Co-Chairs (PSS and Academic)
James Breckon (Director of Estates)
Professor Christine Ennew (Provost and UEB Sponsor)
Director of the Institute for Global Sustainable Development
|Dr Nikoleta Jones (acting)|
Director of Environmental Sustainability & Transport
|Two members of academic staff nominated by Research Committee||
Professor Caroline Meyer
Professor Jackie Hodgson
|Two members of academic staff nominated by Education Committee||
Dr Volkan Degirmenci
Professor Pat Tissington
|Commercial Director (or nominated representative from CCSG)||Rupert Lawrie|
|Head of Service Delivery, Warwick Retail||Mark Potter|
|Head of Strategic Programmes and Governance, Estates||Charlotte Lewis|
Dr Lee Martin (Arts)
Jackie Clarke (Social Sciences)
Richard Seago (WMG)
|A Member of Professional Services Staff||
Andrew Todd (Director Regional Strategy and Partnerships)
Marketing and Communications Lead
Charlotte Ridley (Director of Brand and Commercial Marketing)
Up to five co-opted members
Fred Dahlmann (Chair, SDG Advisory Group)
Dr Caroline Kuzemko (Politics and International Studies)
Katherine Mayfield (Sustainability Champion)
Shannon Stevenson (Internal Communications Officer, Engagement Group)
Stephanie Whitehead (Programme & Evaluation Manager, Global Sustainable Development)
Gemma Wilkins (Senior Project Manager, Strategic Change Team)
|Two representatives from the Students’ Union||Shingai Dzumbira (2022)
Jacob Jefferson (2022)
NB: The year after a member's name indicates that their term of office expires on 31 July of that year.
1. To be responsible, on behalf of the University Executive Board and the University Estate and Environment Committee, for coordinating the University’s approach to Environmental and Social Sustainability. ESSAG works with, and advises other relevant committees and groups in the context of their remit which impacts Environmental and Social Sustainability.
To discuss and recommend, as necessary, to the University Executive Board/ University Estate and Environment Committee/ Financial Plan Sub-Committee:
2. Proposals regarding the facilitation, coordination, implementation and continuous improvement of the University five Routes to Net Zero.
3. Proposals for the development of a culture of sustainability within the institution to include raising awareness, building confidence and providing support.
4. Substantive proposals to encourage and promote locally generated sustainability initiatives, including recommendations for resourcing implications as required.
5. Environmental sustainability communication programmes to raise awareness and promote broader environmental and social sustainability.
6. The University Annual Sustainability Statement, providing an assessment on progress against agreed KPIs, governance effectiveness and recommendations for improvement.
To recommend to the Policy Oversight Group:
7. Environmental and social sustainability-related policies and procedures.
8. The establishment and disestablishment of any necessary sub-groups acting as a network of resources to actively progress sustainability Routes to Zero.
9. Reports on the implementation of the University’s approach to Environmental and Social Sustainability.
10. Reports from Faculties, Departments and other relevant committees and groups on planning and operations, to ensure these are aligned with the University’s overarching approach to environmental and social sustainability.
11. Reports from sub-groups e.g. the Sustainable Development Advisory Group and Energy Infrastructure Group.
12. To the University Executive Board regularly (and at least three times per year) on operational activity in support of the Environmental and Social sustainability objectives.
13. To the University Estate and Environment Committee as required and at least annually.
The Environment and Social Sustainability Action Group (ESSAG) is a sub-group of the University Estate and Environment Committee (UEEC) and an associated committee of the University Executive Board (UEB).
Click here to see a diagrammatic representation of the Committee Structure.
Secretary: Michelle Dunckley (Senior Administrative Assistant, Estates) (michelle dot dunckley at warwick dot ac dot uk)
Thursday, 13 January 2022, 10am - 11am
Wednesday, 23 March 2022, 2pm - 3pm