Warwick Zeeman Lecturer
Leverhulme Early Career Fellow
Teaching Responsibilities 2018/19:
Term 1: MA912 Analysis for Linear PDEs
- Applied mathematics, in particular socio-economical, life sciences or fluid dynamics applications
- Inverse problems (parameter estimation and optimization)
- Stabilisation and (optimal) control of PDEs
My current projects include inverse problems in the context of pedestrian dynamics, the use of feedback controls to stabilise and control the solutions to various thin film flow models, and analysis of systems of interacting diffusions in the mean-field limit.
Most relevant recent publications:
- R.J. Tomlin, S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, D.T. Papageorgiou, Optimal control of thin liquid films and transverse mode effects, SIAM Journal of Applied Dynamical Systems, 18(1), 117–149, 2019.
- S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, Mean field limits for interacting diffusions in a two-scale potential, Journal of Nonlinear Science 28(3) 905-941, 2018.
- S.N. Gomes, S. Kalliadasis, D.T. Papageorgiou, G.A. Pavliotis, M. Pradas, Controlling roughening processes in the stochastic Kuramoto-Sivashinsky equation, Physica D-nonlinear Phenomena, 348, 33-43, 2017.
A.B. Thompson, S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, D.T. Papageorgiou, Stabilising falling liquid film flows using feedback control, Physics of Fluids, 28, 012107, 2016.
- S.N. Gomes, M. Pradas, S. Kalliadasis, D.T. Papageorgiou, G.A. Pavliotis, Controlling spatiotemporal chaos in active dissipative-dispersive nonlinear systems, Physical Review E 92, 022912, 2015.
Recent research grants: Leverhulme Early Career Fellowship, 2018-2021.
- Speaker at a mini-symposium on 'Inverse Problems: Theory and Applications', British Applied Mathematics Colloquium, April 24-26, 2019, Bath, UK.
- Applied Mathematics Seminars, University of Birmingham, 02/05/2019.
- Speaker at a CIRM workshop on 'Crowds: models and control', June 3-7, 2019, CIRM, Marseille, France.
- Speaker at a mini-symposium on 'Computational methods for model-driven optimization and control under uncertainty', the 28th Biennial Numerical Analysis Conference, June 25-28, 2019, Glasgow, UK.
- Co-organizer (and speaker) of two ICIAM mini-symposia: 'Modeling and calibration in pedestrian dynamics' and 'In control of interfacial flows', ICIAM, July 15-19, 2019, Valencia, Spain.
- Speaker at 'Workshop 5: Feedback Control' on the RICAM Special Semester in Optimization, November 28-30, 2019, RICAM, Linz, Austria.
- Speaker at Workshop 'WS3 PDE-constrained Bayesian inverse UQ' on the ESI Thematic Period on UNCERTAINTY QUANTIFICATION, May 11-15, 2020, Erwin Schroedinger Institute, Vienna, Austria.