Telephone: +44 (0)24 765 75557
Email: Daniel dot Sgroi at warwick dot ac dot uk
Advice & feedback hours: Term 1: Tue 1100-1200 (Teams only) & Thu 1100-1200 (In person or Teams). Sign up here
Co-ordinator, Experimental & Behavioural Economics Research Group
Academic Lead, Behaviour, Brain & Society, GRP
- Behavioural Economics, Experimental Economics, Economics & Psychology.
- Behavioural Data Science, Language and Text Analysis, Subjective Well-being, Learning and Beliefs.
Daniel’s current interests lie in attempting to understand how psychological traits, cognitive biases, mood, language and beliefs affect behaviour. He is Co-ordinator of the Experimental and Behavioural Economics Research Group in the Economics Department and is one of the academic leads of the Behaviour, Brain & Society global research priority (GRP) for Warwick, which oversees the inter-disciplinary DR@W group of behavioural and experimental researchers. Daniel is a member of the World Wellbeing Panel in Barcelona, a Research Fellow of the IZA in Bonn, and is affiliated with the Behavioural Data Science research programme at the Alan Turing Institute in London. To find out more please visit his personal website.
Current Working Papers
- Ingroup Bias with Multiple Identities: The Case of Religion and Attitudes Towards Government Size, IZA DP 14714, 2021, with Jonathan Yeo and Shi Zhuo.
- Measuring National Life Satisfaction with Music, IZA DP 14258, 2021, with Emmanouil Benetos, Alessandro Ragano and Anthony Tuckwell. Revise and resubmit at Behavior Research Methods.
- The Effect of Self-Awareness and Competition on Dishonesty, IZA DP 14256, 2021, with Ceren Bengu Cibik.
- Mindfulness Reduces Information Avoidance, Center for Law & Economics WP 13, 2021, with Elliot Ash, Anthony Tuckwell and Shi Zhuo.
- Cultural Identity and Social Capital in Italy, IZA DP 13783, 2020, with Michela Redoano, Federica Liberini, Ben Lockwood, Emanuele Bracco & Francesco Porcelli. Revise and resubmit at the Review of Economics & Statistics.
- Climate Change and Diet, IZA DP 13426, 2020, with Neha Bose & Thomas Hills.
- The Effects of Social Capital on Government Performance and Turnover: Theory and Evidence from Italian Municipalities, Warwick Economics Research Papers 1284, 2020, with Ben Lockwood, Francesco Porcelli, Michela Redoano, Emanuele Bracco & Federica Liberini.
- Small Talk and Theory of Mind in Strategic Decision-Making, CAGE WP 409, 2019 (revised August 2020), with Neha Bose. Revise and resubmit at PLOS ONE.
- Ignoring Good Advice, Warwick Economics Research Papers 1150, 2018, with David Ronayne.
A full publication list, including non-technical summaries, slides and data files, is available here.
- Evaluating the Sunk Cost Effect, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 186: 318-327, 2021, with David Ronayne & Anthony Tuckwell. Final published version.
How Susceptible are you to the Sunk Cost Fallacy? Harvard Business Review, July 15 2021, with David Ronayne & Anthony Tuckwell.
- Historical Analysis of National Subjective Wellbeing using Millions of Digitized Books, Nature: Human Behaviour 3(12): 1271–1275, 2019, with Thomas Hills, Eugenio Proto & Chanuki Seresinhe. Data files & Final published version. This paper has been cited in the media over 150 times, including the front page of the Times and many radio/TV spots, see here for the press release and initial reactions and here for ongoing reactions.
- Happiness, Cooperation and Language, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 168: 209-228, 2019, with Eugenio Proto & Mahnaz Nazneen. Final published version. WP version entitled The Effect of Positive Mood on Cooperation in Repeated Interaction.
- Biased Beliefs and Imperfect Information, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization 136: 186-202, 2017, with Eugenio Proto. Final published version.
- Happiness and Productivity, Journal of Labor Economics 33(4): 789-822, 2015 with Andrew Oswald & Eugenio Proto. Final published version. This paper has been cited in the media over 200 times, see here for initial reactions and here for ongoing reactions, and has over 1100 cites on Google Scholar.
- How Should Peer Review Panels Behave? Economic Journal 123(570): 255-278, 2013, with Andrew Oswald. Final published version.
- The Optimal Choice of Pre-launch Reviewer, Journal of Economic Theory 147(3): 1247-1260, 2012, with David Gill. Final published version.
- Herding, Contrarianism and Delay in Financial Market Trading, European Economic Review 56: 1020-1037, 2012, with Andreas Park. Final published version.
- Are Happiness and Productivity Lower among University Students with Newly-Divorced Parents? Experimental Economics 15(1): 1-23, 2012 with Andrew Oswald & Eugenio Proto. Final published version.
- Learning to Play 3x3 Games: Neural Networks as Bounded-Rational Players, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization 69(1): 27-38, 2009, with Daniel J. Zizzo. Final published version.
- Sequential Decisions with Tests, Games & Economic Behavior 63(2): 663-678, 2008, with David Gill. Final published version.
- Neural Networks and Bounded Rationality, Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications 375(2), article 33, 2007, with Daniel J. Zizzo. Final Published Version.
- A Power Law Distribution for Tenure Lengths of Sports Managers, Physica A: Satistical Mechanics and its Applications 370(2), article 44, 2006, with Toke Aidt, Bernard Leong and William Saslaw. Final Published Version.
- The Right Choice at the Right Time: A Herding Experiment in Endogenous Time, Experimental Economics 6(2): 159-180, 2003. Final published version.
- Optimizing Information in the Herd: Guinea Pigs, Profits and Welfare, Games & Economic Behavior 39(1): 137-166, 2002. Final published version.