Warwick Zeeman Lecturer
Leverhulme Early Career Fellow
Teaching Responsibilities 2019/20:
- Applied mathematics, in particular socio-economical, life sciences or fluid dynamics applications
- Inverse problems (parameter estimation and optimization)
- Stabilisation and (optimal) control of PDEs
My current projects include (Bayesian) inverse problems in the context of pedestrian dynamics (see a Warwick press release from when I participated in the STEM for Britain competition) and the use of feedback controls to stabilise and control the solutions to various thin film flow models.
Most relevant recent publications:
For a full list of publications see my publications page
- R.J. Tomlin, S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, D.T. Papageorgiou, Optimal control of thin liquid films and transverse mode effects, SIAM Journal of Applied Dynamical Systems, 18(1), 117–149, 2019.
- S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, Mean field limits for interacting diffusions in a two-scale potential, Journal of Nonlinear Science 28(3) 905-941, 2018.
- S.N. Gomes, S. Kalliadasis, D.T. Papageorgiou, G.A. Pavliotis, M. Pradas, Controlling roughening processes in the stochastic Kuramoto-Sivashinsky equation, Physica D-nonlinear Phenomena, 348, 33-43, 2017.
A.B. Thompson, S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, D.T. Papageorgiou, Stabilising falling liquid film flows using feedback control, Physics of Fluids, 28, 012107, 2016.
- S.N. Gomes, M. Pradas, S. Kalliadasis, D.T. Papageorgiou, G.A. Pavliotis, Controlling spatiotemporal chaos in active dissipative-dispersive nonlinear systems, Physical Review E 92, 022912, 2015.
Recent research grants:
Leverhulme Early Career Fellowship, 2018-2021.
Recent and upcoming workshops/conferences/seminars:
- Speaker at the MAC-MIGS afternoon on "Randomness and Data", June 26, 2020.
- Seminar at the Open University School of Mathematics and Statistics, March 17, 2020. Postponed date TBC
- Invited speaker at a conference on 'Interacting Particle Systems, Non-local evolution equations and applications', Oxford, June 1-4, 2020. Postponed to a later date
- Speaker at a mini-symposium in 'Optimal actuator/sensor design for PDEs' at the 24th International Symposium on Mathematical Theory of Networks and Systems (MTNS 2020), Cambridge, UK, Postponed to August 23-27, 2021.
- Speaker at a mini-symposium in 'Inverse problems and optimal control for mean-field models in socio-economics' at the IFIP TC7 conference on Systems modeling and optimization, Quito, Ecuador, postponed to Sept 2021.
- Speaker at Workshop 'WS3 PDE-constrained Bayesian inverse UQ' on the ESI Thematic Period on UNCERTAINTY QUANTIFICATION, May 11-15, 2020, Erwin Schroedinger Institute, Vienna, Austria, postponed to 2022