Our programme is unique in being taught across three world-leading academic departments, enabling you to gain the best training in high-level probability and statistics, numerical methods and programming and up-to-date knowledge of finance theory and practice:
The focus of the MSc in Mathematical Finance is to provide training in the intersection of algorithmic computational methods, including machine learning, and financial mathematics. This mathematically rigorous programme builds on your mathematical background to equip you with knowledge of probability and stochastic processes, statistics, machine learning and simulation methods, derivatives and asset pricing. This provides the tools to study topics such as automated trading strategies, interest rate and credit risk modelling, calibration to and estimation of financial data and risk management. You will learn to programme in Python, Matlab or R and undertake a module in C++ with financial applications. The programme culminates in a research project/dissertation that allows you to study a subject of interest to you in greater detail.
Why choose the Mathematics and Statistics departments at Warwick?
Mathematics and Statistics at Warwick have jointly ranked third in the UK among Mathematical Sciences groups in the REF 2014. We have more than 90% of our research activity rated as either internationally excellent or world leading (the highest REF 2014 grades, 3* and 4*). Maths and Stats were ranked 10 and 24 respectively in the 2019 Shanghai Ranking of academic departments, and 16 and 20 in the QS World Subject Rankings 2019. You will benefit from the proximity to the world leading groups in Computational Statistics and Stochastic Finance@Warwick:
- CRISM is a world leading centre for research in statistical methodology. Its specialities include algorithms for high-dimensional computationally intensive inference problems, stability of stochastic systems, robust statistical methods and machine learning, all of which are widely used in the Financial Industry today.
- Stochastic Finance@Warwick is a world-class centre for activity in mathematical finance within the Statistics Department. Its research focuses on the use of stochastic processes and probabilistic modelling in mathematical finance. Areas of activity include stochastic numerical methods, stochastic volatility, interest rate modelling, optimal stopping and control, behavioural finance, agent interactions, robust and model-free hedging, as well as many other topics.
Careers Services and Guidance
We organise visits by guest speakers from the finance industry. Topics of past talks include:
- Systematic/Quant Trading Strategies
- Quantitative Strategies for Hedge Funds
- High Frequency Trading in the Foreign Exchange Markets
- Success in the City
Students have a comprehensive pre-arrival, student and alumni careers service through WBS CareersPlus. You will have access to one-on-one career guidance appointments, CV checks, and tailored mock interviews. WBS will also provide a half-day course specific Career Essentials workshop covering skills for networking, interviews and assessment centres.
In addition to the specialised services from WBS, you will also have access to the University's Student Careers and Skills team and the university's graduate job site MyAdvantage which lists thousands of graduate job placements and internship opportunities through the year.
- About the course
- Application process
- Course structure
- Fees and scholarships
- Alumni testimonials
- Alumni destinations