Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Support for care leavers


The University offers a wide variety of support for care leavers both pastorally, academically and financially.

If you have lived in care, either with foster carers or in a children’s home and you’re applying to the University of Warwick, we hope this information will help you know what additional support you are entitled to, if you wish to take advantage of this.

We have a network of support in place to help you adjust to student life, and to make it as easy as possible to access advice on many different issues.

We don’t just offer support in times of crisis, although we do have services in place to help you in difficult times. Instead, we provide continuous support in a safe, welcoming environment, ensuring that you can make the most of your student experience.

We have a member of staff Emily Cannon who is the care leaver contact at the University. Emily works in the Widening Participation Team and would be more than happy to help with any questions or queries you or your supporters may have.

You can find out more about how the University supports students who are care leavers online here.

Contact Us

Emily Cannon

Widening Participation Lifecycle Officer


Emily Cannon


If you choose to stay in University Managed Accommodation you have the option to apply for accommodation for the whole year, however it may involve you moving to different accommodation at different stages in the year particularly if you choose accommodation with shorter lets.

More information on Accommodation

Financial support

The Warwick Foyer and Care Leavers’ Bursary is available to Foyer residents, Care Leavers and students who have been in continuous full-time education and were in receipt of Income Support and Housing Benefit under the age of 19.
The bursary is paid termly and is designed to help with extra costs that may be incurred, such as accommodation during vacations.
To be eligible you need to be:

  • A home (UK) student Assessed as an independent student by Student Finance England, Student Finance Wales, Student Finance Northern Ireland or the Student Awards Agency Scotland and in receipt of the full student support package
  • Studying a full-time undergraduate course
  • Able to provide evidence to support your circumstances – a letter from social Services confirming you are or have been in care, evidence that you have been in receipt of Income Support and Housing Benefit during your post-16 education or a letter confirming you are or have been a Foyer resident
  • If you’ve been in local authority care you may also be entitled to a bursary from your local authority

Students who are Care Leavers or from a Foyer background can receive personal, academic and financial support from the University. Eligible full-time home undergraduate students can receive the Foyer and Care Leavers Bursary of £1,000 per academic year which is paid in termly instalments.

For further information about financial support, please click here.