My current research is focused on the development of magic-angle spinning (MAS) solid-state nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) methodology at ultra-fast spinning frequencies (>60 kHz) to study structure and dynamics in proteins and pharmaceutically relevant solids. I am supervised by both Steven BrownLink opens in a new window and Józef LewandowskiLink opens in a new window, and funded by Bruker and the University of Warwick.
Some of my current projects are listed below;
- Investigating the anisotropy of protein dynamics using relaxation data.
- Implementing techniques to probe the binding interactions and local dynamics in large protein complexes.
- Investigating the dynamics of spin diffusion at ultrafast magic-angle spinning frequencies.
As a member of the Warwick solid-state NMR groupLink opens in a new window I am a frequent user of the 500, 600 and 700 MHz magnets (1H Larmor frequencies). I have also used both the 850 MHz and 1 GHz National Facilities. On these I predominantly make use of Bruker 1.3 mm HXY probes and a custom Samoson 0.81 mm HCN probe, with spinning frequencies up to 67 and 100 kHz respectively.
In my research I make use of CASTEPLink opens in a new window for GIPAW-DFT calculations, AMBERLink opens in a new window for molecular dynamics, AlphaFold and RoseTTAFold for structure prediction, and SIMPSONLink opens in a new window for NMR pulse sequence simulation. Additionally, I develop custom software for dynamics and system modelling using both Python and C.
|PhD in solid-state NMR||2019 - 2023|
|BA in Natural Sciences, University of Cambridge||2016 - 2019|
- Tatman, B. P., Franks, W. T., Brown, S. P., Lewandowski, J. R. Nuclear spin diffusion under fast magic-angle spinning in solid-state NMR. J. Chem. Phys. (2023)
- Tatman, B. P., Modha, H., Brown, S. P. Comparison of methods for 14N-1H recoupling in 14N-1H HMQC MAS NMR. J. Magn. Reson. (2023) doi:10.1016/j.jmr.2023.107459
- Szell, P. M. J, Rehman, Z., Tatman, B. P., Hughes, L. P., Blade, H. & Brown, S. P. Exploring the Potential of Multinuclear Solid-state 1H, 13C, and 35Cl Magnetic Resonance to Characterize Static and Dynamic Disorder in Pharmaceutical hydrochlorides. ChemPhysChem. (2022) doi:10.1002/cphc.202200558.
- Franks, W. T., Tatman, B. P., Trenouth, J. & Lewandowski, J. R. Dipolar Order Parameters in Large Systems with Fast Spinning. Front. Mol. Biosci. (2021) doi:10.3389/fmolb.2021.791026.
- Tatman, B. P., Mock, T., Wu, T. & van Oosterhout, C. Significance of differential allelic expression in phenotypic plasticity and evolutionary potential of microbial eukaryotes. Quant. Biol. 9, 400–410 (2021).
- Reddy, G. N. M. et al. Magic-angle spinning NMR spectroscopy provides insight into the impact of small molecule uptake by G-quartet hydrogels. Mater. Adv. (2020) doi:10.1039/d0ma00475h.