Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK.
( 2008 - 2012 ) MMath, University of Warwick.
My fourth year project was in computational quantum chemistry, supervised by Dr. Volker Betz.
( 2012 - present ) MASDOC PhD, University of Warwick.
I am currently a 3rd year PhD student.
Area of Interest:
My overall interest is in the applications of analysis to physical problems. Specifically, I am particularly interested in how quantum mechanics can be used to understand the behaviour of materials.
My research is investigating the effect of introducing defects to crystal lattices and understanding the effect that this has on the lattice structure. As a defect would break the periodicity of a perfect crystal, which would displace the nuclei forming the lattice. I am interested in understanding the properties of this displacement and it's effect on the behaviour of the electrons throughout the crystal.
To understand this, I am using the Thomas-Fermi-von Weiszacker theory model from Density Functional Theory to construct a variational problem over a space of admissible displacements after introducing a point defect to an otherwise perfect crystal. My current aim is to determining the properties of the displacement solving the variational problem and understanding how this displacement decays away from the defect.
My supervisors are Dr. Christoph Ortner and Dr. Florian Theil.
- Locality of the Thomas-Fermi-von Weizsäcker Equations, with Prof. Christoph Ortner, submitted (2015). Preprint arXiv:1509.06753
- Convergence Rates from Yukawa to Coulomb Interaction in the Thomas-Fermi-von Weizsäcker Model, submitted (2016). Preprint arXiv:1601.01187
Conferences and Workshops:
- SIAM National Student Chapter Conference, University of Reading, May 2015.
- SIAM Conference of Computational Science and Engineering, Salt Lake City, March 2015.
- Oxford SIAM Student Conference, University of Oxford, February 2015. I also presented this poster.
- Multiscale Models of Crystal Defects, Banff International Research Station, September 2014.
- PIRE Workshop: Atomistic and Multi-Scale Models of Materials, University of Warwick, September 2014.
- Applied Analysis for Materials Summer School, TU Berlin, August 2014.
- Hermes 2014 - Materials Modelling Summer School, Cumberland Lodge, July 2014. I also presented this poster.
- Many-Body Quantum Systems Conference, University of Warwick, March 2014.
- Computational Course-Graining of Many-Body Systems, University of Warwick, December 2013.
- Locality of the TFW equations, SIAM National Student Chapter Conference, University of Reading - 29/05/15.
- Locality of the TFW equations, Warwick Applied PDE Working Seminar - 03/02/15. Slides available here.
- Local Defects in the Thomas-Fermi-von Weizsacker Theory of Crystals, Multiscale Models of Crystal Defects, Banff International Research Station - 23/09/14. Slides available here.
- Local Defects in the Thomas-Fermi-von Weizdacker Theory of Crystals (Short talk), Many-Body Quantum Systems Conference, University of Warwick - 21/03/14. Slides available here.
- Local Defects in the Thomas-Fermi-von Weizsacker Theory of Crystals, Warwick Applied PDE Working Seminar - 12/11/13.
- I attended LonCon 3 at the ExCel Centre in London from 14/08/14 - 15/08/14 and presented this poster.
- 1st year undergraduate supervisor from 2014-2015.
I was the treasurer for the Warwick SIAM Student Chapter for two years, from 2014-2015.
I am also the MASDOC representative for my year at the Mathematics SGSLC.
Otherwise, I am interested in films, music, videogames, swimming and cycling.