Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Independent students who are Care Leavers

Students looking at a laptop

Young people who are Care Leavers

The information on this webpage is for young people who are thinking of applying to Warwick as an Undergraduate student – or have an offer from the university – and are care leavers. A definition of what this means is included below. If you are a care experienced student or are independent because you are estranged from your parents, there is more information about the support available to you on the following webpages:

Contact us

Emily Cannon

Widening Participation Lifecycle Officer


Emily Cannon

Support for Care Leavers at the University

Warwick offers a wide range of pastoral, academic and financial support for students who come to study here. We have a named contact at the University (Emily Cannon) for young people who are independent because they are leaving care so that you have a single point of contact to help you with any questions or queries both before you get here and during your studies. Emily, and the Widening Participation Lifecycle Team, can offer one-to-one support throughout the various stages of applying and studying at Warwick:

  • Application stage – We can support you to navigate through the various stages of applying to Warwick and explain how you can share more information about your independent status.
  • Enrolment stage – We can signpost you to the support on offer across the University, including bespoke support for independent students who are care leavers.
  • During your studies at Warwick – We can support you to thrive in your studies and make the most of your experience at the University.

Applying to Warwick as a Care Leaver in 2024?

Take a look at our handout for Independent Students who are Care Leavers:

And don’t worry, we will only share your information with those who need to know, and who you agree should be informed.

Read about the support available and find links to support networks in the tabs below.

Care leaver: this means that you are care experienced and that you were in the care of your local authority for at least 13 weeks at any time since the age of 14, and were in care on your 16th birthday.

This care may have been provided in many different settings, including:

  • Living with foster carers
  • Living in a residential children's home
  • Being looked after at home under a supervision order
  • Living with relatives under a guardianship agreement

If you are under 19, have left care and have been living independently, we can also offer you additional support.

If you are leaving care to join us at Warwick, we hope this information has been useful for you, but please email us at if you or your supporters have any questions.