The ultimate goal of MNR4SCell is to establish long-term research collaboration between Europe and China in the challenging field of micro/nano robotics for the characterisation, diagnosis and targeted therapy of single cancer cells. The synergistic approach established by MNR4SCell will keep the leading position of the consortium in the world for potential major scientific and technological breakthroughs in micro/nano robotics and biomedical applications. The scientific objectives of the project are given as follows:
- To establish a long-term and lasting research collaboration network through the MNR4SCell programme by exchange of researchers for short periods during the project. At least three new research proposals for both the EU and Chinese funding programmes will be prepared, and visits between partners will be arranged during and after the project period. As the research work is fully supported by partners’ existing projects and their own resources, in such a case, a long-term research cooperation platform MNR4SCell will be firmly established, and will be in function even after the project period.
- To exchange ideas and technology concepts for further development of micro/nano robotics for the measurement, diagnosis and targeted therapy of single cancer cells. All the consortium partners have been actively working on international, national and regional research projects in micro/nano mechanisms and robotics, metrology and characterisation, and nano-biomechanics for many years. The advanced knowledge and expertise will significantly contribute to the development of new technologies on MNR4SCell.
- To strengthen research partnerships through staff exchanges and networking activities between European and Chinese organisations. Partners can learn from each other the new science and technology developments of micro/nano robotics assisted manipulation and measurement technologies and benchmark them against their own developments. Each partner will have at least one publication on average each year, giving more than 32 joint publications in total. The consortium targets at least 3 patent applications during the project period.
- To take a synergistic approach to the research areas and explore novel methodologies and applications for potential major scientific and technological breakthroughs by the optimal combination of the different backgrounds and disciplines from the partners.
The main technological objective of the MNR4SCell project is to explore the cutting-edge technologies for micro/nano robotics assisted manipulation and measurement of single cancer cells. The technological objectives are given as follows:
- Establishment of a knowledge based containing the relevant existing technologies and elaboration of user requirements and applications.
- Fundamental exploration of micro/nano robotics for single cancer cells. This will include the development of innovative sensing and actuation, micro/nano measurement and manipulation, and human-robot interaction techniques.
- Development of micro/nano robotics systems. This will include the development of robotic components, cell measurement and characterisation robotic systems and cell manipulation and handling robotic systems.
- Investigation of the measurement, characterisation and manipulation methodologies and technologies for single cancer cells. This will include cell measurement, cell handling, and cell characterisation. The features of single cancer cells treated with different medicines will be analysed for the characterisation, diagnosis, and therapy of cancers.