Connecting ideas, policies, people and actions as a gateway to sustainable
We are a community of scholars from across the university, committed to delivering world-leading research on global sustainable development
Our Vision: IGSD as a gateway to sustainable (GTS)
The IGSD was launched in 2019 to be at the forefront of knowledge creation that enables transformation towards a more sustainable, prosperous, healthier and just world for all. In 2022, under the new Director, Professor Elena Korosteleva, the IGSD set to become the gateway to research on global sustainable development at Warwick, working with all faculties and cognisant centres and institutes. To support this, IGSD will grow its own cutting-edge and impactful research, and also contribute to shaping the research pillar of the University’s new Sustainability Strategy, along with its other components - Education, Operations, and Engagement.
To enhance Warwick’s leadership in transdisciplinary research on global sustainable development.
To implement its vision, IGSD will pursue a three-pronged approach:
- It will grow and consolidate its thematic portfolios of cutting-edge research on:
- environmental policy and governance in the Anthropocene;
- resilience as a multi-species community facing planetary challenges, and
- complex eco-systems and climate change, with water security being a central focus.
- It will become the gateway to sustainable by contributing to the Warwick's Way to Sustainable through research and practice.
- It will champion, and be recognised for its leadership in global sustainable development, nationally and globally, working with our strategic partner-HEIs towards developing a Sustainability Excellence Framework, with a transparent and accessible accreditation scheme in the future.
Through our research we tackle the following SDGs
- Launch and contribute to the implementation of Warwick's Sustainability Strategy, and its research pillar
- Visualise and develop research networks on sustainable development across and beyond Warwick
- Launch and grow an ECR Sustainability Training School (ECR STS) at Warwick and its strategic partners
- Launch and grow an Annual Sustainability Conference (ASC) for scholarly exchange on global sustainable development
- Develop large-scale funding bids, leveraging Warwick’s diverse range of sustainable development scholars
- Grow policy impact on sustainable development, locally and internationally.
For more information about Warwick's Global Sustainable Development degree programmes, see the School of Cross-Faculty Studies