Royal Society University Research Fellow
Teaching Responsibilities 2020/21:
Term 1: MA4L4 Mathematical Acoustics
I am interested in all applications of mathematical modelling with industrial relevance. I have particular interests in aeroacoustics, fluid-solid interaction, computational aeroacoustics (CAA), linear stability analysis, perturbation energy, solid mechanics and plasticity.
Current research includes mathematical modeling of various metal forming processes, the effectiveness of acoustic linings in aircraft engine intakes, and optimizing finite difference stencils for wave propagation.
Undergraduate Internships/Summer Projects: I have several research projects suitable for a matematics or engineering undergraduate to attempt over a summer vacation, or as a 3rd or 4th year project. I have a small amount of funding to help towards accommodation and subsistence. The projects are all active research, and a good attempt could well lead to a journal publication. For further details, please see here or contact me.
PhDs: I am currently looking to take on one or two PhD students. Applicants should have a mathematics background, or an engineering background with a strong mathematical component. Familiarity with asymptotics is essential. While the emphasis is on mathematics, some familiarity with computing (either C, Fortran or Matlab) and numerical analysis would be advantageous. For further details, please contact me. Note that PhD placements are subject to acquiring suitable funding.
For an up-to-date list of all publications, see my personal homepage.
- Khamis & Brambley (2017) "Viscous effects on the attenuation of a plane wave by an acoustic lining in shear flow". J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 141(4), 2408–2417.
- Khamis & Brambley (2017) "Acoustics in a two-deck viscothermal boundary layer over an impedance surface". AIAA J.
- Khamis & Brambley (2017) "Viscous effects on the acoustics and stability of a shear layer over an impedance wall" J. Fluid Mech. 810 489–534.
- Brambley (2016) "Optimized finite-difference (DRP) schemes perform poorly for decaying or growing oscillations" J. Comput. Phys. 324 258–274.
- Brambley & Gabard (2016) "Time-domain implementation of an impedance boundary condition with boundary layer correction" J. Comput. Phys. 321 755–775.
- Minton, Cawthorn & Brambley (2016) "An asymptotic approach to asymmetric rolling" Int. J. Mech. Sci. 113 36–48.
- Cawthorn, Minton & Brambley (2016) "Asymptotic analysis of cold sandwich rolling" Int. J. Mech. Sci. 106 184–193.
- Brambley, Darau & Rienstra (2012) "The critical layer in linear-shear boundary layers over acoustic linings" J. Fluid Mech. 710 545–568.
- Brambley, Davis & Peake (2012) "Eigenmodes of lined flow ducts with rigid splices" J. Fluid Mech. 690 399–425.
- Brambley (2011) "A well-posed boundary condition for acoustic liners in straight ducts with flow" AIAA J. 49(6) 1272–1282.
- Brambley, (2009) "Fundamental problems with the model of uniform flow over acoustic linings" J. Sound Vib. 322 1026–1037.
- Brambley & Peake (2008) "Stability and acoustic scattering in a cylindrical thin shell containing compressible mean flow" J. Fluid Mech. 602 403–426.
- Brambley & Peake, (2008) "Sound transmission in strongly curved slowly varying cylindrical ducts with flow" J. Fluid Mech. 596 387–412.