What is it?
Every day the Estates Office creates documents and records, both electronic and paper, which need to be managed in an appropriate manner. Estates Information Management has developed a Records Retention Schedule unique to the needs of the Estates department, which will help control the creation, filing, retention, storage and disposal of records in line with current legislation. Please read and use the information in these pages to find out what you need to keep and for how long.
What do I need to do?
- Find out what records you or your department holds.
- Search the Records Retention Schedule to see how long you need to keep it.
- Keep the record digitally if at all possible as storage space is limited. See Guide to Keeping Records in Digital Form Only
- If you need to keep it on paper, ask the Property & Asset Information Team to store it for you.
- Destroy anything you don’t need to keep.
- Apply this to both paper and electronic files including emails.
- Search the advice and guidance for more information.
Estates Information Coordinator,
Property and Asset Information Team
02476 524 243
Please contact the team if you need help with any aspect of document or record keeping.