Our labs boast an extensive suite of ultra-high vacuum (UHV) apparatus combining thin film growth, deposition and analysis. Other non-UHV facilities include spin-coating and other surface preparation facilities, a Kelvin Probe, and I-V and Hall measurement. We host the Photoemission Facility which has both VG Scienta R4000 (ARPES) and Omicron 7-channel 125mm analysers (XPS/UPS), LEED and in situ clean deposition. The two main MBE systems are in situ growth / analysis machines (so the sample can be grown by MBE and analysed without leaving UHV).
The following vacuum systems are installed or being designed; note the "M"-based naming convention whose origin is lost in the mists of time!
- MADGEneto: home-built twin-chamber MBE system with RHEED and room temperature STM.
- Morbius: custom-designed twin-chamber MBE system with RHEED, LEED, XPS, UPS, AES, IPES and quantum yield measurement. In development with Moorfield Nanotechnology.
- Matilda: small and portable high vacuum chamber for effusion cell testing and mass spectrometry.
- Mercutio (formerly Simon): small twin-chamber deposition system for photocathodes, including Zn and Mg film growth.
- Moneypenny: a new high vacuum thin film deposition system from Mantis Deposition with four-pocket thermal boat evaporator, 100mm rotating sample stage (600°C capability), total flux monitor and individual evaporator flux monitors.
- Kelvin Probe system (from KP Technology) for work function measurements under nitrogen/argon/ambient.
- Hall measurement system (fixed conditions: room temperature or 77K, 0.55 T).
- Nitrogen glove box and laminar flow cabinet for surface preparation.
- Spin coater from Ossila.