Engineering has a pivotal role to play in solving humanitarian challenges, enabling communities to progress towards sustainable development. Because the issues of humanitarianism are not just engineering problems, there is need to introduce new designs of engineering education to embrace and exploit combinational expertise in community-based engineering.
The ENHANCE project introduces modern, innovative pedagogical approaches, identifying and tackling inherent barriers in quality, knowledge organisation, content, and hierarchy, and ensuring advancement of emerging skills.
ENHANCE aims at nurturing humanitarian attributes through engineering education for serving unsupported communities effectively and responsibly, in identifying problems and defining sustainable solutions.
The project aims at nurturing humanitarian attributes through engineering education for serving unsupported communities effectively and responsibly, in identifying problems and defining sustainable solutions for:
- Disaster risk reduction;
- Safer engineering;
- Resilience of critical infrastructure;
- The need to involve local communities and ensure interdisciplinary and inter-professional co-operation when designing and applying engineering solutions to address humanitarian challenges.
The ENHANCE project is a forerunner of supporting and strengthening the higher education field in the Partner Countries by means of: (a) introducing modern, innovative pedagogical approaches; (b) identifying and tackling inherent barriers in quality, knowledge organisation, content, and hierarchy and; (c) ensuring advancement of emerging skills to increase accountability, raise the quality and consistency of engineering services to the society and improve in-country capacity to operate safely.
The ENHANCE project consortium consists of nine partner organisations from five countries:
- University of Warwick, UK
- University of West Attica, Greece
- Gadjah Mada University, Indonesia
- Institut Teknologi Bandung, Indonesia
- Universitas Brawijaya, Indonesia
- Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology
- University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Ho Chi Minh City University of Transport, Vietnam
- Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology, Vietnam