Telephone: +44 (0)24 761 50045
Email: S dot Paredes-Fuentes at warwick dot ac dot uk
Personal website: www.stefania-paredes.euLink opens in a new window
Advice and feedback hours:
Book an individual slot hereLink opens in a new window.
Associate Professor | Deputy Director UG Studies Economics
Deputy Chair Faculty Social Sciences Education Committee
Stefania is currently working in various research projects on Economic Education including how students engage with resources and how these resources contribute to their performance in assessments. She is also editor for "Teaching Macroeconomics: A Modern and Inclusive Approach" as part of the Elgar Guides to TeachingLink opens in a new window, to be published in 2022.
In January 2022, Stefania was appointed as an advisor to review the QAA Economics Subject Benchmark Statement, which defines the academic standards for Economics graduates and describe the nature of the subject.
Stefania is Diversity Champion for the Royal Economic SocietyLink opens in a new window. In this role, Stefania will help to embed diversity into the RES decision-making process and promote diversity across all the Society's activities. Stefania is a member of the Executive Committee and a trustee of the RES.
Her current research looks at how to create more inclusive teaching environments at university. The most recent project aims to understand whether the changes in assessments introduced after COVID19 can help us to engage with more inclusive pedagogical practices. Other projects look at how students engage with different teaching resources and how this engagement affects their attainment, and how assessment design affects awarding gaps among different demographic groups. She gives regular talks on these topics, you can find the more recent talks here.Link opens in a new window
Since 2020, she co-organises the #EconTEAching chatsLink opens in a new window, a series of seminars on Economics Education with the Centre for Teaching and Learning EconomicsLink opens in a new window at UCL.
At Warwick, she co-facilitates the Anti-Racist Teaching Pedagogy Forum and chairs the sub-group on "Decolonising Social Sciences" as part of the Faculty of Social Sciences' Education Committee.
Stefania is SFHEALink opens in a new window, CTaLE Associate, Senior Associate and Exec member of the Economics NetworkLink opens in a new window, Alumna Fellow WIHEA and Associate Fellow of the Warwick Institute of EngagementLink opens in a new window.
- Economic Growth and Development
- Institutional Economics
- Pedagogical Methods in Economics Education
- Latin America
- How to Start Decolonising Social Sciences: A Workbook. October 2022
- Includes the "Decolonising the Academic Year" Calendar.
- How can we promote diversity in Economics? The Economics Observatory. July 2021
- Unit 9 "The labour market: Wages, profits, and unemployment" The Economy, CORE-Econ ProjectLink opens in a new window. Guide to Online and Blended Teaching and Learning (needs instructor access). June 2021
- Nuovi Modelli di Sviluppo? Non più senza guardare alle DisuguaglianzeLink opens in a new window, Rivista "in Europa", n. 1/2021 (in Italian)
- Assessments after COVID19. Preliminary Survey Results. September 2020
- Assessments in the Brave New World: A Reflection on 24/48h AssignmentsLink opens in a new window. The Economics Network Case Study, September 2020.
- Moving Multiple Choice Test Online: Challenges and ConsiderationsLink opens in a new window. Reflection prepared for the Economics Network Virtual Symposium, The Economics Network Case Study, October 2020.
- "Economics for All: 7 Action Points to Make Economics More InclusiveLink opens in a new window", September 2020.
A report from the "Women in Economics: Student WorkshopLink opens in a new window" with various students participating at the event on what Departments of Economics can do to start the change.
- "Assessment in the Time of Pandemic: A Panic-Free Guide"Link opens in a new window (with Tim Burnett), Economics Network case study, June 2020
Grants and Prizes
- IATL Grant "Decolonising Social Sciences" ~£8,000 June 2022
- Warwick Award for Teaching Excellence, 2021
- RES Covid Support Fund "Using videos in Economic Teaching: An Experimental Approach" (joint with Stefania Sitzia), ~£10,000 September 2021
- RES Special Grant "Women in Economics: Students' Workshop", ~£5,000 - March 2019
- Warwick Innovation Fund, ~£3,000 August 2019
Workshop "Exploring a PhD in Economics". A collaboration between the Royal Economic Society and The Black Economists Network, June 2021.
Workshop on Everyday Excellence in an Extraordinary Year,Link opens in a new window WIHEA Teaching Recognition and Reward Learning Circle, 24th May 2021
Anti-Racist Pedagogy Teaching ForumLink opens in a new window, various dates 2020-2021
This is part of the Anti-Racist Pedagogy and Process in HE WIHEA Learning CircleLink opens in a new window
Economics Network Virtual Symposium. June and September 2020
"Women in Economics: Students' Workshop"Link opens in a new window. January 2020 (sponsored by the RES and Warwick Innovation Fund
- Diversity Champion Royal Economic Society
- Academic Champion Discover Economics
- Member of the QAA Economics Subject Benchmark Statement Advisory Group
- Executive Board Member Royal Economic Society
- Executive Board Member and Senior Associate Economics Network
- Associate Centre for Teaching and Learning EconomicsLink opens in a new window at UCL
- Co-organiser #EconTEAching seminar series (with CTaLELink opens in a new window)
- External Examiner UCL BSc Economics
- External Examiner Leeds BSc Economics
- EC108 Macroeconomics I (Module leader)
- EC230 Economics of Money and Banking (Module leader)
- EC339 Applied Macroeconomics (Module leader)
- EC331 Research in Applied Economics (Project Supervisor)
- MSc Dissertation supervision
- Deputy Chair Faculty of Social Sciences' Education Committee
- Chair of the Decolonising Social Sciences Sub-Group (FSS)
- Chair FYBOE Faculty of Social Sciences
- Co-organiser of the Anti-Racist Teaching Pedagogy ForumLink opens in a new window at Warwick
- Deputy Director UG Studies Economics
- Member Economics Students' Progression Working group
- Member Economics Well-being, Equality and Diversity Group
- Member of the University Disciplinary Committee
- WIHEA Alumna FellowLink opens in a new window
- Warwick Institute of EngagementLink opens in a new window Associate Fellow