Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Teaching and Learning notice board

Teaching and Learning notice board Another way of using technology in assessment

You need to be logged in to post in this topic.
  1. Hello, You may be interested to see this article in The Independent yesterday Time to wave goodbye to old-fashioned lecture notes What methods of providing student feedback have you found to be effective? Claire

2. Re: Another way of using technology in assessment
    Thanks for an interesting link Claire. This is clearly a powerful feedback technique as you can get across more information via these video clips than if you wrote feedback on a student’s paper. And it looks particularly useful for giving feedback to groups. Some of our module leaders (MBChB) give a live ‘lecture’ with the cohort in the lecture theatre to run through common mistakes in an exam paper. This seems to work well, thought it’s live and not recorded. Pity that it doesn’t look practical to help me give feedback on the 4,000 word PGA assignments I have to mark. Not least ‘cos they’re on paper :) David. PS I’m note sure why the Independent thinks this will do away with lecture notes, old fashioned or otherwise :)

3. Re: Another way of using technology in assessment
    Hi David, Yes I thought it an odd headline too. I can imagine that a live ‘lecture’ to run through common exam mistakes would be well attended. Equally I’d anticipate loads of hits if such sessions were recorded for students to refer to later. This idea seems to lend itself to a series of such recordings. Anyone think that would work for their modules? Claire

4. Re: Another way of using technology in assessment
    Hi Claire We have recently recorded a couple of Endnote Web presentations delivered by Sam Johnson (BioMed Librarian) in the IT training room. We now have raw audio & video material and plan to work with Jan Cooper to produce multimedia resource that will be available at http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/med/study/cpd/current/studyskills/ Cheers Cath

5. Re: Another way of using technology in assessment
    Cath, will those be primarily teaching resources, or exam feedback? The essence of the original post Claire made was for me the use of video as an efficient way of giving feedback to learners. The ‘end of lectures’ thing was a red herring. Cheers, David.

6. Re: Another way of using technology in assessment
    Hi David Just posted as an example of current activities around creating resources from video/audio recordings. Our PG/CPD student assessments are almost all 3 – 4000 word assignments which are currently being submitted electronically to Turnitin. Use of Turnitin functionality to provide electronic feedback for students is under investigation. Do you think a research proposal based on “use of video as an efficient way of giving feedback to learners” would be favourably received? Cheers Cath

7. Re: Another way of using technology in assessment
    Would depend on who’s giving the money. Did you have anywhere in mind?

8. Re: Another way of using technology in assessment
    Catch22 would need to identify academics willing to participate!

9. Re: Another way of using technology in assessment
    Hi Cath, Thanks for sharing this link – the study skills resources there are building up nicely – lucky students. I particularly like the page on How to search the Literature Can you post here when the multimedia resource is uploaded please? Thanks to Sam for being brave enough to be videoed – does she get power of veto? Claire

10. Re: Another way of using technology in assessment
    Hi Claire, I’m not sure about the power of veto, but I won’t be rushing to have a look at the videos myself! Sam

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Forum followers

Follower data is not currently available.

Search results