Warwick Zeeman Lecturer
Leverhulme Early Career Fellow
Teaching Responsibilities 2019/20:
- Applied mathematics, in particular socio-economical, life sciences or fluid dynamics applications
- Inverse problems (parameter estimation and optimization)
- Stabilisation and (optimal) control of PDEs
My current projects include (Bayesian) inverse problems in the context of pedestrian dynamics (see a Warwick press release from when I participated in the STEM for Britain competition) and the use of feedback controls to stabilise and control the solutions to various thin film flow models.
Most relevant recent publications:
- R.J. Tomlin, S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, D.T. Papageorgiou, Optimal control of thin liquid films and transverse mode effects, SIAM Journal of Applied Dynamical Systems, 18(1), 117–149, 2019.
- S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, Mean field limits for interacting diffusions in a two-scale potential, Journal of Nonlinear Science 28(3) 905-941, 2018.
- S.N. Gomes, S. Kalliadasis, D.T. Papageorgiou, G.A. Pavliotis, M. Pradas, Controlling roughening processes in the stochastic Kuramoto-Sivashinsky equation, Physica D-nonlinear Phenomena, 348, 33-43, 2017.
A.B. Thompson, S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, D.T. Papageorgiou, Stabilising falling liquid film flows using feedback control, Physics of Fluids, 28, 012107, 2016.
- S.N. Gomes, M. Pradas, S. Kalliadasis, D.T. Papageorgiou, G.A. Pavliotis, Controlling spatiotemporal chaos in active dissipative-dispersive nonlinear systems, Physical Review E 92, 022912, 2015.
Recent research grants: Leverhulme Early Career Fellowship, 2018-2021.
Recent and upcoming workshops/conferences/seminars:
- Speaker at 'Workshop 5: Feedback Control' on the RICAM Special Semester in Optimization, November 28-30, 2019, RICAM, Linz, Austria.
- Speaker at Mini-symposium 'Mean Field Limits of Interacting Particle Systems' in the SIAM Conference on Analysis of Partial Differential Equations, December 11-14, 2019, La Quinta, CA, USA.
- Industrial and Applied Mathematics Seminar, Oxford, January 30, 2020.
- Seminar at the Open University School of Mathematics and Statistics, March 17, 2020.
- Speaker at Workshop 'WS3 PDE-constrained Bayesian inverse UQ' on the ESI Thematic Period on UNCERTAINTY QUANTIFICATION, May 11-15, 2020, Erwin Schroedinger Institute, Vienna, Austria.