Industrial Placements and Work Experience
You can get research and work experience in a number of ways:
- Industrial Placement Year. Our BSc degree courses can be taken with a placement year. This one year placement is taken between second and third years of study and includes a wide range opportunities.
- Integrated Masters (MBio). These four year courses provide an additional year of study focused on a substantial research project, either within the School of Life Sciences or placed in industry.
- Undergraduate Research Support Scheme (URSS). This Warwick scheme offers opportunities for you to gain experience in our research laboratories in the summer vacation at the end of your second year. Bursaries are available to help support you financially.
- Summer Placements. As part of your career development we can help you find a summer placement or work experience in a business or industry.
Recent examples of placements include:
- Health Protection Agency
- The Body Shop
- Neurobiology Research Laboratory, University of Malta
"He seems to have grown immensely in confidence - actually seems like a different student to me."
Comment by Professor Robin Allaby after visiting one of his personal tutees on industrial placement at GSK.
"When I began immersing myself into my MBio research project, I quickly realised that I enjoyed what I was doing and I produced some significant results which have been included in my first published paper! During my MBio project, I started to realise that I might enjoy doing a PhD. I then started looking around for PhDs and managed to get onto the Midlands Integrative Biosciences Training Partnership (MIBTP)."
Anjana Radhakrishnan, MBio Biomedical Science
International Placements / Study Abroad
You have the opportunity to take a placement year at one of our international partner institutions.
It's a great way to experience another culture and broaden your degree by studying additional subjects.
School of Life Sciences partner institutions:
University of Strasbourg (France)
University of Konstanz (Germany)
UAB Barcelona (Spain)
We are actively seeking new exchange partners to match our student's preferred destinations.
In the past few years we’ve had students going to University-wide partner institutions:
- Monash University (Australia)
- McMaster University (Canada)
- Nanyang Technological University (Singapore)
- Seoul National University (South Korea)
- Nagoya University (Japan)
"Despite not being directly related to my Biomedical Science degree, employers target science students for a multitude of roles due to the skills associated with your study. These skills were vital for my success within L’Oréal, having already become adept at understanding and evaluating complex and multifaceted systems and situations. This experience has not only developed my business skills and acumen, but has informed my future career expectations – I am now keen to pursue a career in business strategy. I would recommend prospective students consider the prospect of a placement year as part of their degree."
Jake Wall, BSc Biomedical Science with Industrial Placement at L’Oréal