The core Active Bystander activities of the Community Values Education Programme (CVEP) were originally developed using content from The Intervention InitiativeLink opens in a new window which is a free, open-access, resource to be used by universities and colleges for the prevention of sexual coercion and domestic abuse in university settings. It was created at UWE (University of the West of England) BristolLink opens in a new window and funded by Public Health EnglandLink opens in a new window.
The source is Fenton, R. A., Mott, H. L., McCartan, K. and Rumney, P. (2014). The Intervention Initiative. Bristol: UWE and Public Health England.
We engaged in a two-year trial period of the activities and worked with staff, students and the developers of the original intervention to update and tailor the content to the University of Warwick. The core CVEP team were trained by Helen Mott, one of the original developers of the Intervention Initiative, using a train-the-trainer approach.
All of our activities and resources are underpinned by the Warwick's five core principles. These principles set out our expectations of how we behave as a University community, both as individuals and as an institution. The principles are:
- We treat everyone with respect.
- We do not tolerate discrimination.
We do not tolerate sexual misconduct, violence or abuse.
- We keep our campus and community safe.
“We” means all of us, students and staff alike.
The early development phases of the project were funded by Warwick's Institute for Advanced Teaching and Learning (IATL)Link opens in a new window. The programme is now funded by the Education Group.Link opens in a new window
Thank you to our sub-project funders for supporting projects that expand on our core work:
- The Maskulinities sub-project is jointly funded by CVEP, the Warwick Student's UnionLink opens in a new window, and IATL.
- Our Active Bystanders in the Teaching Space project was funded by WIHEA.
Previous team members
Thank you to our previous team members for their valuable contributions and helping us to embed CVEP into the student experience at Warwick:
- Active Bystander Champions: Yihan Tian and Yazhuo Liu.
- Student Engagement Officers: Fay Inverarity, Sophie Norman, Nikita Asnani, Chinwe Onuegbu, Eleanor Molloy, Emily Dunford, Hannah Ayres, and Karen Dhillon.
- Interns (via Student OpportunityLink opens in a new window): Sophie Norman and Margot Potter.
- Tutors: Cherisse Francis, Beth Jennings, Olugbemi Moronfolu, Elizabeth Lockwood, Dr Pierre Botcherby and Eve Doran.
- Project Officers: Dr Josh Patel and Dr Pierre Botcherby.
- Research Assistants: Julia Al-Sharifi and Dr Krystal Douglas.
- Facilitation assistants: Aakarsh Belur and Victoria Inwang.
- Sub-project members:
- Dr Marco Venturi, co-lead on the Maskulinities project.
- Will Brewer, co-lead on the Maskulinities project.
- Academic Leads: Prof. Jonny Heron and Dr Jane Bryan.