHS individually. This means that you, as a Student Visa holder, have access to the NHS in the same way a UK national would have.

Study Abroad

If you are visiting the UK on a Study Abroad Placement, you must obtain the correct Right to Study, unless you already hold a valid UK Immigration Status that grants this. For placements lasting up to 2 terms, you can obtain the Right to Study via the Standard Visitor Route. If your placement exceeds 2 terms, you must apply for a Student Visa.

Contact Us

If you need more help and advice please contact the Immigration Services Team.

Page Updates

We have revised the information on this page since publication. See the edits we have made and content history.