Warwick Zeeman Lecturer
Leverhulme Early Career Fellow
Teaching Responsibilities 2018/19:
Term 1: MA912 Analysis for Linear PDEs
- Applied mathematics, in particular socio-economical, life sciences or fluid dynamics applications
- Inverse problems (parameter estimation and optimization)
- Stabilisation and (optimal) control of PDEs
My current projects include inverse problems in the context of pedestrian dynamics, the use of feedback controls to stabilise and control the solutions to various thin film flow models, and analysis of systems of interacting diffusions in the mean-field limit.
Most relevant recent publications:
- R.J. Tomlin, S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, D.T. Papageorgiou, Optimal control of thin liquid films and transverse mode effects, SIAM Journal of Applied Dynamical Systems, 18(1), 117–149, 2019.
- S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, Mean field limits for interacting diffusions in a two-scale potential, Journal of Nonlinear Science 28(3) 905-941, 2018.
- S.N. Gomes, S. Kalliadasis, D.T. Papageorgiou, G.A. Pavliotis, M. Pradas, Controlling roughening processes in the stochastic Kuramoto-Sivashinsky equation, Physica D-nonlinear Phenomena, 348, 33-43, 2017.
A.B. Thompson, S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, D.T. Papageorgiou, Stabilising falling liquid film flows using feedback control, Physics of Fluids, 28, 012107, 2016.
- S.N. Gomes, M. Pradas, S. Kalliadasis, D.T. Papageorgiou, G.A. Pavliotis, Controlling spatiotemporal chaos in active dissipative-dispersive nonlinear systems, Physical Review E 92, 022912, 2015.
Recent research grants: Leverhulme Early Career Fellowship, 2018-2021.
- Algorithms & Computationally Intensive Inference seminars, University of Warwick, 01/03/2019
- STEM for Britain 2019, London, 13/03/2019
- Mentor in the UK Graduate Modelling Camp, University of Oxford, April 02-05, 2019
- Speaker at a mini-symposium on 'Inverse Problems: Theory and Applications', British Applied Mathematics Colloquium, April 24-26, 2019, Bath, UK.
- Applied Mathematics Seminars, University of Birmingham, 02/05/2019
- Co-organizer (and speaker) of two ICIAM mini-symposia: 'Modeling and calibration in pedestrian dynamics' and 'In control of interfacial flows', ICIAM, July 15-19, 2019, Valencia, Spain.