Warwick Zeeman Lecturer
Leverhulme Early Career Fellow
Teaching Responsibilities 2020/21:
I organise Warwick's Applied Mathematics Seminar. Let me know if you have any suggestions for speakers!
My research interests are in applied analysis, with a focus on modelling and control of problems described by partial differential equations (PDEs) and with relevance to applications in the physical, life, and social sciences. The problems I work on usually involve an interplay between modelling, applied analysis and numerical simulations of PDEs and (systems of) ODEs or SDEs, often in multi-scale scenarios. Current projects include
- Control of interfacial flows using hierarchies of models
- Modelling and control for pedestrian dynamics (See a Warwick press release from when I participated in the STEM for Britain competition.)
- Optimal control for epidemiological models
I combine techniques such as control, stabilisation, and optimisation (including Bayesian inverse problems) in the context of each of the projects above. For more information on my research, visit my research page.
Recent research grants:
- EPSRC Small Grant EP/V051385/1: A new hierarchical modelling framework for active control: making waves in interfacial flow-based technologies. Co-I, with Dr. Radu Cimpeanu as PI. 02/2021 - 01/2022.
- UKRI-EPSRC COVID-19 Call EP/V025899/1: COVID-19: Optimal Lockdown, Co-I, with Dr Ritabrata Dutta as PI and Dr. Dante Kalise as Co-I. 07/2020 - 01/2022.
- Leverhulme Early Career Fellowship ECF-2018-536: Parameter estimation in macroscopic models for pedestrian dynamics. 09/2018-09/2021.
Most relevant recent publications:
For a full list of publications see my publications page
- R.J. Tomlin, S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, D.T. Papageorgiou, Optimal control of thin liquid films and transverse mode effects, SIAM Journal of Applied Dynamical Systems, 18(1), 117–149, 2019.
- S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, Mean field limits for interacting diffusions in a two-scale potential, Journal of Nonlinear Science 28(3) 905-941, 2018.
- S.N. Gomes, S. Kalliadasis, D.T. Papageorgiou, G.A. Pavliotis, M. Pradas, Controlling roughening processes in the stochastic Kuramoto-Sivashinsky equation, Physica D-nonlinear Phenomena, 348, 33-43, 2017.
A.B. Thompson, S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, D.T. Papageorgiou, Stabilising falling liquid film flows using feedback control, Physics of Fluids, 28, 012107, 2016.
- S.N. Gomes, M. Pradas, S. Kalliadasis, D.T. Papageorgiou, G.A. Pavliotis, Controlling spatiotemporal chaos in active dissipative-dispersive nonlinear systems, Physical Review E 92, 022912, 2015.
Recent and upcoming workshops/conferences/seminars:
- Speaker at the meeting 'Mulheres matemáticas: uma tarde de encontro', Lisbon, Portugal, January 27, 2021.
- Centre for Nonlinear Analysis Seminar, Department of Mathematical Sciences, Carnegie Mellon University, USA, April 20, 2021.
- Invited speaker at the conference 'Interacting Particle Systems, Non-local evolution equations and applications', Oxford, June 1-4, 2020. Postponed to a later date
- Speaker at a mini-symposium in 'Optimal actuator/sensor design for PDEs' at the 24th International Symposium on Mathematical Theory of Networks and Systems (MTNS 2020), Cambridge, UK, Postponed to August 23-27, 2021.
- Speaker at a mini-symposium in 'Inverse problems and optimal control for mean-field models in socio-economics' at the IFIP TC7 conference on Systems modeling and optimization, Quito, Ecuador, postponed to Sept 2021.
- Co-organiser of the ICMS workshop on 'Connections between interacting particle dynamics and data science', with M. Ottobre and M.-T. Wolfram, Isle of Skye, Scotland, Postponed to May 2022.
- Speaker at Workshop 'WS3 PDE-constrained Bayesian inverse UQ' on the ESI Thematic Period on UNCERTAINTY QUANTIFICATION, May 11-15, 2020, Erwin Schroedinger Institute, Vienna, Austria, postponed to 2022.