- Project introduction
“The Next Generation of Activated Carbon Adsorbents for CO2 Capture in IGCC Processes” is an EPSRC funded research project（EP/I010955/1） led by the University of Nottingham with three other academic institutes. The tasks of the University of Warwick in this project are:
- To develop a dynamic model of the IGCC process, which consists of several sub-modules such as ASU (air separation unit), GEM (gasification-enabled module), gas turbine, HRSG (heat recovery steam generation unit);
- To conduct simulation study of the dynamic responses of the IGCC system integrated with a pre-combustion carbon capture unit based on the new generation of AC(activated carbon) and evaluate the effect that carbon capture unit brings to the whole process.
Schematic diagram of IGCC process with CCS unit is shown below:
- Project methodology
The project work is organised into the following steps:
- To develop function block models of the whole IGCC process;
- To integrate all the blocks to a whole power plant system without integration of the carbon capture process;
- To integrate the IGCC plant model with the carbon capture process model developed by the University of Birmingham to study the effects of pre-combustion carbon capture process.
ProTrax simulation software is chosen as the simulation study platform, Thermolib is also adopted by PCSR lab for function block simulation model devlopment. Matlab and simulink are also used to support the simulation tasks.
- Project progress
- Function blocks simulation model based on Thermolib, Matlab and Simulink has been finished for initial test of IGCC process and link with carbon capture unit;
- More detailed model based on ProTRAX simulation platform is under construction for further study of IGCC power plants.
- Useful links:
- Official website of DECC (department of energy climate change):https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-energy-climate-change
- Carbon calculator: http://carboncalculator.direct.gov.uk/index.html;
- BP statistical review of world energy: