Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

What degrees are available?

Please see the list here.

Return to top

What are the advantages of having an MEng compared to a BEng?

The MEng degree is a year longer than the BEng and gives you the benefit of advanced skills and knowledge, which is always appealing to employers.

Whilst both courses include group work in years one and two, 25% of the final year of the MEng is made up of our multi-disciplinary group projects. This is unique to the four year MEng and not something that you would normally find as part of a one-year stand-alone Masters course. As well as improving your job prospects in an increasingly competitive market, the MEng is also the premier route to achieving Chartered Engineer status. MEng students therefore have a head-start in terms of their career development.

Return to top

What does it mean to be a Chartered Engineer?

A Chartered Engineer is officially registered with the Engineering Council. To achieve this status an engineer has to demonstrate the required professional competences and commitment through education, four years of study for example via a MEng course or four years of study via a three-year BEng course followed by a one-year Masters (MSc) course, and working experience. You must also be a member of a licensed professional engineering institution such as ICE, IET, IMechE and IStructE. Chartered status is an indicator of your level of competence and your on-going commitment to professionalism. Attaining Chartered status has a major impact on your employment prospects and salary.

Return to top

Why do some courses have more than one accreditation?

The number of Institutes or Institutions representing each different type of engineer varies as different bodies have set up over the years. Some degrees cover a range of disciplines and hence can be accredited by more than one body. To be a full member of an Institute or Institution you have to pay an annual subscription charge and so graduate engineers tend to join the Institution that best represents their career interests.

Return to top

Why isn't BEng Engineering Business Management accredited?

The BEng Engineering Business Management is not designed to lead to a career as a Chartered Engineer. The course contains a significant amount of business and is ideal for students who want a business role in an engineering company or a business role in a company that supports engineering companies, such as an accountancy firm. It is not therefore appropriate for it to be accredited by the engineering institutions. All courses at the University of Warwick are supported by rigorous quality checks, including the appointment of external examiners from other Universities who check the course content, assessments and examinations each year. The additional accreditation of courses by a professional organisation, whilst common for engineering undergraduate courses, is not usual for other academic departments.

Return to top

Is it possible to transfer from a BEng to an MEng?

Yes. To allow students to benefit from the advantages of the MEng, transfer is encouraged for those who have met the required academic standards at the end of the second year, typically a 60% average for the second year. Transfer from the BEng to the MEng at the end of second year is common at many UK Universities and the Student Loans Company have a lot of experience of dealing with this change for UK/EU students.

Return to top

Is it possible to change to a different engineering course?

Yes. Currently students have until the end of first year to decide which engineering course to take from year two onwards. It does not matter which engineering course you originally applied for - you can can transfer to any of the BEng degrees. And if you achieve a 60% average in year two, term one, you can transfer to any of the MEng degrees.

We find that although half of our students enrol on a General Engineering degree, the vast majority will choose to follow a specialism after they have experienced all our disciplines in the first year.

You will be supported to discover which Engineering path is for you. However, if you change your mind once you have chosen a specialism there are courses you can switch to providing you have completed certain prerequisite modules.

Return to top

Do you make dual offers for your MEng and BEng courses?

Yes, we make dual offers for applicants who are taking A-levels or the IB and apply for any of our MEng four-year undergraduate engineering courses. If you apply for any of these MEng Engineering courses and receive a conditional offer of a place at the University of Warwick, you will automatically receive a dual offer for the four-year MEng course and the corresponding three-year BEng course (e.g. H102 and H100 General Engineering). This means that on results day, if you do NOT meet the terms of the offer for the MEng course, but DO meet the terms of the offer for the BEng course, you will automatically be accepted onto the BEng course instead. If you do apply to us and would like us to consider you for ONLY the MEng course, it is possible for us to change the terms of any MEng offer. This will mean that if you do not meet the terms of the MEng offer you will automatically be made unsuccessful at Warwick.

We believe in ensuring our students gain the best possible start in their future careers, and therefore give high-achieving students on the BEng course, the option to switch to the corresponding MEng course at a later date. See FAQ above for more details.

Return to top

Are there any optional modules available?

Yes! Student have optional modules from the second year. When we talk to the engineering industry they tell us that they find engineering graduates have great technical knowledge but that they also need a broad view of the world to understand the customers' needs now and in the future. An optional module is a great way to provide this broader outlook. In later years the options tend to relate more closely to the disciplines. MEng students may follow the five-year degrees that include an Intercalated Year (see below).

Return to top

What does an Intercalated Year involve?

Options to take an intercalated year in industry, research or study abroad (typically between the second and third, or third and fourth, years) are reflected in your degree title. Our Placements and Internships Officer will work with you to identify opportunities for year-long and/or summer internships and research opportunities, which often lead to further study and employment for our students.

Students do not need to formally apply for any of these options on entry and the final decision as to whether to take a year placement is made in the preceding academic year.

Return to top

Can I study abroad for a year?

Warwick's international links make it possible for you to gain experience on a global platform through an exchange year at partner universities such as Monash University in Australia, or institutions in the US, Canada, China and across Europe. MEng students may choose to take their third year at a partner university abroad. Alternatively students can choose to take an intercalated study abroad year (which adds a year to your degree duration).

Return to top

Where can I find you in the league tables?

Our engineering courses all have a common start: the first year is the same, no matter which course you apply for. You will therefore only find us in the league tables under ‘General Engineering’. We are consistently in the top ten – testament to the fact that our flexible, multi-disciplinary approach will equip you with the transferable skills needed for your future career. Warwick is also one of the top universities targeted by recruiters looking for exceptional graduates. Occasionally we do appear in specialist league tables, for example for Mechanical Engineering, but unfortunately due to the lack of specific data available for the first two years of the course this can affect our ranking.

Return to top

I cannot find the degree title I am looking for?

Aerospace Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering

If you are interested in these types of engineering take a look at our Mechanical Engineering degrees, which contains a lot of material that you might also find in an aerospace or aeronautical engineering degree.

Electronic and Communications Engineering

If you are interested in Communications Engineering take a look at our Electronic Engineering degrees which contain some communications modules, see:

 Return to top

Can I apply if I don't have both A-level Maths and Physics?

Applicants with a strong profile but without either A-level Maths or A-level Physics may be considered. Please contact prior to applying.

Return to top

Can I apply if I am taking an extra year to retake and improve my qualifications?

Yes. We understand that applicants can face many difficult circumstances during their studies that may have a detrimental impact on their final results. We are very happy to receive applications from motivated students showing a dedication to an engineering career and a determination to improve. Typically there would be no change to our offer levels.

Return to top

How can I tell you about personal difficulties that are not mentioned on my UCAS application?

AWARDS was established to enable you to provide us with information to supplement your UCAS form. At Warwick we make offers to high achieving students who we feel will get the most from our degrees, but we realise that many applicants have faced challenges which have prevented them from doing as well as they could. It is not often easy or appropriate to explain personal circumstances on the UCAS form, but we want to provide an opportunity for you to tell us about them more fully. We can then take this information into account when considering your application. Find out how to complete the AWARDS form on the university website.

Return to top

Is there any funding available?

Yes, we have several Engineering scholarships.

Return to top

Will I definitely get accommodation on campus?

Please see the Warwick Accommodation webpage for details.

Return to top

Are there any temporary employment opportunities?

There are many opportunities on campus for part-time and vacation work, including the Students’ Union, Warwick Arts Centre and helping Engineering on Open Days. The University also has its own temporary employment agency - Unitemps - for students and graduates.  

Return to top