Section 1: Purpose and Contents of this page:
This page has been created to give guidance for travelling to countries other than the UK
Please ensure you have carefully read the guidance provided for your situation BEFORE you contact Student Immigration.
You may wish to travel outside of the UK whilst you are registered at Warwick.
You can find detailed information about Applying for a Schengen VisaLink opens in a new window.
On the following webpages you can find information on how to apply for different travel visas:
If you hold a valid UK visa, you do not need to obtain another visa if you wish to travel to Northern Ireland because Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom.
If you hold a valid student visa and wish to travel to the Republic of Ireland, you can find more information about Visa for Ireland Link opens in a new windowand Visa requirement for entering IrelandLink opens in a new window. You may also find these links useful:
- VFS Global - Embassy of Ireland in the UK (including if there is a fast service)
- Current visa processing time (Embassy of Ireland in the UK)
Chinese and Indian nationals holding a UK Standard Visitor visa can travel to the Republic of Ireland under the British-Irish Visa SchemeLink opens in a new window. Student visa holders are not eligible under this scheme and will need to apply for a travel visa for the Republic of Ireland before travelling.
When planning any travel you should always consider safety issues and take the precautions.
The Foreign and Commonwealth OfficeLink opens in a new window have a website with travel advice for every country of the world. There is useful advice on safety as well as laws you should be aware of and abide by. As the advice is written for UK nationals, the sections on health insurance may be different for you.
Our website gives practical guidance on what to do if you have your passport and/or BRP stolen or lost.
Applying for a new passport / temporary travel documents from your home Embassy, then applying for a temporary travel vignette to re-enter the UK can be a lengthy and costly process. If your stay outside the UK is extended it may also affect your studies and progress on your course.
We recommend that you consider the following before traveling:
- Ensure you have comprehensive travel insurance which covers your belongings as well as your health care
- Make copies of your passport and BRP card.
- One copy should be left with a friend or family member whom you can easily contact.
- You should take the other copies with you but keep them separate to your actual documents (i.e. in a different bag)
- Note down details like your insurance policy number and important phone numbers such as those of your credit card provider
- Store your passport and BRP card in your hotel safe; you do not need to carry it with you; carry a photocopy of these document instead
- Don’t keep your passport, credit cards and other valuables in the same place
- Avoid carrying large sums of money, instead use travellers cheques which are insured against loss or theft
- Carry your bag across your body rather than on your shoulder
- Put valuables in front pockets not back pockets
- Keep your belongings close to you in restaurants and bars and don't leave bags or back-packs unattended
- Memorise the emergency services phone number of the country you are visiting – this is often 112 but calling 999 will connect you
- Be careful when using mobile phones, tablets etc. in public places
Please click on the following links for more information
University of Warwick: