Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Taught Master's Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How do I apply?

The preferred application route is through our online application form.

You must pay a small application fee or your application will not be processed.

If you require a printed copy of the postgraduate application form please email or telephone +44 (0)24 76 523648.

What is the closing date for application?

The closing date for students who need a visa to study in the UK is 2nd August. There is no formal deadline for home students. We recommend you apply as early as possible so that your application can be processed and you can make arrangements before enrolment begins.

What are the course fees?

Course fees and scholarships

Fees can be paid in instalments.

Scholarships are available for Home/EU students and International students.

How does the part time route work?

Students on the part time route over 2 years will take roughly half their credits in their first year and half in their second year. The dissertation project must be taken in the second year.

Our modules normally run in blocks: each module usually runs for two weeks full time (some modules are longer). So for example a part time student might study full time for two or more weeks, then have two weeks without any teaching.

We advise that if you are interested in part time study you should email us to discuss this in more detail before applying.

Which natural science degrees are accepted?

Biotechnology and Business Management
All natural science degrees including biotechnology, pharmacy, microbiology and genetics.

Environmental Bioscience, Food Security and Sustainable Crop Production
Examples of the degrees accepted are geography, agriculture, agronomy and environmental sciences.

How do I know if my qualification is equivalent to a UK second class degree?

This will depend on your country of origin and the institution in which you studied.

Please contact our Postgraduate Admissions Team for an answer to your specific circumstances.

What standard of English language do I need?

Our courses require the following:

  • Band B
  • 7.0 overall with minimum component scores of two at 6.0/6.5 and the rest at 7.0 or above

If you have less than the required minimum then you might be eligible to attend a pre-sessional English course at the University. Information can be found at

Pre-sessional courses can be very useful even if you have reached the required minimum.

If you are from overseas, but have been educated entirely in English for your degree then the University may not require an English language certificate. However, you will probably still need one to obtain your visa.

Once at the University, we provide dedicated, free English language classes and a personal language mentor for our MSc students. These specifically help International students with their assessed work.

Do I need to provide references?

All applicants are required to provide details of one academic referee.

Your nominated referee will be invited to submit an electronic reference by email (provided you include their contact email address in your application form).

Alternatively references can be sent as paper copy to Postgraduate Admissions:

Postgraduate Admissions Team
University House
University of Warwick
CV4 8UW)

These must be signed original paper copies on headed note paper.

What information do I need to provide after making an application?

After making your application you will need to provide degree and English language proficiency certificates. Comprehensive details are available from the Postgraduate Admissions Team regarding admissions requirements for postgraduate study.

If you are an appropriate applicant you will be sent a conditional offer, which will be converted to an unconditional offer once all requirements are met.

At certain times of the year your offer letter may take a few weeks to reach you due to the very high numbers of applications that the University has to process.

I have not yet completed my degree or English language test. Should I still apply?

Apply as soon as possible to give yourself plenty of time to arrange accommodation and a visa, if necessary.

You will be sent a conditional offer. As soon as you have your result certificates send them to Postgraduate Admissions. Once your certificates are validated your offer will be converted to unconditional.

What help do I get as an international student?

The University has a dedicated International Office to help you with any issues, including securing a visa.

They can be found at

Two international male PGT students working at a laptop

What is the basic MSc structure?

You will take a combination of taught core modules and optional taught modules. Specific details are given on each course page. Depending on your academic background you will find elements of some modules harder, or easier, than others.

You will also need to complete a project dissertation. Projects will be non-laboratory based and generally undertaken at the University of Warwick under the supervision of an approved tutor.

How is the MSc assessed?

Assessments include essays, seminar and poster presentations, multiple choice or short answer tests and assessed group work.

Assessments take place during or shortly after completion of each module.

Find out more about Teaching and Learning on our taught Master's courses.

How much lab work is there?

Biotechnology and Business Management courses are focused on commercialisation of biosciences concepts, and do not involve lab work.

A small amount of lab work is involved in the Environmental Bioscience, Food Security and Sustainable Crop Production courses.

Can I go on a work placement for my project?

Students who are able to source a work placement for themselves are able to use their placement to form their project. This must be by agreement with the project module leader, as the company and placement must be suitable. Previously a small number of placement opportunities with host companies have been offered to students of Environmental Bioscience, Food Security and Sustainable Crop Production courses.

Who teaches the MSc?

Research academics and teaching fellows are chosen for particular expertise in each subject area and bring up-to-the-minute research knowledge to their teaching.

We also utilise selected industrial experts to provide a comprehensive teaching experience.

See our Key Teaching Staff.

How involved will WBS be?
Will I have access to WBS resources?

Our multi-disciplinary team involves experts from industry and University academics.

Although some modules are taught by WBS staff, you will be a 100% School of Life Sciences student, not on a joint degree. You will have access to SLS and University-wide resources but not WBS-specific resources.

How many fellow students will I have?

We have 32 students for the 2021/22 academic year on our Biotechnology, Bioprocessing and Business Management course and 36 students on the related Medical Biotechnology course.

For Environmental Bioscience we have 26 students for 2021/22, with a further 15 students on the Food Security and 5 on the Sustainable Crop Production MSc course.

What nationality will my fellow students be?

You will be joining a thriving community of postgraduate students from all over the world.

Current students come from many countries including UK, China, India, Europe, Nigeria, Malaysia and Hong Kong.

Can I visit the University and/or the School of Life Sciences?

We have information on visiting the University and Life Sciences. You can come to one of our Open Days or we are more than happy to give individual tours.

Alternatively, if you cannot actually visit us then why not visit our Postgraduate Online Events.

Can I undertake part time work while studying for my MSc?

The MSc is intensive and whilst you could undertake a few hours of work each week you will not have time to work sufficient hours to support yourself.

What are my career prospects on completion?

A Master's from Life Sciences will prepare you for a wide range of potential careers.

You will gain a range of skills that lead you to employment within industry, public and government organisations, small to medium businesses and consultancy.

You can go on to further study, a top-level graduate programme or why not use the entrepreneurial skills you will learn to start your own business?

For some specific examples of careers look at our Student Profiles.

The University has an excellent careers service. For more information please go to

Does the University provide accommodation?

The University will provide on campus accommodation for international students who apply by the deadline. Late applicants are not guaranteed campus accommodation but will be given help to find accommodation in the surrounding area.

We strongly advise that students secure accommodation before arriving at the University.

For more information please go to