Our labs boast an extensive suite of ultra-high vacuum (UHV) apparatus combining thin film growth, deposition and analysis. Other non-UHV facilities include spin-coating and other surface preparation facilities, a Kelvin Probe, and I-V and Hall measurement. We host the Photoemission Facility which has both VG Scienta R4000 (ARPES) and Omicron 7-channel 125mm analysers (XPS/UPS), LEED and in situ clean deposition. The two main MBE systems are in situ growth / analysis machines (so the sample can be grown by MBE and analysed without leaving UHV).
The following vacuum systems are installed or being designed; note the "M"-based naming convention whose origin is lost in the mists of time!
- MADGEneto: home-built twin-chamber MBE system with RHEED and room temperature STM. Presently fitted with cells for Mn, Sb, Ga, Sr. Beam flux ion gauge and 50 amu mass spectrometer.
- Morbius: custom-designed twin-chamber MBE system for RHEED, LEED, XPS, UPS, AES, IPES and quantum yield measurement. Chamber 3D design and fabrication by Moorfield Nanotechnology. Presently fitted with cells for: In, Sb, Bi, Ta, Ti, As, B. Argon ion gun and thermal gas cracker. Beam flux ion gauge and 50 amu mass spectrometer.
- Matilda: small portable high vacuum chamber for effusion cell testing, mass spectrometry and "pumping cart" work.
- Mercutio (formerly Simon): small twin-chamber deposition system for photocathodes, including Zn and Mg oxide film growth and ZnSb thermoelectric films. Argon ion sputtering for substrate surface preparation.
- Moneypenny: a commercial high vacuum thin film deposition system with four-pocket thermal boat evaporator, 100mm rotating sample stage (600°C capability), total flux monitor and individual evaporator flux monitors.
- Mini-Me: a home-built high vacuum deposition chamber for testing effusion cells, etc. Flux monitor and ion gauge with top window for direct cell monitoring and IR pyrometry.
- Marvin: a home-built micro-chamber for quantum yield measurements at high vacuum, fixed 265 nm (UV LED). Vibration-isolated and contained in a Faraday cage.
- Kelvin Probe system (from KP Technology) for work function measurements under nitrogen/ambient and dark/illumination (selection of visible and UV LEDs); in a Faraday cage.
- Hall measurement system (fixed conditions: room temperature or 77K, 0.55 T).
- Nitrogen glove box and laminar flow cabinet for surface preparation.
- Vacuum cupboard for sample storage.
- Spin Coater and UV Ozone Cleaner from Ossila.