Thanks for Visiting Tosin's Stavros Group Page!!!
The journey so far......
I hold a Bachelor's degree in Industrial Chemistry with first class (Hons) from the Federal University of Technology, Akure Nigeria. Shortly after my study, i joined Kwara State University, Malete Nigeria on a year contract as research assistant, investigating "Heavy metal and organic toxic pollutants in well water samples across Malete, Kwara State, Nigeria". After this, i joined Biomedical Ltd. Nigeria (a pharmaceutical company), as a research and development chemist, where i worked on the "Development of Peritoneal Dialysis and other related intravenous infusion" in the process. Selected for the prestigious commonwealth scholarship in 2018, i joined the University of Warwick for a Master's degree in Analytical Science and Instrumentation which i passed with distinction. Having received the Chancellor's International Scholarship from the University of Warwick, i am now undertaking my PhD research under the guidance of Professor Vasilios Stavros.
PhD Project Brief
Currently in the third year of my PhD, studying photochemistry and photophysics of nature-inspired (plants) UV-filters under the supervision of Professor Vasilios Stavros. The focus of my research is towards the development of new generation, efficient, environmentally friendly, and dermatological safe UVA filters for use in sunscreens formulation. To achieve this, I use femtoseconds (10-15s) pump-probe spectroscopy and other analytical techniques to investigate the interaction of plant UV-filters with UV radiation in industry-standard emollient and on a synthetic skin mimic; tracking their excitation and relaxation mechanism in real-time. This provides a close-to-real sunscreen formulation and application environment information, which is essential for the development of future sunscreens.
Awards and Honors
- 3 Minutes Presentation Winner. RSC Photophysics and Photochemistry Group Early Career Meeting (2020)
- Elevator Speech Winner. BlankInChem Networking Event (2020)
- Chancellor's International Scholarship. University of Warwick (2019)
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarship. Commonwealth Scholarship Commission, University of Warwick (2018)
- Award for Academic Excellence. The Federal University of Technology, Akure (2016)
- Bello L. A,* Omoboye A. J, Abiola T. T, Oyetade J. A, Udorah D. O, Ayeola E. R.Treatment Technologies for Wastewater from Cosmetic Industry - A Review. Int. J. Chem. Biomol. Sci. 2018, 4, 69-80
- Temitope T. Abiola, Abigail L. Whittock, Vasilios G. Stavros. Unravelling the Photoprotective Mechanisms of Nature-Inspired Ultraviolet Filters Using Ultrafast Spectroscopy. Molecules 2020, 25, 3945. doi.org/10.3390/molecules25173945
- Temitope T. Abiola, Natercia d. N. Rodrigues, Casey Ho, Daniel J. L. Coxon, Michael D. Horbury, Josene M. Toldo, Mariana T. do Casal, Benjamin Rioux, Cedric Peyrot, Matthieu M. Mention, Patrick Balaguer, Mario Barbatti,* Florent Allais,* and Vasilios G. Stavros*. New Generation UV‑A Filters: Understanding Their Photodynamics on a Human Skin Mimic. J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2021, 12, 337−344. doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpclett.0c03004
- Temitope T. Abiola, B. Rioux, J.M. Toldo, J. Alarcan, J.M. Woolley, M.A.P. Turner, D.J.L. Coxon, M.T. Do Casal, C. Peyrot, M.M. Mention, W.J. Buma, M.N.R. Ashfold, A. Braeuning, M. Barbatti, V.G. Stavros and F. Allais Towards developing novel and sustainable molecular light-to-heat converters. Chem. Sci., 2021, 12, 15239-15252 DOI: 10.1039/D1SC05077J
- Jack Dalton, Gareth W. Richings, Jack M. Woolley, Temitope T. Abiola, Scott Habershon and Vasilios G. Stavros Experimental and Computational Analysis of Para-Hydroxy Methylcinnamate following Photoexcitation Molecules 2021, 26(24), 7621 DOI: 10.3390/molecules26247621
For further information about my previous research and professional experience see my chemistry department page