Dr Mark Leeson
Reader in Communication Systems
Mark Leeson graduated with First Class Honours in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from The University of Nottingham in 1986 and was awarded a PhD in Optoelectronics by The University of Cambridge (Sidney Sussex College) in 1990 for a thesis entitled "Franz-Keldysh Effect Planar Optical Modulators". After working as a Network Analyst for NatWest Bank from 1990-92, Mark held academic appointments in London and Manchester before joining The University of Warwick as a Lecturer in March 2000. He became an Associate Professor in October 2006 and was promoted to Reader in October 2011 after holding a Royal Academy of Engineering/Leverhulme Trust Senior Research Fellowship for the academic year 2010/11.
Mark is a Fellow of both the Institute of Physics (Chartered Physicist) and the Higher Education Academy, a Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers and a Member of the Optical Society of America. He was also elected to the EPSRC Peer Review College in January 2003 and has been a member continuously since then (reviewing many proposals and attending several ranking panels). He has published over 300 journal papers, book chapters and conference papers in his fields of interest in addition to involvement with many substantial research projects to date.
Member of the Connected Systems Research Group
- Optical Receiver Design and Optimisation;
- Ad Hoc Wireless Networks;
- Optical Communication Devices and Systems;
- Optical Amplifiers;
- Information Theory;
- Evolutionary Algorithms;
- Network Coding.
- Optical Communications;
- Telecommunication Principles;
- Electronic Principles and Devices;
- Information Theory and Coding.
- X. B. Hu, C. Zhang, G.-P. Zhang; M.-K. Zhang and M. S. Leeson, “Finding all Pareto Optimal Paths by Simulating Ripple Relay Race in Multi-Objective Networks”, Swarm and Evolutionary Computation, vol. 64, art. 100908 [18 pages], 2021. [Link]
W. Hu, Z. Wei, S. Popov M. S. Leeson, M. Zhang and T. Xu, “Non-Coherent Detection for Ultraviolet Communications with Inter-Symbol Interference”, Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 38, no. 17, pp. 4699-4707, 2020. [Link]
X. B. Hu, H.-L. Zhang, M.-K. Zhang, H. Li, Q. Zhang, M. S. Leeson and J. Q. Liao, “Finding the k Shortest Paths by Ripple-Spreading Algorithms”, Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, vol. 87, art. 103229, [21 pages], 2020. [Link]
- Y. Li, M. S. Leeson and X. Li, “Impulse Response Modeling for Underwater Optical Wireless Channels”, Applied Optics, vol. 57, no. 17, pp. 4815-4823, 2018. [Link]
Y. Liao, Y. Han, Q. Yu, Q. Ai, Q. Liu and M. S. Leeson, “Wireless Body Area Network Mobility-aware Task Offloading Scheme, IEEE Access, vol. 6, pp. 61366 - 61376, 2018. [Link]
- Y. Liao, M. S. Leeson, M. D. Higgins and C. Bai, “Analysis of In-to-Out Wireless Body Area Network Systems: Towards QoS-Aware Health Internet of Things Applications”, Electronics, vol. 5, no. 3, article 38 [26 pages], 2016. [Link]
- Y. Lu, M. D. Higgins and M. S. Leeson, “Comparison of Channel Coding Schemes for Molecular Communications Systems”, IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 63, no. 11, pp. 3991-4001, 2015. [Link]
- X.B. Hu, M. Wang, Q. Ye, Z.-G. Han and M.S. Leeson “Multi-Objective New Product Development by Complete Pareto Front and Ripple-Spreading Algorithm”, Neurocomputing, vol. 142, pp. 4 -15, 2014. [Link]
- L. J. Johnson, R. J. Green and M. S. Leeson, “Underwater Optical Wireless Communications: Depth Dependent Variations in Attenuation”, Applied Optics, vol. 52, no. 33, pp. 7867-7873, 2013. [Link]
- M.S. Leeson and M.D. Higgins, “Forward Error Correction for Molecular Communications”, Nano Communication Networks, vol. 3, no.3, pp.161-167, 2012. [Link]
- X.B. Hu, M. Wang, M.S. Leeson, E.L. Hines and E. Di Paolo, “Deterministic Ripple-Spreading Model for Random Complex Networks”, Physical Review E, vol. 83, no. 4, 046123 [14 pages], 2011. [Link]
- M. D. Higgins, R. J. Green and M. S. Leeson, “A Genetic Algorithm Method for Optical Wireless Channel Control”, Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 760-772, 2009. [Link].
- R. J. Green, H. Joshi, M. Higgins and M. S. Leeson, “Recent Developments in Indoor Optical Wireless Systems”, IET Communications, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 3-10, 2008. [Link].
- R. Rejeb, M. S. Leeson and R. J. Green, “Fault and Attack Management in All-Optical Networks”, IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 79-86, 2006. [Link]