Warwick Zeeman Lecturer
Leverhulme Early Career Fellow
Teaching Responsibilities 2018/19:
Term 1: MA912 Analysis for Linear PDEs
- Applied mathematics, in particular socio-economical, life sciences or fluid dynamics applications
- Inverse problems (parameter estimation and optimization)
- Stabilisation and (optimal) control of PDEs
My current projects include inverse problems in the context of pedestrian dynamics, the use of feedback controls to stabilise and control the solutions to various thin film flow models, and analysis of systems of interacting diffusions in the mean-field limit.
Most relevant recent publications:
- S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, Mean field limits for interacting diffusions in a two-scale potential, Journal of Nonlinear Science 28(3) 905-941, 2018.
- S.N. Gomes, S. Kalliadasis, D.T. Papageorgiou, G.A. Pavliotis, M. Pradas, Controlling roughening processes in the stochastic Kuramoto-Sivashinsky equation, Physica D-nonlinear Phenomena, 348, 33-43, 2017.
S.N. Gomes, D.T. Papageorgiou, G.A. Pavliotis, Stabilizing non-trivial solutions of the generalized Kuramoto-Sivashinsky equation using feedback and optimal control, IMA Journal of Applied Mathematics, 82(1), 158-194, 2017.
S.N. Gomes, S.J. Tate, On the numerical solution of a T-Sylvester type matrix equation arising in the control of stochastic partial differential equations, IMA Journal of Applied Mathematics, 82(6), 1192-1208, 2017.
A.B. Thompson, S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, D.T. Papageorgiou, Stabilising falling liquid film flows using feedback control, Physics of Fluids, 28, 012107, 2016.
- S.N. Gomes, M. Pradas, S. Kalliadasis, D.T. Papageorgiou, G.A. Pavliotis, Controlling spatiotemporal chaos in active dissipative-dispersive nonlinear systems,
Physical Review E 92, 022912, 2015
Recent research grants: Leverhulme Early Career Fellowship, 2018-2021.
- Co-organizer of a Mir@W day on 'Modelling and calibration of pedestrian dynamics', University of Warwick, 25/02/2019
- Algorithms & Computationally Intensive Inference seminars, University of Warwick, 01/03/2019
- Mentor in the UK Graduate Modelling Camp, University of Oxford, 02-05/04/2019
- Speaker at a mini-symposium on 'Inverse Problems: Theory and Applications', British Applied Mathematics Colloquium, April 24-26, 2019, Bath, UK.
- Applied Mathematics Seminars, University of Birmingham, 02/05/2019