Warwick Zeeman Lecturer
Leverhulme Early Career Fellow
Teaching Responsibilities 2020/21:
My research interests are in applied analysis, with a focus on modelling and control of problems described by partial differential equations (PDEs) and with relevance to applications in the physical, life, and social sciences. The problems I work on usually involve an interplay between modelling, applied analysis and numerical simulations of PDEs and (systems of) ODEs or SDEs, often in multi-scale scenarios. Current projects include
- Control of interfacial flows using hierarchies of models
- Modelling and control for pedestrian dynamics (See a Warwick press release from when I participated in the STEM for Britain competition.)
- Optimal control for epidemiological models
I combine techniques such as control, stabilisation, and optimisation (including Bayesian inverse problems) in the context of each of the projects above. For more information on my research, visit my research page.
Most relevant recent publications:
For a full list of publications see my publications page
- R.J. Tomlin, S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, D.T. Papageorgiou, Optimal control of thin liquid films and transverse mode effects, SIAM Journal of Applied Dynamical Systems, 18(1), 117–149, 2019.
- S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, Mean field limits for interacting diffusions in a two-scale potential, Journal of Nonlinear Science 28(3) 905-941, 2018.
- S.N. Gomes, S. Kalliadasis, D.T. Papageorgiou, G.A. Pavliotis, M. Pradas, Controlling roughening processes in the stochastic Kuramoto-Sivashinsky equation, Physica D-nonlinear Phenomena, 348, 33-43, 2017.
A.B. Thompson, S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, D.T. Papageorgiou, Stabilising falling liquid film flows using feedback control, Physics of Fluids, 28, 012107, 2016.
- S.N. Gomes, M. Pradas, S. Kalliadasis, D.T. Papageorgiou, G.A. Pavliotis, Controlling spatiotemporal chaos in active dissipative-dispersive nonlinear systems, Physical Review E 92, 022912, 2015.
Recent research grants:
Leverhulme Early Career Fellowship, 2018-2021.
Recent and upcoming workshops/conferences/seminars:
- Speaker at the MAC-MIGS afternoon on "Randomness and Data", June 26, 2020.
- WCPM Seminar, Warwick, October 5, 2020
- Applied Mathematics Seminar, The Open University School of Mathematics and Statistics, October 20, 2020.
- Co-organiser of the ICMS workshop on 'Connections between interacting particle dynamics and data science', with M. Ottobre and M.-T. Wolfram, Isle of Skye, Scotland, May 2021.
- Invited speaker at a conference on 'Interacting Particle Systems, Non-local evolution equations and applications', Oxford, June 1-4, 2020. Postponed to a later date
- Speaker at a mini-symposium in 'Optimal actuator/sensor design for PDEs' at the 24th International Symposium on Mathematical Theory of Networks and Systems (MTNS 2020), Cambridge, UK, Postponed to August 23-27, 2021.
- Speaker at a mini-symposium in 'Inverse problems and optimal control for mean-field models in socio-economics' at the IFIP TC7 conference on Systems modeling and optimization, Quito, Ecuador, postponed to Sept 2021.
- Speaker at Workshop 'WS3 PDE-constrained Bayesian inverse UQ' on the ESI Thematic Period on UNCERTAINTY QUANTIFICATION, May 11-15, 2020, Erwin Schroedinger Institute, Vienna, Austria, postponed to 2022