A number of scholarships are available for research students. Most funding opportunities and scholarship competitions take place between November and February for courses starting the following academic year.
- Funded PhD Studentships in the School of Life Sciences
The School of Life Sciences offers funded PhD studentships through a number of Doctoral Training Programmes. Individually funded PhD studentships are also advertised when they are available.
- Sources of Scholarships and Funding
Up-to-date information on scholarships available across the University and information and advice on how to apply and where to look for funding.
- Chancellor's International Scholarship
This scholarship offers full overseas tution fees and a stipend in line with UK Research council stipends. You are strongly encouraged to identify a supervisor and develop a research proposal before you complete an application form.
- Postgraduate Loans for Masters Courses
Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP) - an international programme under which member governments offer scholarships and fellowships to citizens of other Commonwealth countries. For MSc and PhD.
Ciência sem Fronteiras. Available to students from Brazil (citizens and residents) to study abroad. Funded by the Brazilian government. For support if choosing the UK, visit Science without Borders UK.
NFU Mutual Charitable Trust Centenary Award
In 2012 rural insurer NFU Mutual is once again offering the Centenary Award for UK postgraduate students in agriculture. The award gives annual bursaries to pay up to 75% of course fees for selected post graduate students in agriculture (Masters or PhD).
- Fulbright and Marshall Scholarships for applicants from the United States.
- Career Development Loans - loans available to UK postgraduates through a partnership between the Learning and Skills Council and three high street banks.
- The Perry Foundation - awards and postgraduate scholarships to support research projects that are of definable benefit to UK agriculture.
- DIUS - Scholarships for excellence (China) - a scheme jointly funded by the United Kingdom and the People's Republic of China to enable young and outstanding PhD students and post doctoral researchers in science and technology to study and conduct cutting edge research in each other's country.
- British Council - Education UK - this website can help you find funding for your chosen course through its own scholarship schemes and links to approved websites. Students should also refer to information on their British Council country home page for available scholarship programmes: www.britishcouncil.org
Karim Rida Said Foundation for MSc degrees
Scholarships for Jordanian, Lebanese, Syrian or Palestinian (including Palestinians inside Israel) resident in the Middle East. The KRSF is able to provide full or partial scholarships for masters' degrees at universities around the UK depending on the level of financial need or whether other grants are available to applicants.
King Abdullah Scholarship Program. Available to students from Saudi Arabia to study in any of ten countries, including the UK. Funded by the Saudi government.
British Chevening Scholarships for MSc courses
Funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and administered by the British Council, these prestigious awards enable overseas students to undertake postgraduate study in the United Kingdom.
- UK Council for International Student Affairs
The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) is the UK’s national advisory body serving the interests of international students and those who work with them.
- Postgrad Solutions UK Postgraduate Study Bursaries - Register now for your chance to win 1 of 15 bursaries each to the value of £500. These are open to both international and UK students, and aim to help students fund their chosen postgraduate study options.
FindAPhD - Funding Awards - Register for your chance to win 1 £5,000 award or 1 of 4 £500 awards.
Tuition fees for Science Research Degrees - Plant and Environmental Science, Biological Sciences, Life Sciences and Synthetic Biology are Band 2 disciplines.
Beyond the academic fees that you pay for your programme of study, the other main cost for postgraduate students will be your living expenses.
Help and financial support is available for students with children who are undertaking postgraduate study. See Childcare Provision