The IKON (Innovation, Knowledge & Organizational Networks) Research Centre invites applications for doctoral research scholarships to run for 3 years (subject to satisfactory progress) starting in October 2013. These new scholarships provide £10000pa which may be used towards Warwick University PhD fees (currently £3900 at UK/EU level) and/or living expenses. Successful applicants will be able to fully participate in the IKON Research Centre activities.
Applications should aim to complement any aspect of IKON’s current research programme (see http://warwick.ac.uk/go/ikon), but applicants with an interest in the following areas are especially welcome:
- Comparative international (esp. UK, US, Brazil) studies of biomedical innovation focusing on the translation of innovation into clinical practice
- The role of social networks and ‘communities of practice’ in supporting innovation
- The institutional and organizational barriers to the development of ‘open innovation’ strategies by firms
- The role of social factors, including trust, in the commercialization of early stage technology
- The influence of fashion, social networks, and discourses on the spread of new management ideas and organisational forms
- Knowledge and learning in project-based organizations
- The circulation of innovation in health care
- Practice-based approaches to knowing and learning in organisations
Applicants should have a relevant masters' degree, although consideration will be given to those with other appropriate experience.
Further information about the scholarships is available from IKON’s Research Coordinator, Dawn Coton (email@example.com tel: +44 (0)24 7652 4503). Informal enquiries, including discussion or advice on potential research topics, can be addressed to the IKON Director, Professor Jacky Swan (email: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: +44 (0)24 7652 4271).
Application forms and further particulars about the doctoral programme at WBS are available from http://www.wbs.ac.uk/students/doctoral/ and from Assistant Programme Coordinator, Doctoral Programme, WBS, University of Warwick, Coventry CV4 7AL (email@example.com) tel: 024 7657 2687.
The scholarship is only open to students who are beginning their doctoral studies at Warwick. Applicants should normally have, or expect to obtain by September 2013, a relevant masters' degree (e.g. in organization studies, innovation studies etc.) Applicants without such qualifications who can demonstrate appropriate other experience are also welcome to apply.
Applicants will have to fulfil the normal entry requirements of Warwick Business School and the University. Applications should be made using the University's online application system which can be accessed at http://www.wbs.ac.uk/students/doctoral/applying.cfm. This online form will prompt you for an explanation how you will finance your research at WBS, and you should add 'IKON Research Scholarship'.
The online application system will prompt you to either upload two academic references or give details of two academic referees who the University of Warwick will contact for references. You should also prepare and upload a full research proposal as well as a separate statement how your research fits into IKON's research programme.
For information on preparing your research proposal, please see http://www.wbs.ac.uk/students/doctoral/writing.cfm. For your statement of interest in the IKON award, we suggest a two to three page document of no more than 1000 words.
The closing date for applications is 8th June, 2013.