We’re heading into the new academic year with over 500 car parking spaces more than we did this time last year. This includes the creation of extra parking at University House and Westwood Campus following the demolition of derelict buildings, and the new staff permit holder Lynchgate Car Park. Car park 3 has now closed to make way for our work on the new residences at Cryfield Village.
Since the autumn term is always the busiest time of year on campus, we’d like to provide a full update on car parking at Warwick with details of the options available to you.
Parking on Central Campus
We expect Central Campus to fill up first and fast on a daily basis (with the exception of blue badge bays which are available accross Central Campus). To forewarn drivers, we will have campus parking information in place on the approach roads. If notified Central Campus parking is full, please proceed directly to alternative parking:
Staff permit holder parking is available at Lynchgate. Please use Lynchgate if you are a staff permit holder based on Central Campus and approaching campus from the A45 direction. When Central Campus parking is full, staff permit holders should proceed to Lynchgate car park.
Milburn House Car Park
Permit holder parking is available through the barrier at Milburn House and often has spaces available later in the day.
There are multiple parking areas for permit holders and pay and display users on Westwood that tend to fill up later in the day than Central Campus.
Improvements for drivers
- Our new exit route from the Science Park will open on Monday 9 October, helping to ease congestion in the Science Park and Lynchgate area.
- The bus lane between Kirby Corner Road and the roundabout with Lynchgate Road will be removed before the start of term and the twin roundabouts re-lined to improve vehicle capacity and ease congestion approaching the A45.
Gibbet Hill-based users have exclusive access to Car park 6 (Health Centre) until 2:45pm every week day. After 2:45 car park 6 is available to all permit holders.
Visitor car parking is available in car park 15 (behind the IMC) daily. If you're a member of staff and you have an upcoming event involving external visitors, please submit your request online to reserve parking for them. Even when signage says Central Campus parking is full, if your visitors are reserved, their spaces will be available. Please make sure you communicate this to your visitors.
Options open to you
To make your journeys to campus quicker and easier, and to help us cut congestion and reduce the University’s carbon emissions, there are a range of options you may want to consider:
- Multi-mode parking permit trial: a flexible parking permit trial that offers salaried staff the chance to save money and cut congestion by driving as little as possible, but leaves the option of occasional driving open.
- Car sharing: we run schemes for both staff and students.
- Flexi-pay scratch cards: if permits aren’t an option for you, these scratch cards make it easier to pay and display, and come with a discount if you pay through Eating at Warwick.
- Bus services: we recently announced some improvements to the National Express 11 and 12X services, and a £1 Campus Hopper ticket that’s valid anywhere between Gibbet Hill Campus and Prior Deram Walk in Canley.
- Flexible working: If you’d like to avoid traffic queues by starting and finishing earlier or later in the day, speak to your manager. While not appropriate for all roles, in some cases this is an excellent way to avoid peak traffic
Kirby Corner multi-story car park
Outline planning permission has been approved by Coventry City Council for our proposed new multi-storey car park next to University House. We’re now working on technical designs for the car park, and expect work to start on site in early 2018.
We're preparing alternative parking arrangements for when the project starts, and will keep you up to date closer to the time.