- A DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check has replaced what was previously called a CRB check. It is a record of an individual’s convictions, cautions, reprimands and warnings and can also include intelligence held by the UK police that relates to that individual and their suitability for a position working with children and/or vulnerable adults.
- Please note that an Enhanced DBS Check can include information on both spent and unspent convictions.
- Certain minor and old offences will be filtered from DBS certificates, please visit the DBS guidance for further details.
If you already have a DBS disclosure obtained through the University of Warwick please email the Disclosures Team with the date of the disclosure and the 'position applied for' on the certificate, and we will advise you if you can use your existing disclosure unless the below exceptions apply:
- Your DBS check was issued by an external organisation i.e. not a department at the University of Warwick. We cannot accept DBS certificates from external organisations even if the DBS Check has been registered with the Update Service.
- Your DBS check will be over 2 years old when your placement finishes and you have not signed up/ renewed your Update Service subscription.
- Your DBS check was at a different level or with a different workforce to your new role e.g. you previously had a check for working with children, but will now be working with both children and vulnerable adults.
- Your DBS check was for a volunteer position and you now require a check for a non-voluntary position
If you are a non-salaried PGCE or PGDE offer-holder, you will be required to complete an Enhanced DBS Check through the University of Warwick.
Vetting Check Forms
- PGCE: School Direct - Salaried: You will apply for a DBS check through your employing school. Once complete, please ask your host school to complete our vetting check form to confirm that you have obtained DBS clearance. The form should be e-mailed to Disclosures Team from the school e-mail account, or posted to the address at the foot of this page.
- Early Years Initial Teacher Training - Employer Led: You will apply for a DBS check through your employer. Once complete, please ask the school to complete our vetting check form to confirm that you have obtained DBS clearance. The form should be e-mailed to Disclosures Team from the employer e-mail account, or posted to the address at the foot of this page.
- Assessment Only Route to QTS: You will apply for a DBS check through your employing school. Once complete, please ask your host school to complete our vetting check form to confirm that you have obtained DBS clearance. The form should be e-mailed to Disclosures Team from the school e-mail account, or posted to the address at the foot of this page.
In order to support your DBS application you will need to provide at least 3 original items of identification. Please read the checklist for information on what documents we can accept.
- If you have already provided your ID documents (e.g. at your interview), after you apply online for your DBS, we will automatically verify your DBS application using your ID documents. Please allow at least a week for us to complete this verification. If you have not heard from us after a week, please feel free to email us for an update on the status of your application.
The DBS has a confidential checking process for transgender applicants who do not wish to reveal details of their previous identity to the person who asked them to complete an application form for a DBS check.
For further information please contact the DBS by:
- Sending an email to the DBS sensitive applications team (email@example.com)
- Telephoning 0151 676 1452
There is an answerphone service available for this number where you can leave your name and contact number and a member of the sensitive applications team will call you back. You should contact the DBS before submitting your application to us.
Please note: this number is for sensitive application enquiries only, please call the contact centre on 03000 200 190 for all other enquiries.
When the DBS have completed all revelant checks they will post you a disclosure certificate. This will be sent directly from the DBS to whatever address you listed as your current address on your DBS application. Keep this certificate safe as you may be required to produce it when undertaking research or placements on your course. The University of Warwick will not receive a copy of your certificate and the DBS do not issue replacements.
If your certificate has been issued and your have not received it within 14 days, please visit the reprint guide for instructions on requesting a re-print of your certificate.
If content has been disclosed on the certificate please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for further advice.
If you wish to challenge the content of the disclosed information please do so by visiting appeals and disputes for further advice. If you do raise a dispute please tell us be emailing email@example.com.
- If you require a DBS check this will be clearly stated in your offer and we will email you with instructions on how to complete the online DBS application.
- Further information on the DBS process can be found on the DBS Warwick page
If you have been spent time outside of the UK for 6 months or more in the last 5 years, you will need to complete an Overseas Police Check in addition to DBS. This includes international students who are non-UK national.
The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Update Service allows applicants to keep their DBS certificates up to date online and allows employers to check a certificate online.
You can register online when you apply for a DBS certificate, or within 30 days of the issue date on your certificate (you’ll need the certificate reference number).
For further information please visit the DBS website:
MBChB: Students are required to be re-checked after two years on the course. We therefore recommend that MBChB students register with the Update Service, which currently costs £13 per year. Students who have not registered their Warwick DBS Check with the Update Service will be required to pay for a whole new DBS Check before entering the third year of the course.
Please complete the DBS Request Formif you believe that you may require a DBS Check for your research or placement as part of a course at Warwick.