I am a fourth year PhD student in the Department of Statistics at the University of Warwick and work under the supervision of Prof. Chenlei Leng. I received my bachelor's and master's degree in mathematics from the University of Heidelberg, Germany.
Aside from statistics and mathematics, I am interested in cyber security, machine learning and distributed ledger technology. If you would like to have a chat about these things, feel free to get in touch.
I am interested in devising new methods for analysing large complex data sets that are high-dimensional or networked in nature. Currently I am researching a novel model for sparse networks that combines methods from stochastic network theory with those of high-dimensional data analysis.
Together with Tata Steel I am working on process optimisation and machine learning topics for steel manufacturing. We developed a guided analytics framework that allows the statistically untrained users to use state of the art statistical methods to extract optimal configurations for manufacturing parameters.
Publications and Software
A Sparse Random Graph Model for Sparse Directed Networks, preprint, available on arXiv.
A Sparse Beta Model with Covariates for Networks, preprint, available on arXiv.
A guided analytics tool for feature selection in steel manufacturing with an application to blast furnace top gas efficiency, (open access, link), Computational Materials Science, 2021, Volume 186.
igate: R package for initial Guided Analytics for Parameter Testing and Controlband extraction. This package automates initial data analysis and reporting of the results. It can be downloaded directly from CRAN or from GitHub for the latest development version.
Slides for these talks can be made available upon request.
- 28 September 2020: A Guided Analytics tool for feature selection, University of Leicester, I was invited by Prof. Hongbiao Dong to present my research in front of his research group.
- 17 August 2020: Analysis of annotated networks via the Sparse Beta Model (YouTube recording, slides), One World Symposium 2020.
- 19 May 2020: Analysis of annotated networks via the Sparse Beta Model (slides here), Young Researcher's Meeting.
- 09 January 2020: Analysis of annotated networks via the Sparse Beta Model, Research Training Group for Mathematical Statistics, University of Heidelberg.
- 22 November 2019: Not all 3D plots are bad. Some might even be useful or at least pretty, Westmidlands R User Group, Warwick (code for the 3D models of University of Warwick and Tower Bridge can be found on my GitHub).
- 30 October 2019: Social Engineering and text generation without neural networks (slides here), The Alan Turing Institute, London.
- 25 October 2019: Around the World in 64 hops: Visualizing your internet traffic on a map, Westmidlands R User Group, Warwick.
- 23 July 2019: A Sparse Beta Model with Covariates, (poster), European Meeting of Statisticians, Palermo.
- 29 May 2019: Web Crawling with R: How to extract the hyperlink network of personal webpages of the Warwick Stats Department, Westmidlands R User Group, Warwick.
- 04 April 2019: A guided analytics framework for process optimisation in steel manufacturing, International Conference on Applied Probability and Statistics, Hanoi.
- 28 November 2018: A guided analytics framework for process optimisation in steel manufacturing, Steel Talks, Warwick.
- 02 October 2018: Measure Theory in 60 minutes. Or Wilfrid is almost surely smarter than me,
Young Researcher's Meeting.
- 30 June 2017: A Central Limit Theorem for Martingales, Part of the Dynamical Models for Networks seminar series, Heidelberg.
- 06 June 2017: Geodesic Principal Component Analysis, Part of the Statistics of non-Euclidean Data seminar series, Heidelberg.
- 17 January 2017: Model Selection and Risk Bounds for non-parametric density estimation in the presence of dependent data, Part of the Statistics of Dependent Data seminar series, Heidelberg.
- 22 June 2016: A Conditional Capital Shortfall Measure of Systemic Risk, Part of the Financial Time Series seminar series, Heidelberg.
- 2020/21: PhD student representative on the departmental IT committee.
- 2019/21: Administrator of the Things I wish I had known when I started my PhD blog for APTS alumni.
- 2019/20: Third-year PhD student representative on the Student Staff Liaison Committee (SSLC).
- 2018/19: Chair of the Statistics Research Student Staff Liaison Committee (SSLC).
- 2017/18: APTS students representative.