I am a second year PhD student at the Department of Statistics working under the supervision of Professor Jane Hutton (Statistics) and Professor Ranjit Lall (Warwick Clinical Trials Unit). I am funded by an EPSRC Doctoral Training Account studentship. My research is focussed on the statistical modelling of skewed semi-continuous data in randomised controlled trials (RCTs) with applications of two-part models in RCTs of chronic pain. I am also researching the wider use of Patient Reported Outcome Measures (PROMs) in trauma and rehabilitation studies.
Prior to my PhD I worked for three years as a Medical Statistician within Warwick Clinical Trials Unit. I have been the trial statistician for multiple studies in the areas of trauma, rehabilitation, end of life care and mental health (FixDT, FASHIoN ,MILESTONE, RESPECT, I-WOTCH, FIS). In addition I have collaborated with other academics in the unit and at the local teaching hospital, organised conferences and workshops internally and externally. I am employed at Warwick CTU on a part time basis (20% FTE).
Before joining Warwick I worked as a Statistician/Epidemiologist at The Institute of Cancer Research, London where I worked on epidemiological studies of breast cancer in women and men; including a cohort study of over 100,000 women in the UK.
I have an MSc degree in Medical Statistics from the London School of Hygiene and Medicine and a BSc degree in Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistics and Economics from The University of Warwick.
A full list of publications can be found in my CV.
Journal articles (selected)
- Griffin JM, Lall R, Bruce J, Withers EJ, Finnegan S and Lamb SE. Comparison of alternative falls data collection methods in the Prevention of Falls Injury Trial (PreFIT). Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. In Press, Nov 2018.
- Costa ML, Achten J, Griffin JM, et al. Locking plate fixation versus intramedullary nail fixation for adult patients with a displaced fracture of the distal tibia: a randomised controlled trial (UK FixDT). Journal of American Medical Association, Nov 2017.
- DR Griffin, EJ Dickenson, PDH Wall, F Achana, JL Donovan, JM Griffin et al. Hip arthroscopy versus best conservative care for the treatment of femoroacetabular impingement syndrome (UK FASHIoN): a multicentre randomised controlled trial. The Lancet, June 2018.
- Signorini G, Warwick J, Griffin JM, et al. Architecture, Functioning and Transitional Care Interfaces of Child and Adolescent Menthal Health Services: A European 28 Country Survery. The Lancet Psychiatry, Jun 2017.
- Ellard DR, Underwood M, Achana F…,Griffin JM, et al.Facet joint injections for people with persistent non-specific low back pain (Facet Injection Study): a feasibility study for a randomised controlled trial. Health Technology Assessment 2017;21(30).
Costa ML, Achten J, Hennings S, Boota N, Griffin JM, Petrou S, Maredza M, Dritsaki M, Wood T, Masters J, Pallister I, Lamb SE, Parsons NR.Fixation of Distal Tibia Fractures (UK FixDT): a randomised controlled trial and economic evaluation of ‘locking’ plate fixation versus intramedullary nail fixation in the treatment of patients with a displaced fracture of the distal tibia. Health Technology Assessment
Talks & Presentations
- "A brief comparison of alternative falls data collection methods in the Prevention of Falls Injury Trial". Warwick Medical School Statistics Book Club, June 2019.
- "Tea with Xiao-Li Meng and Antonietta Mira". Special Young Researchers Meeting event, March 2019. I acted as interviewer and chair of the panel with ouver 50 staff and students in attendance.
- "The Maths behind MILESTONE: Improving Transition from Child to Adult Mental Health Services in Europe". Finalist:STEM for Britain 2018 Competition, March 2018, Houses of Parliament, London, UK. (My day in Parliament photo).
- "The Maths behind MILESTONE: Improving Transition from Child to Adult Mental Health Services in Europe".54th Gregynog Statistical Conference, March 2018, Tregynon, Wales.
- "Comparison and impact of prospective and retrospective falls data completion methods in the PreFIT trial: Results of a randomised methodology Study Within A Trial (SWAT)". Joint Meeting of Society of Clinical Trials & International Clinical Trials Methodology Conference 2017, Liverpool, UK
- “Statistical modelling of skewed data using transformations and two-part models in a large clinical trial of back pain”. International Society of Clinical Biostatistics Conference 2016, Birmingham, UK
- ST116 Mathematical Techniques (Term 1) - Dept of Statistics, 2018
- ST404 Applied Statistical Modelling (Term 2) - Dept of Statistics, 2019
- "Data Management & Statistical Considerations". Chief Investigators Course (2015, 2016, 2017) Warwick CTU
- Student mentorship of postgraduate medical students (SSC2) for final year projects (2016)
- ‘Stats for the Uninitiated". Warwick CTU Learning Club, 2016
- “Design and Analysis of Complex (multi-component) Interventions in Clinical trials”. Workshop Facilitator. International Clinical Trials Methodology Conference 2015, Glasgow, UK
- Member of Staff Student Liaison Committee, 1st year representative
- Independent statistician for two large NIHR funded trials (BASIL-2 and BASIL-3)
- Expert reviewer in Statistics for the NIHR HTA
- Journal article reviewer for Trials, Geriatrics and Gerontology International and Quality of Life Research.
- APTS Course Representative, Class of 2018