Skip to main content

6: Your feedback and concerns

Your feedback to us

The Department places great value on your feedback and we have a number of mechanisms in place to ensure we receive and act on feedback on all aspects of your experience within the Department and the University in general.

You can provide feedback to us through a number of mechanisms such as:

  • Module Evaluation
  • Your Personal Tutor or Senior Tutor
  • the Graduate Student-Staff Liaison Committee (GSSLC) for MRes/PhD Students
  • the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES) in the Summer Term and the Postgraduate Experience Survey (PRES) for PhD students (every two years)
  • Departmental online feedback form
  • Participation in focus groups, which take place annually.

The Head of Department, Professor Jeremy Smith, is also happy to hear thoughts from students regarding all operations within the Department. You may reach him via email: or via his PA Gill Gudger:

We strive to offer every student the best possible experience and it is your feedback that will enable us to continually improve. The University actively encourages feedback on all aspects of the student experience.

Module evaluation

In the Autumn and Spring Terms you will be asked to fill in an online evaluation questionnaire for each Economics module that you take. This gives you the opportunity to express your views on various aspects of the module.

The feedback you provide is an essential input into our quality management process. It will help to improve the teaching and learning environment for you and for future generations of students. We ask you to take part in it thoughtfully and seriously. The Autumn and Spring Term online module evaluation also form two of your Contact Points.

This is what happens to your feedback:

1. Students complete anonymous module evaluation form online (the IT team can identify who has completed module evaluation for the purposes of contact points but not who has written what).

2. Your feedback is received by Module Leader, Director of PGT and Head of Department.

3. The Module Leader writes annual report on module, reviewing student feedback.

4. The Course Director writes annual course review report, taking into account module reports.

5. Annual module/course reports are reviewed by the Graduate Management Committee. Action is taken where needed.

6. The GSSLC receives feedback on the outcome of the module and course reports.

Focus Groups

In the summer term of each year, we hold focus groups with MRes/PhD students to gather further feedback on aspects of the course and the department and to identify any issues which may not have been raised or dealt with during the year. These sessions are led by the Director MRes/PhD or by the departments Marketing & Student Experience Team. Participation in the latter focus groups is usually rewarded with vouchers for food outlets on campus.

Student Surveys: PTES and PRES

In years 1 and 2 of the MRes we will ask you to take part in the PTES survey (Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey). This is a national survey, which all UK universities take part in and the results feed into various national league tables. The survey provides another opportunity for you to provide feedback and we would encourage all students to take part. Last year the department made a charitable donation (for each response received) to a charity voted for by the student cohort. There was also a prize draw for all MSc and MRes students, triggered once the response rate reached 50%. For more information about this survey please visit the department's PTES webpage.

The PRES (Postgraduate Research Experience Survey takes place every other year. Your participation in this survey is greatly valued and will contribute to the continuous enhancement of postgraduate research degree provision at Warwick. For more information about this survey please visit the university's PRES webpage. The next PRES will take place in 2019.

How to raise concerns

There may be occasions during your time in the Department when things go wrong. The information below explains how to make a complaint.

Informal channels (Stage 1)

You may wish to contact the member of staff in the Department whose actions have caused the issue to occur. You may also want to talk to your Personal Tutor for advice. If you believe the issue is of a general nature relating to the teaching and learning provision in your department, you may alternatively contact your GSSLC representative, who can raise the matter on your behalf.

Occasionally there are disputes of a personal nature. These are rare, but cannot be ruled out in a large organisation like a university. Personal difficulties may arise if you believe that another student or a member of staff is discriminating against you or harassing you on grounds of personal dislike or broader prejudice. In such circumstances you may take the matter up with your Personal Tutor, who will help you refer the issue to the appropriate authority. If you do not feel comfortable doing this, you may contact the Students’ Union’s Education Officer or the Student Advice Centre for support.

In the event of a personal dispute involving your Personal Tutor, we recommend that you contact the Director of Academic and Pastoral Support (who will assign you a new Personal Tutor at your request and without requiring you to give reasons if you do not wish to do so).

Formal channels (Stage 2)

Student Academic Complaints Procedure

A complaint should initially be made in writing to the person responsible for the action which has given rise to the complaint. Where this is not appropriate (e.g. where you do not feel comfortable contacting the person responsible directly or where there has been previous unproductive discussion/disagreement) or where such action has been taken and the matter has not been satisfactorily resolved, it should be raised with the Head of Department or their deputy.

If, having contacted the Head of Department or their deputy, you remain dissatisfied with the outcome of consideration of your complaint, the University has a Student Academic Complaints Procedure to deal with complaints about the teaching and learning process, provided that the complaint is received within three months of the occurrence about which the complaint is made.

Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA)

Complaints that have exhausted the University’s internal procedures can, at the discretion of the individual submitting the complaint, be submitted to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator. The OIA has the power to investigate complaints and make recommendations to the University where procedures need changing. The OIA can also recommend financial compensation be offered to the individual submitting the complaint.

Find out if your complaint qualifies under the OIA regulations.

All students should feel free to contact any member of staff with issues.