Selected pre-2007 publications
- (2006). Pioneering autonomy: An interview with Leni Dam. Independence 39: 3-5.
- (2006) ‘Developing teacher-learner autonomy: constraints and opportunities in pre-service training', in Bobb-Wolff, L. and Vera Batista, J.L. (eds), Proceedings of The Canarian Conference on Developing Autonomy in the FL Classroom 2003. La Laguna, Spain: University of La Laguna.
- (2006) Japanese: Language and People, 2nd edition. London: BBC Active (1st edition 1991). [co-authored with T. Hughes Parry and B. Moeran].
(2005) (ed.). Teaching English as a Foreign Language, 1936–1961: Foundations of ELT, six volumes, with General Introduction (pp. xv–cxx). Abingdon: Routledge. Link to more informationLink opens in a new window. Reviewed in ELT Journal 61/1: 69-74.
(2005) 'Developing professional autonomy: an action research based MA module and its ongoing evaluation'. Interactions 9/2 (Issue 26). Online: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/ldc/resource/interactions/issues/issue26/smithLink opens in a new window
(2004) ‘Lessons from the past: traditions and reforms’, in Makarova, V. and T. Rodgers (eds.) English Language Teaching: The Case of Japan. Munich: Lincom Europa, 2004. [Co-authored with M. Imura]. Also available online.
- (2004) 'Learner autonomy and cross-cultural understanding', in Vieira, F., M.A. Moreira, I. Barbosa, M. Paiva and I.S. Fernandes (eds.) Pedagogia para a autonomia: resistir e agir estrategicamente. [Proceedings of the 2nd Conference of the Working Group-Pedagogy for Autonomy, University of Minho, May 2003, CD-ROM.] Braga: University of Minho, 235-46.
- (2004) Introduction to special issue on 'Cross-cultural concerns in English language teacher education and development'. English Language Teacher Education and Development 8: i-iv.[co-authored with G. Sharpling].
(2004) 'Lionel Billows (1909–2004): In memoriam'. English Language Teacher Education and Development 8: 83–87. [with Alan Maley]
(2004) English Language Teaching for Speakers of Other Languages, 1900-1980: A Comprehensive Bibliography, version 1. OnlineLink opens in a new window
- (2003) (ed.). Teaching English as a Foreign Language, 1912-1936: Pioneers of ELT, five volumes, with General Introduction and volume introductions. London: Routledge. Sample pagesLink opens in a new window. Link to more informationLink opens in a new window. Reviewed in ELT Journal 60/1: 79-83.
- (2003) (ed.) Learner Autonomy Across Cultures: Language Education Perspectives. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke. [Co-edited with David Palfreyman.] Link to more informationLink opens in a new window.
- (2003) 'Pedagogy for autonomy as (becoming-)appropriate methodology'. In Smith, R.C. and D. Palfreyman (eds), Learner Autonomy across Cultures. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- (2003) 'Postscript: Implications for language education'. In Smith, R.C. and D. Palfreyman (eds), Learner Autonomy across Cultures. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
(2003) 'Teacher education for teacher-learner autonomy', in Gollin, J., G. Ferguson and H. Trappes-Lomax (eds), Symposium for Language Teacher Educators: Papers from Three IALS Symposia (CD-ROM). Edinburgh: IALS, University of Edinburgh.
(2003) '"Faute de mieux"? Simulated action research, from participant perspectives', in Hancioglu, D. (ed.), TDTR5: [Proceedings of] Teachers Develop Teachers Research (CD-ROM). Ankara, Turkey: Middle Eastern Technical University & IATEFL Teacher Development and Research SIGs. [co-authored with P. Brown, S. Alagoz and S. Icmez].
- (2002) (ed.). Modern Language Teaching: The Reform Movement, five volumes, with General Introduction and volume introductions. London: Routledge. [Co-edited and co-authored with A.P.R. Howatt.] Sample pagesLink opens in a new window.
- (2002) Harold E. Palmer, 1877–1949’, in Cortazzi, H. (ed.) Britain and Japan: Biographical Portraits, Volume IV. London: Japan Library (Taylor & Francis), 233–46. [Co-authored with M. Imura.]
- (2002) ‘Autonomy, context and appropriate methodology’, in Vieira, F., M.A. Moreira, I. Barbosa and M. Paiva (eds) Pedagogy for Autonomy and English Learning: Proceedings of the 1st Conference of the Working Group-Pedagogy for Autonomy, University of Minho, 11th-14th March 2001. Braga: University of Minho, 13-23. Also available onlineLink opens in a new window (different page numbers).
- 2001. ‘Learner and teacher development: connections and constraints’. The Language Teacher 25/6: 43–4.
- 2001. ‘Group work for autonomy in Asia: insights from teacher research’. AILA Review 15: 70–81. Available online \at: http://www.aila.info/download/publications/review/AILA15.pdfLink opens in a new window
- 2001. Entry for 'Palmer, Harold E'.’ (co-author with M. Imura) in Byram, M. (ed.) Routledge Encyclopedia of Language Teaching and Learning. London: Routledge, pp. 458–9.
