Lectures: Thu 11-1 and Fri 11-1 in D1.07
Classes: Thu 3-5 and Fri 2-4 in D1.07
- list of exam topics
- Written class test (about 1.5 hours) on Thu 02.11. at 3pm in B0.06, counts 25/100.
No books allowed, please only come with writing material and have your student ID number ready to put on the exam booklet.
Previous class tests from 2014 (pdf), 2015 (pdf) and 2016 (pdf).
This year's class test (pdf) with sketch of solution (pdf)
- Viva/oral examination on Fri 03.11. in B1.12, 20 minutes per student, counts 50/100 (timetable).
- homework counts 25/100 marks
- course notes (final version): notes_ma933_17.pdf
print version handed out in lectures: printout_17.pdf
- the first part of notes for the former module CO905 Stochastic models of complex systems provide a slightly more complete introduction to Markov chains and might be useful for background reading
sheet 1: due Friday 13.10., 2pm, counts 40% of homework marks
Random walk, geometric random walk, Wright-Fisher model
Q1.1 (c): the graph considered should be a connected tree, NOT a full connected graph (corrected in online version)
- sheet 2 (part 1) and (part 2): due Friday 27.10., 2pm, counts 60% of homework marks
Kingman's coalescent, geometric Brownian motion, Wright Fisher diffusion, random graphs
Q2.2( d): use \mu =-1/2 (corrected in online version)
sketch of solution (pdf)
- hand-out 1: linear algebra (added some justifications on second page for those interested)
- hand-out 2: Characteristic functions, Gaussian, LLN, CLT
- hand-out 3: Poisson processes
For class material see the page of Peter Byfield.
Additional stuff (outdated, for now...)
- Matlab tools for network analysis from MIT
- export_fig: package to properly export figures in Matlab
- Wikibooks on Matlab and C_Programming
- review papers on complex networks:
Complex networks: Structure and dynamics (Boccaletti, S.; Latora, V.; Moreno, Y.; Chavez, M.; Hwang, D.-U.; Physics Reports 424 (4-5), 175-308, 2006)
The Structure and Function of Complex Networks (M.E.J. Newman; SIAM Review 45(2), 167–256, 2003)