- Project working title: Feminicide and digital activism: building a feminist community of practice
- Keywords: feminist activism, data visualisation, cartography, feminicide
- Supervisors: Noortje Marres and Nerea Calvillo
Since 2015, as part of my feminist activism, I have been recording cases of feminicide (gender-related violent deaths of women) in Uruguay, generating a database of cases and visualising the resulting data using Google Maps (Feminicidio Uruguay). This work can be located as part of a series of digital maps and data visualisations of feminicide created by feminist activists that have emerged across Latin America and in other parts of the world in recent years. My PhD project is an extension of and an investigation into this form of activist-research. The aim is to research the forms, methodologies, practices and effects of digital cartographic practices in feminist activism and gender advocacy relating to feminicide; to situate this work in a wider field of digital cartography for advocacy; and to specify what is distinctive about feminist approaches to digital cartography.
I hold an MA in Gender, Media and Culture from Goldsmiths, University of London and have an extensive career in web development and digital communications for human rights. I was co-organiser of the first three editions of Jornadas de Debate Feminista, an annual conference gathering academics and activists in the feminist movement from Uruguay and other countries in Latin America. I have worked with Amnesty International, the Global Call to Action against Poverty and Cotidiano Mujer. Occasionally, I have produced performance works by socially-engaged artists.
You can hear me (in Spanish) commenting the news from a feminist perspective as co-conductor of the weekly podcast #InformativoFeminista de Radio Nunca en Domingo, which is broadcast online and on community radios in more than six countries.
Papers and publications
- SUÁREZ VAL, Helena. Vibrant Maps. INMATERIAL. Diseño, Arte y Sociedad, [S.l.], v. 3, n. 5, Jun. 2018. ISSN 2462-5892. Available at: <http://www.inmaterialdesign.com/index.php/mag/article/view/55/46>. Accessed: 28 Oct. 2018
- See my profile ResearchGate or Academia.edu for other work.
Email: Helena dot Suarez-Val at warwick dot ac dot uk