- 2001. ‘Harold E. Palmer, IRET and IRLT’. The Japanese Learner 20: 3–4.
- 2000–2001. ‘Interconnections: Learner autonomy, teacher autonomy’ (with Andy Barfield). Learning Learning 7, 8/1. Available online: http://ld-sig.org/LL/2000a.pdf and here (scanned).
Link opens in a new window
- 2000. Foundations of Foreign Language Teaching: Nineteenth-century Innovators, six volumes (Co-editor with A.P.R. Howatt). London: Routledge.
- 2000. ‘Starting with ourselves: Teacher-learner autonomy in language learning’. In Sinclair, B., McGrath, I. and Lamb, T. (eds.). Learner Autonomy, Teacher Autonomy: New Directions. London: Addison Wesley Longman, 89–99.
- 1999. The Writings of Harold E. Palmer: An Overview. Tokyo: Hon-no- Tomosha. Also available online: http://www.warwick.ac.uk/~elsdr/WritingsofH.E.Palmer.pdfLink opens in a new window
- 1999. ‘Learner autonomy in Japanese classrooms: An exchange of views’. (Co-author with Leni Dam, David Little and Haruko Katsura.) In JALT 98 (Proceedings of the 1998 JALT International Conference).
- 1999. ‘Teacher-learner autonomy: the role of conference and workshop design’. (Co-author with A. Barfield). In Proceedings of Teachers Develop Teachers Research (TDTR) 4 (CD-ROM). Whitstable, Kent: IATEFL. Also available online:
- 1999. ‘Autonomy in cultural context: the case of Japan’. (Co-author with N. Aoki). In Cotterall, S. and Crabbe, D. (eds.), Learner Autonomy in Language Learning: Defining the Field and Effecting Change. (Bayreuth Contributions to Glottodidactics, vol. 8). Frankfurt am Main: Lang, 19–28.
- 1999–2000. ‘Foreign Teachers in Japan (Parts 1–6). Eigokyoiku (The English Teacher’s Magazine), October 1999–March 2000.
- 1998. ‘The Palmer-Hornby contribution to English teaching in Japan’. International Journal of Lexicography 11/4: 269–91.
- 1998. ‘Harold E. Palmer's London Lectures and Related Publications (1915-21)’. IRLT Bulletin 12: 55–85.
- 1998 ‘Towards an alternative paradigm for teacher education in Japan’. Eigokyoiku (The English Teacher’s Magazine), January, 1998.
- 1998. ‘Teacher as learner; students as . . . more themselves?’ Independence 22 (Summer 1998): 5-9.
- 1997. ‘From Asian views of autonomy to revised views of Asia: beyond Autonomy 2000’. Learning Learning 4/1: 16-19 (also, in LALL (newsletter of the AILA Scientific Commission on Learner Autonomy in Language Learning), no. 3: 6-9.
- 1997. (in Japanese). ‘The challenge of World Englishes to English language education in Japan’. In Kawada, J. and Uemura, T. (eds.). Bunka no Mirai [Future(s) of Culture(s)] Tokyo: Miraisha, 158-167.
- 1997. (in Japanese). ‘Towards enhancement of English language education’. ELEC Bulletin, 103 (Special 40th Anniversary Issue), 62-67. (Co-author with K. Kanatani and K. Hirata).
- 1996. (in Japanese). 'Learning Japanese, from learner's points of view': affective and social factors in independent learning’. In Kamata, O. and Yamauchi, H. (eds.), Nihongo Kyoiku, Ibunkakan Komyunikeshon [Japanese Language Education and Intercultural Communication]. Tokyo: Bonjinsha, 105-125. English version available online: http://www.warwick.ac.uk/%7Eelsdr/Independent_learning.pdf Link opens in a new window
- 1995. ‘Team teaching in perspective’. The Language Teacher 19/3: 50-52, 58.
- 1995. (in Japanese) ‘JSL [Japanese as a second language] learners' ideas for use of authentic listening resources’. (Co-author with T. Hughes Parry and N. Aoki.) The Language Teacher 19/7: 22-24.
- 1995. (in Japanese) ‘Future roles of non-Japanese teachers in Japanese English education’. Gendai Eigo Kyoiku, June, 1995, 16-17.
- 1994. ‘Learner development: what might it be?’, in Wood, D. (ed.), Third Annual Symposium Proceedings of JALT’s Special Interest Groups: Kobe 1993. Fukuoka, Japan: JALT, 23-26. Adapted from an editorial in Learning Learning 1/1, available online: http://coyote.miyazaki-mu.ac.jp/learnerdev/LLE/Richard11E.html Link opens in a new window
- 1994. ‘Towards more teacher-centred, ‘communicative’ team teaching’. Team Teaching Bulletin 2/3, 7-10. Also (1995), ‘A reply to Colin Sloss’. Team Teaching Bulletin 3/1.
- 1994. ‘Contents and activities in team teaching: lessons from observation’, in Wada, M. and Cominos, A. (eds.), Studies in Team Teaching. Tokyo: Kenkyusha, 72-89.