Dr Mark Leeson
Part-Time Reader in Communication Systems
Mark Leeson graduated with First Class Honours in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from The University of Nottingham in 1986 and was awarded a PhD in Optoelectronics by The University of Cambridge (Sidney Sussex College) in 1990 for a thesis entitled "Franz-Keldysh Effect Planar Optical Modulators". After working as a Network Analyst for NatWest Bank from 1990-92, Mark held academic appointments in London and Manchester before joining The University of Warwick as a Lecturer in March 2000. He became an Associate Professor in October 2006 and was promoted to Reader in October 2011 after holding a Royal Academy of Engineering/Leverhulme Trust Senior Research Fellowship for the academic year 2010/11. In October 2020, he took flexible retirement and now works part-time.
Mark is a Fellow of both the Institute of Physics (Chartered Physicist) and the Higher Education Academy, a Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers and a Member of Optica. He was also elected to the EPSRC Peer Review College in January 2003 and has been a member continuously since then (reviewing many proposals and attending several ranking panels). He has published over 300 journal papers, book chapters and conference papers in his fields of interest in addition to involvement with many substantial research projects to date.
He is a member of the Connected Systems Research Group
- Optical Receiver Design and Optimisation;
- Underwater Wireless Optical Communications;
- Machine Learning;
- Information Theory;
- Signal Processing.
- Optical Communications;
- Communication Engineering;
- Information Theory and Coding.
Selected Publications (See Google ScholarLink opens in a new window for Full List)
- F. El-Nahal, T. Xu, D. AlQahtani and M. S. Leeson, “A bidirectional WDM-PON Free Space Optical (FSO) system for fronthaul 5G C-RAN Networks”, IEEE Photonics Journal, vol. 15, no. 1, art. 7300208 [8 pages], 2023. [Link]
- J. Ding, Tianhua Xu, Tongyang Xu, W. Hu, M. S. Leeson, J. Zhao and T. Liu, “Intra-channel nonlinearity mitigation in optical fiber transmission systems using perturbation-based neural network”, Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 40, no. 21, pp. 7106-7116, 2022. [Link]
- T. J. Anande and M. S. Leeson, “Generative Adversarial Networks (GANs): A Survey of Network Traffic Generation”, International Journal of Machine Learning and Computing, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 333-343, 2022. [Link]
- D. K. Agustika, I. Mercuriani, C. W. Purnomo, S. Hartono, K. Triyana, D. D. Iliescu and M. S. Leeson, “Fourier transform infrared spectrum pre-processing technique selection for detecting PYLCV-infected chilli plants”, Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, vol. 278, art. 121339, 2022. [Link]
- W. Hu, M. Zhang, Z. Li, S. Popov M. S. Leeson and T. Xu, “High-Dimensional Feature based Non-Coherent Detection for Multi-Intensity Modulated Ultraviolet Communications”, Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 1879-1887, 2022. [Link]
- D. K. Agustika, I. S. Mercuriani, N. A. Ariyati, C. W. Purnomo, K. Triyana, D. D. Iliescu and M. S. Leeson, “Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry Analysis of Compounds Emitted by Pepper Yellow Leaf Curl Virus (PYLCV)-infected Chilli Plants: A Preliminary Study”, Separations, vol. 8, no. 9, art. 136 [14 pages], 2021. [Link]
- B. Shao and M. S. Leeson, “PaFiR: Particle Filter Routing – A Predictive Relaying Scheme for UAV-assisted IoT Communications in Future Innovated Networks”, Internet of Things, vol. 14, art. 100077 [15 pages], 2021. [Link]
- X. B. Hu, C. Zhang, G.-P. Zhang; M.-K. Zhang and M. S. Leeson, “Finding all Pareto Optimal Paths by Simulating Ripple Relay Race in Multi-Objective Networks”, Swarm and Evolutionary Computation, vol. 64, art. 100908 [18 pages], 2021. [Link]
W. Hu, Z. Wei, S. Popov M. S. Leeson, M. Zhang and T. Xu, “Non-Coherent Detection for Ultraviolet Communications with Inter-Symbol Interference”, Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 38, no. 17, pp. 4699-4707, 2020. [Link]
X. B. Hu, H.-L. Zhang, M.-K. Zhang, H. Li, Q. Zhang, M. S. Leeson and J. Q. Liao, “Finding the k Shortest Paths by Ripple-Spreading Algorithms”, Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, vol. 87, art. 103229, [21 pages], 2020. [Link]
- Y. Li, M. S. Leeson and X. Li, “Impulse Response Modeling for Underwater Optical Wireless Channels”, Applied Optics, vol. 57, no. 17, pp. 4815-4823, 2018. [Link]
Y. Liao, Y. Han, Q. Yu, Q. Ai, Q. Liu and M. S. Leeson, “Wireless Body Area Network Mobility-aware Task Offloading Scheme, IEEE Access, vol. 6, pp. 61366 - 61376, 2018. [Link]
- X.B. Hu, M. Wang, Q. Ye, Z.-G. Han and M.S. Leeson “Multi-Objective New Product Development by Complete Pareto Front and Ripple-Spreading Algorithm”, Neurocomputing, vol. 142, pp. 4 -15, 2014. [Link]
- L. J. Johnson, R. J. Green and M. S. Leeson, “Underwater Optical Wireless Communications: Depth Dependent Variations in Attenuation”, Applied Optics, vol. 52, no. 33, pp. 7867-7873, 2013. [Link]
- X.B. Hu, M. Wang, M.S. Leeson, E.L. Hines and E. Di Paolo, “Deterministic Ripple-Spreading Model for Random Complex Networks”, Physical Review E, vol. 83, no. 4, 046123 [14 pages], 2011. [Link]
- M. D. Higgins, R. J. Green and M. S. Leeson, “A Genetic Algorithm Method for Optical Wireless Channel Control”, Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 760-772, 2009. [Link].
- R. J. Green, H. Joshi, M. Higgins and M. S. Leeson, “Recent Developments in Indoor Optical Wireless Systems”, IET Communications, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 3-10, 2008. [Link].
Projects and Grants
Co-Investigator: Deep Intelligent Optical and Radio Communication Networks, European Union (H2020, H2020-MSCA-RISE-2020), 01/08/21-31/07/25.
Member of CSE Steering Committee.